Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Shrockworks woes

Old 12-11-2010, 01:29 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by baroen
... I did a lot of research before ordering ...
Judging by your post count, I would guess not on this forum. I always try to caution people who mention an interest in Shrockworks' products about the advanced credit card charge, the questionable delivery forecasts and the ultimate long wait. I add to check with Screamin' Lizard, or to consider another brand if they're the type who will complain a few months later when it all comes true.

Let me add a few other things: A couple people have had problems with their Shrockworks gear--I remember one complaint about corrosion through the finish, and another had difficulty with the fitment. I'll let you research those threads.

Those are, however, a very minor exception. Most of us who own Shrockworks products are delighted with them. Compared to typical Chinese imports, Shrockworks fits perfectly (with that one exception, and Shrockworks was apparently working with a new supplier that was the source of difficulty). The quality is absolutely top-notch. Not just welds, and finish (again, with that one exception I noted), but in design. For those who may not know, the rear bumper was designed right here on this forum. Shrockworks posted up their concepts and people commented and added wishes and the design evolved. And, let me talk about their designs and compare them point-by-point to some of the other top bumpers out there:

1. The winch hoop on the Shrockworks is a lot larger than on the LOD. On the LOD it looks wimpy. LOD has said they offer a larger winch hoop if requested, but it's still not as large as on the Shrockworks.

2. The rear bumper on the Shrockworks uses the stock hitch. It does not require drilling extra holes. The LOD does because it has an unrated hitch built in that requires reinforcement to the frame. Because Shrockworks keeps the stock rear hitch, those additional holes are not required. And, you have a rated hitch that provides protection to the bumper when testing the departure angle on your rig.

3. The Shrockworks rear jerry can holders lock the cans in place (with a small padlock you provide). The LOD has no provisions--most folks are using a chain and lock they provided.

4. On front and rear, the shackle tabs are machined from a single piece of billet that is placed into the bumper from the backside, then welded on the front and rear of the hole. On other bumpers, the tab is not enlarged on the rear, so it can be inserted from either side. What does that mean? That it's the welds on those bumpers taking the force of a pull, not the machined billet facing on the backside of the bumper.

5. Back to those tabs and the LOD bumpers: On the LOD bumpers they are appear oddly narrow. On the Shrockworks they are fully the width of the gap in a 3/4" shackle.

6. The Shrockworks front bumper was made to fit perfectly a Warn PowerPlant. There are notches in appropriate places to allow access to the additional controls on this winch/air compressor.

7. Again on the front bumper, it comes with both a skidplate. and provisions to accommodate a winch (no separate expense for a winchplate).

8. The Shrockworks is available in several finishes, including black textured, black semigloss and anthracite. Most other bumpers are available in only one finish, and that's usually black textured (which, I have read, is more susceptible to corrosion). LOD has said that they would offer black semigloss if a customer requested it. Most companies are not so accommodating.

9. The Shrockworks rear bumper (and LOD, too, BTW) has back-up lights. Most bumpers do not. But, be forewarned that changing a back-up bulb requires pulling the bumper (if you use the lights that Shrockworks suggests, anyway).

So, to summarize: If you like top-notch products and are willing to pay in advance, then to wait and not bother asking when delivery will take place (because it's pointless since their estimates are notoriously inaccurate), then order a Shrockworks. If you're not that type of person, check with Screamin' Lizard and see what they can offer you. Or consider other brands. But, if you do wait it out, you'll probably be delighted with their products. I certainly am (and I have a total of 16 months of wait time for rails and both bumpers and racks) ...

Last edited by Mark Doiron; 12-11-2010 at 01:35 AM.
Old 12-11-2010, 02:57 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just look at Marks bumpers. They make some of the best looking bumpers out there. But I would never order anything from them because I'm not going to wait almost a year for something I have ordered and paid for. What happens if they go out of business or something happens to the company, and they have your full payment. Can you dispute a credit card charge thats 6 months old? I wonder how much more business they could pick up and how much more money they could make If they could just figure out how to build these more efficently. They have been doing this long enough they ought to have it figured out by now.
Old 12-11-2010, 06:36 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by KCTW
... Can you dispute a credit card charge thats 6 months old? ...
This is a valid concern. I won't deny that it crossed my mine to research the rules, and I believe that you have only 90 days to dispute the charge. There are other rules/laws/regulations that apply. I don't want to get into it, partially because I may not be fully informed on the facts. But, I did worry a little when my rear bumper took ten months (last item I ordered).
Old 12-12-2010, 06:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Well...just so you all know...

I called them about a week ago talking to them about ordering a complete rear bumper set-up/can holders/tray, etc. and asked them how long and he said 8-12 weeks...now, I've been down this road with them before and also WHY i DON'T have their stuff (I just did this for you all to see what they're actually telling customers now)!!! I then presented to this gentleman on the phone the facts of these forums and just WHY IS IT that they keep telling people 8-12 weeks and tell them the truth ...tell them 1/2 to 3/4 of a year...and he told me, "I'VE NEVER KNOWN A BUMPER TO LEAVE HERE MORE THAN THREE to FOUR MONTHS AFTER AN ORDER!" I then asked him if he'd like references to sites on the net where people have exceeded 1/2 year.........WAITING!!! He then said..."THAT JUST DOESN'T HAPPEN!!!" ...so for those of you who continue to wish to order from them, there ya have it...read this and read posts from this site and others and if you wish to throw a grand or two out the door up front to wait forever for a bumper...of course, more than three months, then you just do it...they have a nice product but that does not preclude the fact that wait times to get the damn things are RIDICULOUS!!!
Old 12-12-2010, 07:40 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

I've mentioned my rear bumper and all accessories took ten months. But, that's because my order was lost and I didn't call them until about month eight to inquire. ATT orders for rear bumpers were taking about four months. I just wasn't paying attention and saw that after the fact. I think four to six months is more realistic based on what I've seen on this forum.
Old 12-12-2010, 08:18 AM
JK Freak

Default I really like their product too.

I wonder how much business they have lost do to the delays? I know they lost my business.
Old 12-12-2010, 06:51 PM
JK Newbie

I don't give a damn how good their stuff is. I live in Houston & have been inside the shop. It is tiny, unkempt, & just doesn't look like a production shop. They have no material and no product. I have ARBs front & rear and had them days within ordering them. They were cheaper and built better than the Shrockworks. I wanted to give my business to a local co., but just couldn't see it.
Old 12-12-2010, 07:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Just to add to this discussion, I have a Shrock front stubby and LOD rear stubby. Two totally different worlds. Quality and fitment are exponentially different. I am by no means bashing LOD, but they can't hold a candle to my Shrock front. I admittedly lucked out on my 3 day delivery from Shrockworks, but damn, I love that thing. Hit a slide and rammed a tree with nothing but scratches on the bar. I even had a guy that works for me ask why I BOUGHT a front bumper and MADE my rear bumper.

With that said, I still wouldn't order a rear bumper from Shrockworks due to wait times. I am leaning towards an AEV tire carrier mounted to my modified LOD bumper. Going to copy Shrockworks shackle mounts and everything. Sucks to do this, but will hopefully end up with a badass bumper.
Old 12-13-2010, 12:49 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The shrockworks stuff does look nice...but then again, I was able to get stuff of equivalent quality custom fabbed for less money. Also, no reputable fab shop would take your money and hold it for 6 months, all the while telling you that it'll be ready in a week or two.

I was able to get my money refunded by Shrockworks after waiting for 3 months for a bumper that I was told (by a real live person) would be ready in 6 weeks. The thing is that I honestly wonder about the level of management proficiency in a company that has had this problem for at least two full years and has done nothing about it. In 2008 when I needed a front bumper, they were jerking customers around and lying about wait times. Now, in 2010, they're still jerking customers around and lying about wait times.

If this was a problem that they resolved inside 6 or 12 months, I could understand that it might have been "growing pains" of a startup operation. But if you can't get your poop in a group after TWO YEARS of taking money up front - and you still continue to tell people 6 weeks and deliver in 6 months (if they're lucky)...that's just plain bad business. If they still need to take a customer's money up front, it makes me wonder what they've done with two (or more) years worth of revenue. Do they really need to take money for things that they won't actually produce for six months in order to meet payroll and pay suppliers?
Old 12-13-2010, 06:23 AM
JK Freak

I wonder if this is a side business for the owner?

Quick Reply: Shrockworks woes