Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Should I REALLY buy a JK?

Old 09-10-2009, 07:42 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is my 2nd Jeep. Prior to this I had an '01 TJ. It was a blast - which made me buy the '07 as soon as they came on the lots.

I have now 100,000km on my Unlimited Sahara. Do I do a lot of off-roading? No. But I have gone a lot of fun places that most other vehicles couldn't. I drive it responsibly - on & off the road - but have a blast.

There are all sorts of little things that can irritate you - like the dripping of water right across the entrance to the front door that soaks you when you get in or out in the rain. Or the times you get stuck away from the vehicle when the top is down - coming back AFTER it starts raining... Or freezing your backside off driving at highway speeds with the top off... Or not having any lockable space for large items in the summer with the soft-top on...

But honestly - all those experiences are what make me smile about my JK. They are stories that are told - not as complaints - but almost as a 'badge of honor' - something you must experience in order to be involved in that "Jeep thing" mentality.

More than anything, it's convinced me that my next vehicle will not be anything different. I'm going tomorrow to trade in my baby on a 2010. Not because there's anything wrong with my current one - I've had very few if any issues that were not my own fault - but only because I want to take advantage of current dealer discounts and start over with new warranty.

It's like any relationship - if you can find enough good points that outweigh the bad, you will/should be happy and know its good for you. For me, everytime I look at it, 3 years later, I still smile as I jump behind the wheel.

You have to figure out the same for you... are you willing to overlook what some people may call 'faults' - but what others call 'beauty marks' or 'character'?

Yep... too philosophical for this time of the day
Old 09-10-2009, 06:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

I get sick of the whole "unpaited backside door hinges" statement.

Take the door hinges off of any vehicle and see if the back side is painted. I guarantee you that very few are.
Old 09-10-2009, 09:40 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks for all the great replies!

I am pretty sure I'll take the plunge. I have had to put up with a lot of my GC's shortcomings, so I am certainly not necessarily adverse to doing the same with a JK in exchange for all the things that seem to make the JK a great vehicle. I just hope they don't turn out to be major.

--
Scottie
Old 09-11-2009, 09:12 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I doubt you'll have any major problems with it.
Old 10-21-2009, 04:28 PM
JK Newbie

I will always have a wrangler now. Love them
Old 10-21-2009, 07:32 PM
JPT
JK Newbie

Bought a CJ-7 a while ago... Sold it to buy something else...Missed my old Jeep. Bought another CJ-7 that I shouldn't have fixed it and never drove it due to company vehicle...Sold it.

Well let me say the 4Dr JK was great. My (now) wife always wanted a Jeep but couldn't reach the shifter etc. At this moment in time I can't drive it out of the garage, back it in the garage, look at it funny or talk about it bad. She wouldn't give up the poor gas mileage for anything. How many vehicles do you decide whether to remove the freedom top, hard top, or bikini top?

Having the top off gives you the opportunity to full flex your middle finger to all the H2, H3 posers playing the thug rap music!!
Old 10-22-2009, 06:02 AM
JK Newbie

Hey Scottie- this is (hopefully) too late, but I went from an 01 WJ to an 08 Unlimited. The only thing I missed from the WJ was the V-8 power and the heated seats. I installed the Mopar heated seat kit and have mostly learned to live with the reduced hp- it's easier in the summer with no top and doors. My mileage went up from 15 to 19, my insurance went down $10-15 per month, and in 25k miles over 18 months, I've had zero mechanical problems. Trust me- you won't regret it.
Old 10-22-2009, 06:16 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wapiti
Hey Scottie- this is (hopefully) too late, but I went from an 01 WJ to an 08 Unlimited. The only thing I missed from the WJ was the V-8 power and the heated seats. I installed the Mopar heated seat kit and have mostly learned to live with the reduced hp- it's easier in the summer with no top and doors. My mileage went up from 15 to 19, my insurance went down $10-15 per month, and in 25k miles over 18 months, I've had zero mechanical problems. Trust me- you won't regret it.
Get the Superchips Flashpaq an you wont ever complain about HP problems again..
Old 10-22-2009, 06:23 AM
JK Junkie

Go get it!

At least here you know that some of the issues here are "normal" and you don't feel like the only person here that has some things you see that are not right! And most of the issues you see have a solution that's posted on here! JK-Forum is the single best weapon you can have in your arsenal to find simple solutions for your questions.

The first mod you should buy....Superchips Flashpaq! Hands down without a doubt!

Now go pick your flavor of a JK and we will see you on the trails!

p.s. My wife and I are looking to purchase our second JK within the next year or so..Now she has the bug!
Old 10-22-2009, 07:26 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by saltman
I agree.

I disagree with the sentiment in this thread that the problems noted on this board are the result of complainers or people that pay more attention to their vehicle.

IMO, based on the experience I have had with the two I have owned, the JK is prone to a significantly larger number of problems than any vehicle I have ever owned and this is my 7th Jeep. The build quality is poor for any vehicle and poor for Jeeps in general.

It's up to you to decide if the advantages outweigh the downsides. To me they do. Barely. However, I think it is unfair to go into the ownership of a JK not expecting to have a HUGE number of issues.
X2 on this. I love my Jeep but have had more issues with my Jeep than any of my previous vehicles. That said, it's fun a blastto drive with no top and doors FWIW.

Quick Reply: Should I REALLY buy a JK?