Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Should I REALLY buy a JK?

Old 09-08-2009, 10:21 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by hammerhead
... This is my first Jeep and has got to be the funnest vehicle I have ever owned. ...
Originally Posted by sully151
Really? Mine doesn't tell jokes, or juggle or anything
Obviously, Sully, you got a defective model. Take it in for warranty service. Be sure to report back if they fix it for you, or not.
Old 09-08-2009, 11:08 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
Obviously, Sully, you got a defective model. Take it in for warranty service. Be sure to report back if they fix it for you, or not.
DAMN IT! I guess I better file for a Lemon Law.
Old 09-08-2009, 11:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ScottieD
I have an '01 Grand Cherokee. I have always loved Jeeps. I was seriously considering purchasing a 4dr JK, but honestly, after reading so many threads here, and on other JK sites, about problems with them, I am really hesitant.

Rusting hinges, bubbling paint, leaking and whistling tops, leaking axles and diffs, blown engines.... it seems to go on and on.

I KNOW that no vehicle is perfect. And people WITH problems tend to post more than people with NO issues. I would just expect a little more from a $30K+ vehicle in 2009.

My GC has served me well. I don't offroad. I am more a fan of it's 4WD capability in bad weather, and the looks and open-road feel that the JK has. It will be my only vehicle and my daily commute vehicle. So I can't really afford to have it out of commission with major mechanical issues, regardless if they are covered by warranty or not.

Help me understand why a JK is still a good vehicle to purchase. I have really fallen in love with the looks of it. I have test-driven one and really like the feel of it. Unfortunately I need to be practical as well.

Is the JK really as bad as I see represented on forums?

Thanks!

--
Scot
JK's like most vehicles are way over-priced for what they are so unless you buy used or find a super deal on a new one I wouldn't buy one. My X had a sticker of $23,500 and after rebates and the deal back in February it was a $18,000 Jeep + 0% financing. To me that's all this thing was worth and i say that as someone who hasn't had any issues.

If you have to start a thread and ask you already have too many doubts so don't do it.
Old 09-08-2009, 12:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

This should get some responses.... 18yrs with a license...
9 pick up trucks.... 11 motorcycles...5 boats.... 26 cars...
4 JEEPS

Of all those toys i can say My 07' Rubi has had less issues and more fun time than any of the others.... Go ahead and get one, think of it as vehicular herpes... you can hide it but it will still show

PeEr PreSSurE!!!
Old 09-08-2009, 12:39 PM
JK Freak

If you had to start a thread to get other peoples opinions as to whether or not you should buy a JK then you probably shouldnt buy one. If you're just looking for a rig thats good in adverse weather conditions then pick up an all wheel drive SUV of some sort.
Old 09-08-2009, 02:57 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Adam3612
If you had to start a thread to get other peoples opinions as to whether or not you should buy a JK then you probably shouldnt buy one. If you're just looking for a rig thats good in adverse weather conditions then pick up an all wheel drive SUV of some sort.
I agree.

I disagree with the sentiment in this thread that the problems noted on this board are the result of complainers or people that pay more attention to their vehicle.

IMO, based on the experience I have had with the two I have owned, the JK is prone to a significantly larger number of problems than any vehicle I have ever owned and this is my 7th Jeep. The build quality is poor for any vehicle and poor for Jeeps in general.

It's up to you to decide if the advantages outweigh the downsides. To me they do. Barely. However, I think it is unfair to go into the ownership of a JK not expecting to have a HUGE number of issues.
Old 09-08-2009, 03:30 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My JK is my third Jeep, including an '04 WJ. I loved my WJ, but my '08 JK Rubicon Unlimited is my favorite Jeep I've had so far. I do sometimes wish my JK had the '04 WJ's drivetrain. The 4.7l/545 RFE/247 would be sweet in a JK. Oh well, the 6 speed and 4.10s make the 3.8l livable.
Old 09-08-2009, 03:38 PM
JK Freak

I'd sure have alot more money if I didn't have this thing for modifications. I maxed out my Harley, and now couldn't leave the Jeep alone...
Old 09-08-2009, 03:39 PM
JK Super Freak

Don't buy one... if you need people on an internet forum to give their opinions to convince you to buy one, you WILL have buyers remorse.

I WANTED to buy one AFTER reading all the headaches that some were experiencing regardless. That's the difference.

If you decide to buy one and find an 09' with the lifetime powertrain warranty whatever you do DON'T buy a Sunburst Orange one!!

Good luck on your decision either way.
Old 09-08-2009, 04:34 PM
JK Freak

:r otflmao2::tau nt:

They all apply!

Quick Reply: Should I REALLY buy a JK?