Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Sleep/ mattress questions

Old 02-23-2011, 07:15 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sleep/ mattress questions

Soooooo... Here's a question for ya. Does anyone make any sort of sleeping arrangements for the 2-door JK? I'm taking the back seat out of my 2010 and plan on camping on the beach for a night on my upcoming road trip.

I'm thinking like an inflatable mattress or something similar. Anyone have any suggestions? Anyone done this already? Only needs to sleep two.
Old 02-23-2011, 07:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

a full size inflatable mattress should work just fine i tried it in my JKU and it worked out i just placed it inside the jeep deflated and just inflated it slowly to make it like a perfect fit
Old 02-23-2011, 07:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

if you have a roof rack, there is a company that makes tents on top of it. if you look at the trails and tales section, look at some of the camping threads. it should have some of what you are looking for
Old 02-23-2011, 07:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jeep apparently make a tent kit.
http://www.jeep.com/en/2009/wrangler...acks_carriers/
I don't know where you sleep in that. If it's on the ground in the tent, then I don't really see the point. Just get a cheap tent!

I really wouldn't want to sleep in a 2-door JK but my dog doesn't have a problem with it...

How about a hammock. Some actually have a flap that protects against rain and bugs. You could hang it between two Jeeps or so. Just make sure you get out really fast when you hear a Jeep start
Old 02-23-2011, 07:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

X2 on the hammock.

Look up Hennessey Hammocks. Or there is Jungle Hammocks for more money.

Tie one end to upper end of spare, and other to a tree. They are one of the best sleeping setups ever if you are a camp and park minimalist. 5 minutes and you have base camp. I've had mine for about five years, and has had many adventures good and bad. You won't regret it.
Old 02-23-2011, 08:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my old man is like 6'2 and he would take his rear seat out of his JK and sleep / diagonal.
Old 02-24-2011, 03:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Pluke the 2
my old man is like 6'2 and he would take his rear seat out of his JK and sleep / diagonal.
Haha! I'm not that tall.

I'm not that worried about heat so the tailgate can be open. I wonder if there is an extension or something that can mount there. That would be perfect for some extra leg room. Might be time for some custom fab...
Old 02-24-2011, 09:35 AM
JK Super Freak

I slept in my 4-dr. many times. I don't like air mattresses, because they lose air as the temp cools down, so I used two egg crate mattresses doubled over, with thermarest matresses in between. It was very comfortable. I used to sleep in my YJ years ago (acutally slept 2). I made a hinged platform that would flip forward to extend the flat area. But that Jeep didn't have a center console, and the YJ seats went a lot farther forward the the JK seats. I'm not sure if 2 could sleep comfortably in a 2-dr. JK. Seems too short. One person diagonal would definitely work well.
Old 02-24-2011, 11:29 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Pluke the 2
Good to know a tall person can fit back there diagonally.
Old 02-24-2011, 11:34 AM
JK Freak

Prolly overpriced...
http://www.mopar.com/accessories/camper_trailers

Last edited by BLK08JK; 02-24-2011 at 01:26 PM. Reason: gave mopar link

Quick Reply: Sleep/ mattress questions