Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Sluggish and Underpowered JK

Old 07-01-2008, 09:56 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you want a racer, buy a SRT8...or a 'Vette.

I've never had a huge need for speed, what with most highways on the coast being limited to 80-90 km/h anyways, and the JK (6Spd, 4.10s) goes up and down the coastal mountains very well, including loaded conditions.

That said, I would never refuse an efficiency increase (gas is near $1.50 per litre here today!!!).

My two cents.
Old 07-02-2008, 02:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

lol i LOVE jeeps but threads like this is why my 08 rubi just got traded. i think it is piss poor dodge had to put a junk motor with all the electronic bs in the jk. jeep is just not a jeep no more
Old 07-02-2008, 03:22 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by flip2spin23
lol i LOVE jeeps but threads like this is why my 08 rubi just got traded. i think it is piss poor dodge had to put a junk motor with all the electronic bs in the jk. jeep is just not a jeep no more
I dunno, I came out of a daily driven TJ (120K miles, all over the country), and now I'm in the JK. The TJ did feel like it had a little more low end torque, but as soon as both engines get some revs (2000K+) the 3.8L wakes up and does better. My JK did much better than my TJ did at high elevation (going in and over the Rockies), which really tells me that the engine has some life.

When the JK debuted I remember seeing some 1/4 mile comparisons between the TJ and the JK, they were very close to each other. As for the "electronic BS", blame the government.
Old 07-02-2008, 03:34 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by flip2spin23
Not sure what you mean by that. Dodge wouldn't have much say in the dealings of Jeep, would they? I can see how Chrysler would, but not Dodge.

Aren't most cars, trucks, Jeep, etc. going to the "electronics" way of thinking nowadays? I think it's something we're just gonna have to live with.
Old 07-02-2008, 03:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

I just turned over 3,000 miles on my 08 Sahara automatic and it's been constantly improving. This is the only vehicle I've ever had where the performance increased dramatically over time. It's still no speed demon, but there's a very noticeable change from when I drove it off the lot. The computer must be adjusting for the way I drive and maybe allowing for break in.
Old 07-02-2008, 07:59 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't mind the power on the JK as I find it just right for this Brick on wheels. and the JK has slowed me down thus....creating fewer Speeding Tickets for me in the summer months.

I even sneak the wifes JK more than my 06 Dodge Magnum R/T AWD and my 04Dodge Ram Cummins Turbo Diesel - Juiced up to +600HP. I find the power band just right for the JK.....YES...it would be nice for more power and I know I would never win any 1/4 mile races.....but I enjoy driving slow & top off
Old 07-02-2008, 10:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

what do you expect out of a motor used in a mini van???
Old 07-02-2008, 10:53 AM
Ike
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by sukemecuke
what do you expect out of a motor used in a mini van???
Mile after mile of trouble free, low maintenance service
Old 07-02-2008, 11:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ike
Mile after mile of trouble free, low maintenance service
Ain't that the truth.

Or at least what I'm hopin' for!
Old 07-02-2008, 12:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks to the 4.10s my 08 rubi seems pretty peppy up to about 45 but after
that it is weak. I also looked at the nissan before I bought the jeep
and although it is a nice rig, just try getting the top off!

Quick Reply: Sluggish and Underpowered JK