Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Should I give LoD a chance

Old 12-17-2007, 05:55 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by swampdonkey
How long did it take to receive your LOD bumpers? I just placed my order and was curious how long it would take to arrive. 1 to 2 weeks?
I think you are looking at 2 to 3 weeks lead time unless something has changed.
Old 12-17-2007, 06:04 PM
JK Freak

don't buy the LoD bumper for the tool box. it is too small to really be useful. you can't fit a tree trunk protector in it. you can't fit a tow rope in it, unless it is one of those cheap, crappy ones from wal-mart. can't put anything metal in it because it rattles around and drives you nuts. actually, you probably shouldn't put anything in it, because everything in it gets wet and would get ruined before long.

i ordered mine in the middle of september and got it at the end of october. it rattles and bangs against the body. i ground it down quite a bit on the passenger side and after taking it off three times to grind more off, it finally isn't grinding the paint off the body of my jeep.

the holes for mounting the d-rings in were too small for 3/4" shackles. i spent about an hour and went through several bits on my dremel grinding out the holes to get them large enough to fit a standard 3/4" shackle.

all the holes that they were supposed to have pre-tapped were crap. i had to buy new, larger, self-drilling metal screws to put the handle on, because the holes for their bolts were'nt even tapped at all. they did a crappy job tapping the zerk hole. they either did it incorrectly, or just stripped it out, because the zerk won't go in.

i've sent them six e-mails with pictures showing them the problems and gotten no response. but, even if they did respond, what am i supposed to do? screw with trying to ship the old one back and wait another 8 weeks to get a new one?

everything works with it now, but it still doesn't have a zerk in the pivot for the swingaway.

i say go for it!
Old 12-17-2007, 06:05 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by eisenjj
And don't forget the basically built in front skid!!!
a built in front skid that doesn't go back far enough to even protect the sway bar disconnect on a rubicon.
Old 12-17-2007, 06:15 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I personally would carpet the inside of the tool box with that indoor/outdoor carpet. (Sort of like the Jeep trunk) That should keep things from rattling around. Anything you want to keep perfectly dry, ie like road flares, tools etc, I would keep in a big ziplock bag. (Not sure how watertight Robars is with the added seal. Like previously mentioned, it's not a huge space but I thought it was great use of the otherwise wasted space. Worst case, don't use it, but I am guessing you will find something to put in there.
Old 12-17-2007, 06:17 PM
JK Jedi Master

I didn't make it water tight. I added the weather strip to the sides and where the latch contacts the hitch receiver to dampen the vibrations.
Old 12-17-2007, 06:22 PM
JK Super Freak

I agree Rubimon, there are many easy way's to fix the rattling and water tight issue like the options you mentioned. Anyone have the dimensions of the tool box and does it open up when off roading. Hate to loose stuff along the trail but it could be the breadcrumbs needed to find your way back.... Haha

Looks like the latching mechanism is good enough that it wouldn't open up. I guess I'd use for simple things like tow strap and maybe receiver hitch if it was big enough. Like on my Kabota you can easily create PVC tubes to put stuff in first and then put a end cap on it. not 100% water proof but pretty darn close and cheap mod at Home depot...
Old 12-17-2007, 07:46 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mostly positive feedback. I had read somewhere before about rear fitment issues but am hoping they have been ironed out. The only other bumpers I have seen in person were the Fab Fours. Very nice but $$$$.
I just don't want to spend so much money that my JK becomes a huge money pit
Old 12-18-2007, 03:25 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by NE Wrangling
I agree Rubimon, there are many easy way's to fix the rattling and water tight issue like the options you mentioned. Anyone have the dimensions of the tool box and does it open up when off roading. Hate to loose stuff along the trail but it could be the breadcrumbs needed to find your way back.... Haha

Looks like the latching mechanism is good enough that it wouldn't open up. I guess I'd use for simple things like tow strap and maybe receiver hitch if it was big enough. Like on my Kabota you can easily create PVC tubes to put stuff in first and then put a end cap on it. not 100% water proof but pretty darn close and cheap mod at Home depot...
not big enough for a receiver hitch, or a tow strap.
Old 12-18-2007, 05:03 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by swampdonkey
How long did it take to receive your LOD bumpers? I just placed my order and was curious how long it would take to arrive. 1 to 2 weeks?
I just installed my front bumper this past weekend, I love it. It took 3 weeks from the day I placed my order (11/19) to the day it showed up on my doorstep (12/10).

Old 12-18-2007, 05:54 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by mrsig
if your bumper fits like this against the passenger side pinch seam, then it will be great. mine sits about 1/2" higher, causing it to rub and bang against the outward (horizontal) portion of the seam that is shown pretty well in this picture. i had to grind mine down so that it fits outside that area to keep it from rubbing and banging against the body.
the problem that i had with mine was supposed to be a problem with the early runs of this bumper, but i ordered mine this past september and received it in october.
clearly, the problem isn't with all of their bumpers, but they still have serious quality control problems, as shown with all the other problems with my bumper.
they also have no customer service when it comes to taking care of their screw-ups - something that many people that have had problems with their rear bumpers can attest to.
i will be getting rid of my LoD rear bumper and getting a shrockworks bumper sometime this spring or summer.
i have yet to hear a complaint about their front bumpers.

Quick Reply: Should I give LoD a chance