Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Sluggish and Underpowered JK

Old 06-28-2008, 07:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

More than enough power for me. An off-road vehicle doesn't really need to go faster than 45mph and my Rubicon can travel at or above the interstate speed limit. I think that is a real bonus.

I've never had too little power to go up a hill at the speed I want to go.

Why are all y'all in such a rush anyways? The sooner you get there, the sooner you have to get out of your Jeep.

I just don't understand how someone could test drive a vehicle, spend $30k on it, and then complain that it isn't what they wanted in the first place.
Old 06-28-2008, 08:47 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Comparing the 4.0 VQ series nissan engine to any American pushrod motor is not fair. I hate pushrod motors and there is no excuse in this day and age to manufactur one. Not even the old "trucks need low end torque" argument can be used anymore. Variable valve duration and timing produce awesome torque curves in overhead cam 4 valve motors. Look at the V8's in the Nissan Titan and the Toyota Tundra.

Cam in the valley / pushrod 2 valve motors are 1950s technology. That technology was obsolete and outdated in 1980s. Cube for cube an overhead cam 4 valve design is superior in almost every way. The only concession I will give the pushrod motor is a more compact package which in anything but the smallest cars is irrelevant. Even the most vaulted, high tech, hand made production pushrod motor, the GM LS7 in the Z06 corvette only manages a PATHETIC 72 horsepower per liter. To put that into perspective, most everyday japanese vehicles (civics, accords, camrys) put out over 80 horsepower per liter. Our 3.8 liters put out a whopping 53 horsepower per liter. My honda S2000 put out 120 horsepower per liter.

With that all being said, the level of power in the JK is adequate for it's designed purpose in my opinion. It does fine in traffic and offroad. Although I think in general the American car companies really are missing the bus when it comes to R&D.
Old 06-28-2008, 11:05 AM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

You take the Jeep and let someone else take the pathfinder on a trail. You'll never bitch about the Jeep bein slow again, and you'll see what JUNK that Pathfinder really is.
Old 06-28-2008, 05:11 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default does ok for me

I broke my JK in driving it very BRISKLY. At 6000 miles it really woke up. The intersection start to speed limit sign down the road test shows that my JK hits the identical speed as my 2wd Silverado. Not a rocket but I'll pass anyone I please and won't shift constantly up and down hills. I'm very happy with it, but of course I'm a V/6 kind of guy.........
Old 06-30-2008, 06:34 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I find my JK very good,, I've had several jeeps, including a I6 03 TJ w/4.10's and my 07 JK w/4.10's was faster, not off the line but from about 20 mph up,, and the TJ could barely get over 80 my JK hit 100mph without issue.. I have an auto.. now I have an 08 w/3.73's and I must say I noticed a difference,, its a little slower but not too bad.. I pull hills without issue and had a 16 ft trailer on it the other day with about 1500# of cargo going up a 10% grade for 2 miles,, this worked it hard,, but it still pulled to 45mph and didn't overheat in 98+ temps at the time.. If your auto is searching for od on the highway with out a load on it and you haven't re-geared or put bigger tires on it get it to the dealer as they do have tsb's on this.. Get it fixed.. also less foot pressure you will go faster.. fly by wire systems don't like to be floored,, they put you into a set ramp up speed.. not fully floored it will still "listen" to you.. and this system learns your driving style and try's to comply.. takes a couple thousand miles to fully learn..
Old 07-01-2008, 08:15 AM
Ike
JK Newbie

What Doc_D said is true. Those heads can only flow so much at one time and the cam options are pretty limited. one thing thing to consider, too, is that the nissan's shift points and stall are much different than your JK. A crisp shifting auto can make a big difference.
Old 07-01-2008, 08:25 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by Doc_D
Comparing the 4.0 VQ series nissan engine to any American pushrod motor is not fair. I hate pushrod motors and there is no excuse in this day and age to manufactur one. Not even the old "trucks need low end torque" argument can be used anymore. Variable valve duration and timing produce awesome torque curves in overhead cam 4 valve motors. Look at the V8's in the Nissan Titan and the Toyota Tundra.

Cam in the valley / pushrod 2 valve motors are 1950s technology. That technology was obsolete and outdated in 1980s. Cube for cube an overhead cam 4 valve design is superior in almost every way. The only concession I will give the pushrod motor is a more compact package which in anything but the smallest cars is irrelevant. Even the most vaulted, high tech, hand made production pushrod motor, the GM LS7 in the Z06 corvette only manages a PATHETIC 72 horsepower per liter. To put that into perspective, most everyday japanese vehicles (civics, accords, camrys) put out over 80 horsepower per liter. Our 3.8 liters put out a whopping 53 horsepower per liter. My honda S2000 put out 120 horsepower per liter.

With that all being said, the level of power in the JK is adequate for it's designed purpose in my opinion. It does fine in traffic and offroad. Although I think in general the American car companies really are missing the bus when it comes to R&D.
As far as I'm concerned, still using PISTONS is obsolete. That's ONE HUNDRED PLUS year old tech. No excuse at all for not updating all that.
Old 07-01-2008, 10:40 AM
JK Jedi

I wonder if the JK's ability to climb a 60% grade had any factor in the choice of the 3.8L engine. I've often wondered why they didn't use the 3.7L from the Liberty, which seems much stronger despite being rated only slightly higher in HP.
Old 07-01-2008, 10:44 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by pearl-drum-man
I wonder if the JK's ability to climb a 60% grade had any factor in the choice of the 3.8L engine. I've often wondered why they didn't use the 3.7L from the Liberty, which seems much stronger despite being rated only slightly higher in HP.
Good question. I have just figured that it was the engine's already good reputation in the minivans. they have been giving nearly flawless service there.
Old 07-01-2008, 12:57 PM
JK Junkie

It was mentioned a little bit, but I'm guessing the Pathfinder has a gear ratio in the 2's, while depending on the set up you're at 3.21, 3.73 or 4.10 in thh Jeep. This will make a big difference in acceleration and mpg's.

Quick Reply: Sluggish and Underpowered JK