Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Sluggish and Underpowered JK

Old 07-02-2008, 01:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ike
Mile after mile of trouble free, low maintenance service

completely agree with you, but you don't normally associate mini-vans and 1/4 miles times either do ya????
Old 07-02-2008, 04:32 PM
JK Newbie

I am with you amigo, my JK is awful on power, awful on gas. Get used to people out there giving you negative responses. I have had 4 different Jeeps and this one is BY FAR the worst when it comes to performance. I regeared to 4.88s, Dyno Flow exhaust, KN intake, rechipped computer, run premium gas and it still sucks. Took a trip to Colorado last week and could barely make it up the Rockies and on the way back struggled to maintain 65mph in headwind not to mention 10mpgs. The Japanese definately could teach out auto manufacturers much in the area of performance. Thank god it looks good otherwise I would be one depressed Jeep owner.....all show and no go!
Old 07-02-2008, 09:00 PM
Ike
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by sukemecuke
completely agree with you, but you don't normally associate mini-vans and 1/4 miles times either do ya????
what are we talking about here? I wasn't aware that a JEEP was ever associated with 1/4 mile times, either?!

The mill is what it is - I look at this way: we were probably close to not having any kind of new Jeep product at all. I'm just glad the factory found a way to keep pumping them out ... with a host of other improvements, I might add. The motor is the least of my concern.

color me thankful
Old 07-02-2008, 09:05 PM
Ike
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by upnovr
...s to performance. I regeared to 4.88s, Dyno Flow exhaust, KN intake, rechipped computer, run premium gas and it still sucks. Took a trip to Colorado last wee...

For me, I'm content with the 3.8 and what it provides. Having said that, I wouldn't really touch these things with a bunch of parts ... if performance is a concern, take the money you were going to spend polishing that 3.8L and put towards a Hemi conversion. The AEV guys have this nailed - take advantage of their handiwork ... it's only money
Old 07-03-2008, 01:20 AM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Ike
what are we talking about here? I wasn't aware that a JEEP was ever associated with 1/4 mile times, either?!

The mill is what it is - I look at this way: we were probably close to not having any kind of new Jeep product at all. I'm just glad the factory found a way to keep pumping them out ... with a host of other improvements, I might add. The motor is the least of my concern.

color me thankful
What are you tryin to say??? Jeeps can't race??? The hell you say.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=IXyec7Pm9kQ

That Jeep is spankin some ASS.
Old 07-03-2008, 08:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

What would you do if you had a 600 hp jeep or any car at that matter. Last I checked there is no auto-ban in North-America. Unless you just like going to jail and doing 50 hrs of commuity service painting fire hydrants..
Old 07-03-2008, 08:12 AM
JK Junkie

Default Jeep power problem solved.

I went from a 2002 Kia hatchback, I notice zero problems with power in my JK. Seriously, when I got mine I knew it wasnt a speed demon. I had my choice of pretty much any vehicle in the $30-$40 price range. The only thing I regret was not getting a Rubi. Other than that this is by FAR the best vehicle I have ever owned. Pure Fun

Our other car is an 07 Si. That is what we use when we need power. The winch and bumper dont fit so well on it though

And for the guy that traded his 08 Rubi because of threads like these.....why are you still here? Envy?
Old 07-05-2008, 10:10 PM
axop

Interesting, I am now in Switzerland for a vacation and what do I see ?
JK Diesel Rubicon and Sahara all over, they call the car a CDR.
How comes that the efficient diesel is widely available in other Countries but not in ours ? That is slightly aggravating. Not sure but but sounds like it is a Turbo Diesel.
They all are 2008 Models.
Old 07-06-2008, 03:04 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by axop
How comes that the efficient diesel is widely available in other Countries but not in ours ? That is slightly aggravating. Not sure but but sounds like it is a Turbo Diesel.
Actually its a CRD (common rail diesel). They offered a similar engine in the Liberty for a couple years, then pulled it. It has mostly to do with air quality standards which are tough to meet. The new diesel engines coming out now meet the clean diesel standards, so there is hope. There is a new 3.0 diesel available now in the Grand Cherokee.
Old 07-14-2008, 10:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by axop
It is only in Belgium where you can buy the CRD Rubicon but never mind that. The point of your post is a valid one. I have driven a Sahara CRD here and compared to my 3.8 in the US, the CRD engine is by far more lively. In fact getting back to London Heathrow driving home, my E class 320 CDi felt like a racing machine compared to "High Ho Silver" as my wife calls my more than sluggish JK. Yes, I am VERY disappointed with my JK's power. I have a TJ that is much, much better on performance and fuel consumption is not even worse.

Quick Reply: Sluggish and Underpowered JK