Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Sluggish and Underpowered JK

Old 07-22-2008, 03:28 AM
JK Jedi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TINMAN080
Back in the olden days, The amc 6 was used in Americans, Gremlins ,Pacers for god's sake. Continuous upgrades and the first thing you know, the good old AMC 6 belongs in a SHRINE. And I know the 232,258 was not a 4.0, but it was nothing but an updated economy car motor. Most motors are ho-hum until they are accidently put into a platform that makes them SHINE. I have yet to talk to a Jeep mechanic that does not PRAISE this ''minivan motor''. Tough as hell, they do virtually no work on them...
Don't be surprised if in 10 years when the next Jeep is coming out with a new engine config people bitch about the loss of the "reliable old 3.8L"
Old 07-22-2008, 04:40 AM
JK Jedi Master

I'm very happy with the engine, I'd like to swap one into my TJ...

of course it has the big 4 cyclinder...
Old 07-22-2008, 04:21 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by pearl-drum-man
Don't be surprised if in 10 years when the next Jeep is coming out with a new engine config people bitch about the loss of the "reliable old 3.8L"
YOU HIT IT PEARL!!!!
Old 07-22-2008, 05:24 PM
JK Newbie

well I can chime in on this (well sorta). I just traded my 05 Xterra for an 03 Rubi, and there is a huge difference (so I can't really comment on the JK's). It seems as though the X was made for highway. The specs still say that the torque on the X is more than my rubi, BUT there is a HUGE difference in gearing. When I put the X in 4lo, I could climb almost anything, 4lo in the jeep, and I can climb up walls. I have to say, I do miss my X, like the rubi, and can't wait to get the JK (the reason for joing the board).
Old 07-23-2008, 08:27 PM
JK Freak

Default it's a Jeep!

the JK is an awesome off-road vehicle - it's a cadillac compared to the 2006 and older vehicles.

when we road in tellico (NC) the JK was rolling over everything while the 2006 was clanging and bottoming out - even though they had similar lifts and tires.

if you bought a JK to have a convertible and awesome off-road vehicle (like most folks) - then you have a match

if you bought the JK for 'performance', take kids to soccer practice and get good gas milage - you're better off getting the mini-van with a 3.8.

unlike a lot of the yuppy year jeeps, the JK is geared to be driven off-road.
and after owning a 69 charger, v6 passat and an integra - my now daily driver JK 'slow ride' is a refreshing change - and should help clear off the long list of interstate tickets.

fyi - when my jeep was stock, i could get up to 24 mpg's if i used the cruise everywhere - that meant waiting for the cruise incremental increases to bring jeep up to speed. you won't go anywhere fast, and will piss a lot of rice burners off - but at least you'll be visiting the pump less.

Quick Reply: Sluggish and Underpowered JK