Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

should I put stock tires on for repair?

Old 09-23-2010, 04:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default should I put stock tires on for repair?

I need to take my Jeep into the Stealership for the 1st gear popping out of gear. Should I remove my 35" tires and put the stock ones back on so they don't tell me the problem is due to my upgrades?
Thanks
Old 09-23-2010, 04:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why?

If you have a lift kit installed to fit 35's .....I think the dealers going to notice.
Old 09-23-2010, 05:07 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by d2constable
If you have a lift kit installed to fit 35's .....I think the dealers going to notice.
exactly what I was thinking
Old 09-23-2010, 06:24 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by GoodysGotaCuda
They cannot assume anything...
it's not assuming man any half-wit mechanic is going to look at a car that has a lift and stock tires and know, my grandmother would be able to tell, then they will pop open records to see if it was done through the dealership and if not, poof,
Old 09-23-2010, 07:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default WWW- What What What????

Originally Posted by GoodysGotaCuda
At BMW we cannot do anything with assuming people are doing things to their cars with their warranty. Has to be physically there in the shop.
ARRRRGGGHHHHHH. This logic does not compute!!!!!
Old 09-24-2010, 06:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

The service managers at most Jeep dealers do even know JKs' have coil springs much less identify a lift, but they love to blame problems on larger tires. When I took my 07 in for ball joints thats the first thing the guy said. Since my 16 inch steelies aren't worth much I too am keeping them if I have to take it in for a trans problem or something.
Old 09-24-2010, 07:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default WOW! Logic?

If you are lettting a service dept. work on your Jeep ....and they don't know that its ever been lifted....and your going to pay them to fix something that they don't even know has been replaced? ????!!!????

This logic has caused a parodox in the space time continuim....................
Old 09-24-2010, 07:17 AM
JK Junkie

I put the stock tires back on cuz they can argue that the higher weight and size stressed the drivetrain... It is worth the time to do it
Old 09-24-2010, 08:06 AM
JK Junkie

Fact of the matter is a lift will only void your warranty on things like your drive shafts... bigger wheels leave the argument open that it caused stress to things like axle shafts, trannys, transfercase.. so just swap em out cuz like cudda said they cant assume anything.
Old 09-24-2010, 08:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

How much of a lift do you have? Even if you put the stock tires back on and you have a substantial lift they will not be "assuming" anything, it's right there before their eyes.
If it's a good dealership and the lift (if you have one) was done properly, they wont say anything. You probably won't gain anything by going in there and trying to pull the wool over their eyes.

Quick Reply: should I put stock tires on for repair?