Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Sluggish and Underpowered JK

Old 06-28-2008, 04:17 AM
axop

Default Sluggish and Underpowered JK

Have my JK now for a few weeks and love it, always had at least one Jeep in my stable since the 80's like the feature that it is flat towable behind a RV.
Here is my question:
We also have a 2007 Nissan Pathfinder with a 4.0 V-6 4WD and let me tell you, this thing takes off. If you ever have a chance go and test drive one.
How comes that a vehicle the same weight, size, V-6 with (400 cc difference) feels like having double the horsepower. The JK feels like the slowest and most "sluggish" car I have ever seen. I even installed a Banks Monster exhaust and a Cool Air intake, better... but by far not even close. Even my wive which really does not care about cars expressed how lame the Jeep is. What is is wrong with Jeep ?
Oh yes... and the Nissan gets 2.5 miles MORE per gallon. Jeep does not have to re-invent the wheel but should stay at least with other manufacturers which are able to produce same size engines with much more horse power, more pep, more miles per gallon, more reliable and cheaper.
Jeep maybe needs to buy a Nissan and spy a bit on their technique. The US automobile industry should realize by now that they can not afford being a sleep when they all are fighting chapter 11. The students became the teachers.
Constructive criticism from a long time Jeep lover, WAKE UP JEEP IT IS HIGH NOON.

Last edited by axop; 06-28-2008 at 04:34 AM.
Old 06-28-2008, 04:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Even though you say they are the same weight, size, etc.. they are two totally different vehicles. Besides, did you buy your Jeep for speed or love?
Old 06-28-2008, 04:41 AM
JK Jedi

First off, I can tell you the JK is definitely not a speed demon, it's a more purpose designed vehicle which must be considered. I think you will also find that after a few thousand miles it will get better (a LOT of JK members have noticed this). After driving my fiances Liberty or my Mom's Mazda6 the JK feels really slow, but after a little while I re-adjust.

I think everyone would love another 20-40HP, but it is what it is. I'm guessing eventually there will be another engine option which will satisfy people (like a diesel or one of the new more powerful V6s coming soon).
Old 06-28-2008, 04:41 AM
axop

For love..... thats why I have at least one Jeep since over 20 years ....
But it sucks when the old lady with a "walker" passes me and it does not make sense of blowing 1 gallon every 14 miles for no power and being full throttle above 8000 ft to achieve 40 mph
Yes, it is love for the Jeep, thats my 20 years of loyalty ... but thats not an excuse of staying stuck 25 years back. The motto is "more for less" and NOT "less for more".

Last edited by axop; 06-28-2008 at 04:59 AM.
Old 06-28-2008, 04:42 AM
JK Super Freak

C'mon, man, think of the kittens.

I have yet to take delivery of mine and have only test driven a couple JKs. I will say that the power didn't feel too bad with the two that I drove, but they both (obviously) had stock tires on them and I was (obviously) stoked to be testing a new JK that I'm probably gonna own soon.

That being said, I can imagine how the power would go quickly after putting on larger tires.

As has been said, though, we don't buy these Jeeps for Speed. If you want a fast Jeep, then it'd better have SRT8 on the rear end.
Old 06-28-2008, 04:46 AM
axop

Pearl-Drum-Man, your words are the light on the horizon
I am now on 900 miles and I look forward to see how the performance will change in the near future.
Old 06-28-2008, 04:47 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by axop
But it sucks when the old lady with a "walker" passes you and it does not make sense of blowing 1 gallon every 14 miles for no power and being full throttle above 8000 ft to achieve 40 mph

What gears/tire size do you have? I've had my JK over the Rockies and it did better than my TJ did at high elevation. Not great, but adequate. I certainly didn't have the throttle pegged or anything like that.
Old 06-28-2008, 04:47 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by axop
Pearl-Drum-Man, your words are the light on the horizon
I am now on 900 miles and I look forward to see how the performance will change in the near future.
Don't expect miracles, but you should see noticeable improvement
Old 06-28-2008, 04:54 AM
axop

Now we are talking: Jeep Wrangler Unlimited SRT-8 where do I have to sign ?

Pearl-Drum-Man: I still have the original wheels and gears, did not touch them yet during brake in.

Seriously, underpowered cars consume more fuel on average then overpowered cars IF driven conservative. Less restriction and friction results in more power and more miles per gallon. I do not expect a horsepower monster and we drive these Jeep more for the philosophy .. I understand.
But again .... if others can get much more horsepower for less money, with less fuel consumption then I think Jeep should learn from them and make something good better.... the consumers and the environment will appreciate ... more power, more fun, less fuel, thats a none brainer. I do not trash Jeep here, I am an old and loyal Mopar collector, maybe it is just my Jeep, but it is really, really sluggish, feels like I am dragging a cow behind ... and yes, I checked the park brake.
Do me a favor guys, today when you pass Nissan take the Pathfinder for a test drive compare the power to the JK and imagine this engine in a JK and then come back and let me know if I am crazy or if I have a point.

Last edited by axop; 06-28-2008 at 05:10 AM.
Old 06-28-2008, 06:59 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with the lack of power, don't get me wrong I love my jeep and will drive nothing else, BUT the power sucks. I don't see why they didn't stuff in the 4.7 from the full size trucks, My 05 fully loaded 4 door ram with the 4.7 and the 20" wheels which weighs at least if not more than the JK was not a speed demon but it would stomp all over my JK and the mpg was the about same, it would even hold overdrive @ 70 mph on the highway no problem while towing my 19' boat , my JK can't hold overdrive with just me in it. If they offered a v8 JK either the 4.7 or a hemi I would be the first in line.

Quick Reply: Sluggish and Underpowered JK