Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

shop welded LOD sliders

Old 10-25-2009, 05:38 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I wouldn't lose sleep over it. Don't get me wrong, I empathize with you, but I purposely had my ARB rock rails stitch welded to my frame. A little POR-15 where the powder coat was burned off and I'm good to go. If I ever bash the rails up enough to warrant replacement, they can be cut off and the weld points ground in preparation for new rails, no worries.
Old 10-25-2009, 05:39 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RN M OVR
Just spray a couple coats of spray paint and that will keep it from rusting. I've heard of Por 15 too, but I don't know much about that product. What a crappy situation. I'm sorry to hear such a thing happened. They really should compensate you for the time and hassle of all this.
I agree, to even give them complete instructions the sorry a** mechanic was to lazy to drill and tap cried to the owner he gave him the go ahead to weld its just beyound me
Old 10-25-2009, 05:45 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Omaha
I wouldn't lose sleep over it. Don't get me wrong, I empathize with you, but I purposely had my ARB rock rails stitch welded to my frame. A little POR-15 where the powder coat was burned off and I'm good to go. If I ever bash the rails up enough to warrant replacement, they can be cut off and the weld points ground in preparation for new rails, no worries.
Did you use bolts and welds or just welds? should i make them do it right or let it go?
Old 10-25-2009, 05:57 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Honestly, I used a bolt front and back on each side, then got tired of ruining good drill bits and using captive nuts that I had no hope of reaching if I ever wanted to remove the rails, so I threw in the towel and had the rails welded.

Were I in your shoes, I'd try to get something out of them for the misstep, but I'd not do bolts on top of the welds. That would be, at this point, redundant.

By the looks of your sig, you've got a sweet Wrangler. Don't let it get you down.
Old 10-26-2009, 02:36 PM
JK Freak

The shop fixed everything,looks new just as if it was never welded
He likes the LOD products so well i hooked him up with LOD and he wants to be a vendor!

He will be at sema, i told him he should sponser the forum, so WOL talk to LOD and see if he will hook you up with him at sema might get another sponser
Old 10-26-2009, 02:53 PM
JK Freak

I recently had a similar situation with the EVO C gussets. The shop that welded them on didn't slide them down all the way because they didn't realized the springs needed to be shifted to facilitate it. I was worried that the welds at the top of the gusset would interfere with ball joint press cups for removal. All in all, I think they still will do what was intended, but were not installed completely as intended. I didn't go back... I have since had the opportunity to slide a balljoint removal sleeve over the upper balljoint and it still fits between any weld. Now all I wonder about is how careful they were with the heating/trashing of the balljoint.

I figure balljoints will be a future issue anyway with the larger tires, so I purchased the OTC press and adapter kit from Amazon as referenced by WOL.

Quick Reply: shop welded LOD sliders