Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Should I REALLY buy a JK?

Old 10-22-2009, 07:33 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

haven't had any problems with my jeep......maybe I shouldn't have said that.
Old 10-22-2009, 08:40 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If ya have to ask....then it's not in ya!!!! Dn't get one!!!
Old 10-22-2009, 03:44 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by whpony96
Get the Superchips Flashpaq an you wont ever complain about HP problems again..
Lets not get crazy now. I like my Flashpaq, but it doesn't even have close to the power than my '04 4.7l WJ did. Nothing short of forced induction will make my 3.8l move like that WJ did. It was very quick.

And I have stock sized tires, 4.10 gears, and a 6 speed. And of course a Flashpaq and CAI...
Old 10-22-2009, 03:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

SCOTTIED, I still own a 95 GC, wife loves it and will not give it up. I had a 2001 GC. One thing after another with that one. After the $400 for the window controller got rid of the 01. In 05-06 I started reading about the JK and what its cabailities were. The moment the 07 came out I purchased a two door X. Had constant soft top leak problems with a $ 30 k vehicle. After 15 trips to the dealer and 12 months old, I traded it to the same dealer for an 08 Sahara JK 4dr. Made a couple of small minor mods like drilling a hole in the side veiw mirrors, lol, won't list them all but over all, this is a decent vehicle. I still feel the 95 GC can handle better because when I drive it, I drive it hard. With the 08, I dont seem to drive that rig as hard. It has a much smoother ride. Anyone that rides in it that does not own one absolutely love it. My theory is the 07 was made to iron out the kinks. And Shsyler is improving. You might want to buy the 2010 as already posted here earlier.
That means they have had 07, 08, and 09 to get the kinks out. Kinda like new versions of windows. In 3 years when this is paid off, I most definately will be buying another. I highly reccomend buying one. Depends on your daily commute driving distance. As I am experiancing 18-19 mpg. I have maintenance performed every 3000 miles. Which is overkill by many standards. Its all in what you want. Myself, I am an occasional off roader. And not as avid as most that post here. But this is a great forum to learn on the fly. These guys on here will keep you straight and will help you with figuring out where that buzzing noise is coming from.
Go to the thread titled Jeep Commercials. The roller coaster one did it for me.
Buy the Jeep, you only live once !
Old 10-22-2009, 04:36 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I freakin LOVE my JK period. I also travel and get to test a lot of cars out there through rentals, company cars, etc.

At the end of the day it all works out to be what you are looking for in a car.

I can't speak for anyone else, but the reason I got a JK was because I really wanted a wrangler again, but also have a family. It was the best of both worlds.

It is NOT...
- the most spacious SUV
- most powerful SUV
- most quiet convertible
- most fuel efficient car
- softest ride
- most modern design
- packed with luxury features

If you are looking for one of the traits above, get something else.

When it comes to the JK it's a Wrangler first and foremost. It's still fundamentally the same car as all its predecessors. They've softened things up, but it's a vehicle that wants to have its top down and preferably be off road.

The JK is an SUV, convertible, family car, go cart, beach crawler, rock crawler, mud bogger, trail rig, and overall animal of a vehicle with historic roots to the military, and a family of hundreds of thousands waiting to give you the jeep wave.

As for why you hear people with a lot of issues, I think it's because people expect it to be all of those things usually all at the same time. It's a lot to ask of anything.

The Jeep Wrangler can't be everything, but it can do most anything.
Old 10-23-2009, 10:22 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ScottieD
I have an '01 Grand Cherokee. I have always loved Jeeps. I was seriously considering purchasing a 4dr JK, but honestly, after reading so many threads here, and on other JK sites, about problems with them, I am really hesitant.

Rusting hinges, bubbling paint, leaking and whistling tops, leaking axles and diffs, blown engines.... it seems to go on and on.

I KNOW that no vehicle is perfect. And people WITH problems tend to post more than people with NO issues. I would just expect a little more from a $30K+ vehicle in 2009.

My GC has served me well. I don't offroad. I am more a fan of it's 4WD capability in bad weather, and the looks and open-road feel that the JK has. It will be my only vehicle and my daily commute vehicle. So I can't really afford to have it out of commission with major mechanical issues, regardless if they are covered by warranty or not.

Help me understand why a JK is still a good vehicle to purchase. I have really fallen in love with the looks of it. I have test-driven one and really like the feel of it. Unfortunately I need to be practical as well.

Is the JK really as bad as I see represented on forums?

Thanks!

--
Scot

If all you want is bad weather traction then you are probably better off with a vehicle with Full Time 4WD like Jeeps Selec Trac not available on JKs.

JKs and its predecessors have all had a love/hate relationship with drivers. You either love the Jeep enough to overlook its quirks or you hate everything about it.
For instance I constantly make fun of the weak 3.8L engine in my JK, but I still prefer to drive over anything else.

The GC is one Jeeps first attempt to create a more civilized Jeep for the masses and the JK was designed to take a step in that direction without giving up its offroad heritage.

If it is just looks attracting you to the JK, drive one for a weekend (rent, borrow, joyride) and you decide if its right for you. In terms of reliability I think it is on the par with your GC.
Old 10-23-2009, 12:23 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by spinlock
If all you want is bad weather traction then you are probably better off with a vehicle with Full Time 4WD like Jeeps Selec Trac not available on JKs.
As much as I loved the 247 transfer case in my WJ, the JK's ESP and TC pretty much make up for the part time 4wd IMO.

I'd love to have that 4.7l/247/545 RFE combo in my Rubicon though...

Quick Reply: Should I REALLY buy a JK?