Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Shocked at Warranty

Old 05-22-2010, 02:41 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shocked at Warranty

This is a bit of a rant about the Warranty on our 2008 JK. with 40,000 kms
first off our dealer has been Great and Mod freindly since we have owned the jeep.
List of stuff that has been covered are...

soft top header bar(broke it dont ask)
idler pully
Belt
alternator
a/c Compressor
Battery
Front U-joints

Last week while at the dealership my wife got pulled into the Managers office, and in short, more or less said that they will not be covering anymore parts on the JK because they now have to send a picture of Jeep itself, liscence plate, and VIN to DC before any Warranty work can be started. If they see ANY mod done.....NOT COVERED. DC is saying that the "invoice" from dealerships to DC regarding Wrangler JK's has shot thru the roof because of people doing Mods on Wranglers.

Its says in warranty book on page 13 "Non DC Modifications themselves do not Void warranty". So what the hell is going on......

I am not Concerned about little things like what has been done already....but what if something big goes? I just find it weird that all of a sudden this is now the case.

for example there was a Jeep with a 2 inch spacer lift with Transmission issues. They Took a pic sent it to DC......WARRANTY VOID. That was the only mod.

Does Mopar not sell a couple of lifts???? That they also install at dealerships.......

Was also told they may be "Trail Rated".......But not "Trail Warrantied"

WTF is hapening
Old 05-22-2010, 05:13 PM
JK Super Freak

I guess I can say I'm not shocked.
More and more of this for the so-called "lifetime powertrain" warranty that covered most 2008 JKs.

Chrysler went bankrupt and is partially owned by the US government, with Fiat owning another big chunk.
We're lucky we have ANY warranty coverage left, but the government and Chrysler are saying everything is just fine.
I contacted Chrysler/Jeep when I started hearing about the lifetime warranty claims getting denied. They said "no effect to the terms or conditions of the lifetime warranty."
I call "bullshit," since Jeep owners are reporting just the opposite.

Last edited by mkjeep; 05-23-2010 at 05:04 PM. Reason: off-topic
Old 05-22-2010, 10:17 PM
HV
JK Enthusiast

wow I just bought a extended warranty from jeep that sucks
Old 05-22-2010, 10:33 PM
JK Newbie

In the one case that your dealer mentioned, was something in writing provided to them from Chrysler stating that their warranty had been voided? If so, did it specifically state that this was due to modifications?

The reason I ask is that if the warranty contains a clause stating that modifications will not void the warranty but Chrysler acted contrary and voided the warranty there might be grounds for a breach of contract law suit.
Old 05-23-2010, 01:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

If the dealer does the mods then you should be covered unless they stated other wise before they didi the work.

Why would any dealer or Jeep stand by there warranty when non authorized mods are done. Try and get insurance pay out if you have not advised your insurance company of the mods

Last edited by kiwi; 05-23-2010 at 01:23 AM.
Old 05-23-2010, 03:40 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You were shocked by this? From Chrysler? Really?
Old 05-23-2010, 04:44 AM
JK Freak

Default another bailout

I took my jeep in to one dealer who refused to cover a leaking axle seal since i've re-geared, and charged me $250 to tell me that, even though the axle seals are not touched during a gear install. Took too another dealer and they covered - no questions asked.

think my wheel bearing is toast and when i took to the dealer they said they were going to charge me to tell me if it would be covered under warranty or not. i asked why and they stated because i had "big tires". so i asked what is maximum height, they said well they are "too wide", so i asked what is the maximum width, they said they "did not want to argue". i said i just want a definition of "too big and too wide" and they said that would be determined when I PAY to see if it will be covered under warranty. WTF?

these dealerships are forgetting some of the profit they receive from the sale needs to be used to provide CUSTOMER SERVICE. most JEEP folks are loyal customers and they forget that JEEP is a community of owners like no other vehicle.

Chryslers "Customer Care" is worthless in resolving dealer and warranty issues, they're just like iPhone's AT&T app "mark the spot" - they record problems but DO NOTHING to HELP.

BTW - whoever wrote that Chrysler's better off getting bailed out by tax payers versus the "RIGHT way" going bankrupt knows nothing about business. You may think you still have a lifetime warranty but you go try get any warranty work done after 36K and let us know how that works for ya! i'd rather Chrysler go banckrupt and FIX their issues on their own dime versus us pay to fix and still NOT have what we've already purchased = "LIFETIME WARRANTY."
Old 05-23-2010, 05:04 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Gentlemen, before you become apoplectic, you should notice that the original poster resides in Canada, and is not protected by the Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act.
Old 05-23-2010, 07:45 AM
JK Freak

jeep would do that, sucks man! sorry
Old 05-23-2010, 08:39 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

When I bought my 2010 i didn't even ask what the warrenty was and i still don't know and dont really care. When something breaks i'll take it in to be fixed, if warrenty covers it great, if not fix it, sell it and get another one. real simple. I always laugh at these super long and extended warrenties, not worth the paper they are printed on. My dealer works with me when there are issues and i have never been disapointed.

Quick Reply: Shocked at Warranty