Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Should I REALLY buy a JK?

Old 09-07-2009, 08:48 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The only people who bitch and complain are the one's with issues. The rest of us love our Jeeps and don't need to tell you about it.

Some of the complaints are from people who shouldn't own Jeeps

Look at yourself very closely and decide if you are willing to deal with a loud, slow, gas guzzler. If you are, then it will be a great treasure.
Old 09-07-2009, 08:57 PM
JK Newbie

I just bought a 2009 JK with the lifetime powertrain warranty. I love it.

No matter what car forum you visit, you will always find people complaining about their vehicle. People on the Corvette forum complain about stuff, people on the Viper forum complain about stuff, people of the Camaro forum complain about stuff.

There are always going to be people who complain about whatever they bought. I am picky, but not too much worried if my Camaro has piston slap...because they almost all have piston slap. And if my 6 speed shifter rattles a bit, well, so what?

If you buy a new Jeep JK and you have trouble, its under warranty. Also with 2009 there is lifetime power train warranty.

So make friends with someone at the dealer and if you want a new JK, buy one. You can get a vehicle that is great or you can get a lemon. I will tell you there are more good vehicles than lemons.

I have had 1 car out of 11 that had so many problems that I sold it. It was a 2000 Corvette, I replaced it with a 2002 Z06 and 8 years later, no problems. Good luck!
Old 09-08-2009, 04:12 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 362 Likes on 270 Posts

Originally Posted by ScottieD
... Rusting hinges, bubbling paint, leaking and whistling tops, leaking axles and diffs, blown engines.... it seems to go on and on....
I have none of those problems. I'd start a thread saying that my Jeep, after 38K miles, has none of those problems, but that just doesn't seem like a very interesting thread. There are plenty out here just like us with the same experience. So, to try to keep JK-Forum interesting, we don't start threads saying, "Jeep ran fine today. No problems at XXK miles. Nothing more to report."
Old 09-08-2009, 04:16 AM
JK Freak

I'm still good, nothing to report!
Old 09-08-2009, 06:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

Interesting. Back in 99, I wanted an SUV and was considering the Grand Cherokee. I did not get it as all of the info I dug up and talking to owners I did, scared me off of them. I ended up with and Explorer, which I had no problems with BTW.

Don't believe everything you read on the internet. I love my JK. Wouldn't trade it for anything. It has a few quirks, sure, but nothing beats running topless and doorless for the past week!
Old 09-08-2009, 06:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

In my view, a Wrangler might not be the best option.
The issues you are mentioning are not serious troubles (in the sense that they are mostly ... annoyances), but if they managed to catch your attention then it means you may also not put up with a rougher, noisier, and generally less comfortable ride than your GC.
If you don't offroad, there is much of the JK's capability that will be unused, and for the bad weather you will find an all-wheel drive vehicle far more adequate.

But if you have already driven it and can put up with all this, go fo it! There are always some rotten apples, but for every user that goes to the internet to complain there are countless which continue happiliy to click miles
Old 09-08-2009, 06:46 AM
JK Freak

2008 model, wheeled moderately through mud, rock and water (swamp) and no problems.
Old 09-08-2009, 06:58 AM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ScottieD
I have an '01 Grand Cherokee. I have always loved Jeeps. I was seriously considering purchasing a 4dr JK, but honestly, after reading so many threads here, and on other JK sites, about problems with them, I am really hesitant.
The 10:1 rule applies here as it does anywhere. Go to any automotive enthusiast site and I'm sure you'll see the same.
Old 09-08-2009, 06:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

Go for it man. This is my first Jeep and has got to be the funnest vehicle I have ever owned. I have had very few problems with mine.

Last edited by hammerhead; 09-08-2009 at 07:47 AM.
Old 09-08-2009, 07:36 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by hammerhead
...This is my first Jeep and has got to be the funniest vehicle I have ever owned....
Really? Mine doesn't tell jokes, or juggle or anything

Quick Reply: Should I REALLY buy a JK?