Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Service manual

Old 08-13-2009, 01:59 AM
Eternal ***erator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cgtweet
The guy I bought mine from said it is legit and it is exactly the same one service tech's use to work on our Jeeps. With all the Chrysler Jeep dealerships going out of business in North America, I am sure people are getting many different parts and accessories which they are then reselling. I am grateful they are available at a reasonable price...

I can copy my cd, it is the one from Chrysler(TechAuthority) so in as far as that, yeah, it's legit.

selling a copy is NOT legit, no matter if its a copy of the real deal or not. It's a violation of copyright law to do so, and any links to it are promptly removed from this site.
Old 08-13-2009, 02:01 AM
Eternal ***erator

Originally Posted by Pygeum
I'm really surprised no one has hosted on a website and offered it as a free download to JK-Forum members. (Hint Hint Hint)

You wont find it here, because it is ILLEGAL

as i just said in the post above, any and all links to such a site WILL BE PROMPTLY REMOVED from this site.

there are hundreds of illegal copies on ebay and the like, if you want to take your chances with one of those, i cant stop you, but it absolutely will not be posted here.
Old 08-13-2009, 04:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default re

Happy... I merely replied to this post that I bought a legitimate Jeep JK 2007 service manual for 14.99. How do you determine if it is legit or not? The seller says it is... then we take them at their word unless proven otherwise. If he is advetising it and provides you his real name and contact info, assures you it is the "real" deal, I have to believe it is legit. And he happens to have the manuals to a "gazillion" other vehicles. Thats not a coincidence.

We see things sold in the for sale section everyday that are priced far below retail, hec, alot of stuff is even given away. Do you question the integrity of each and everyone of those deals? If not, why not? Do you contact the local authorities of each seller's city to see if anything was stolen recently? My follow up question would be why then would you question the integrity of someone's post who legitimately bought a Jeep jk service manual from a legitimate seller (unless proven other wise)?

For some reason, this post hit a nerve with you and you need to ask yourself why?
Old 08-13-2009, 05:06 AM
Eternal ***erator

Originally Posted by cgtweet
Happy... I merely replied to this post that I bought a legitimate Jeep JK 2007 service manual for 14.99. How do you determine if it is legit or not? The seller says it is... then we take them at their word unless proven otherwise. If he is advetising it and provides you his real name and contact info, assures you it is the "real" deal, I have to believe it is legit. And he happens to have the manuals to a "gazillion" other vehicles. Thats not a coincidence.

We see things sold in the for sale section everyday that are priced far below retail, hec, alot of stuff is even given away. Do you question the integrity of each and everyone of those deals? If not, why not? Do you contact the local authorities of each seller's city to see if anything was stolen recently? My follow up question would be why then would you question the integrity of someone's post who legitimately bought a Jeep jk service manual from a legitimate seller (unless proven other wise)?

For some reason, this post hit a nerve with you and you need to ask yourself why?

I dont need to ask myself anything. It isnt any nerve with me. It's a liability issue with this site. This has been being delt with since the JK came out, there have been illegal copies flying all over the place and many threads like this have been shut down because of it. This is nothing personal with me at all, and your inference that it somehow "hit a nerve" with me is completly off base and totally wrong. I dont care one iota if you buy one or not, it means nothing to me.

As i already said, It is a liability issue with allowing possible STOLEN goods to be made available for sale. They simply wont be allowed to be advertised here, period. There is no burden on me to run around and get proof that they are stolen, feel free to do that yourself if you must. I dont have the time or energy to do so. Just because someone bought it, and made several ligitimate looking copies and is selling them, doesnt mean what you bought is legitimate. Because some guy on the internet gave you his name and his word it is legit it therefore is? seriously? Wow. Does the fact that the member you bought it from is selling it from outside the US not raise any red flags with you?

The ones on ebay have been proven to be illegitamte copies on many occasions.

As for things in the for sale sections here, your point is totally inapplicable. They are "used" parts from single sellers (makes no difference if they havent been used), not one seller selling multiple "new" parts that are copies of something else.

Last edited by HappyCurmudgeon; 08-13-2009 at 05:32 AM.
Old 08-13-2009, 05:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default re

My service manual is not a "copy." It is the real deal. I am not advertising it, nor did I provide a link. Just replied to OP about it.

Glad that is resolved.
Old 08-13-2009, 06:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by HappyCurmudgeon
there have been illegal copies flying all over the place and many threads like this have been shut down because of it..
I remember we had a sticky back in the day about the Service Manual. Is it still around? I couldn't find it with my search. If it is still around, maybe we can add the confirmed authorized resellers of the manual in their with a note that purchases from any others should be at your own risk. That should help protect the site.

Also on a side note. I did see the thread about the IE6 only manual. Perhaps the reason others are selling so cheap is because it only works in IE6. Just a though but again buyer beware.
Old 08-13-2009, 06:20 AM
Eternal ***erator

but who "confirmed and authorized" it? that's the question. Jeep hasnt sent us a letter saying it is legit.

So, unless Jeep themselves says so, I'm not buying it. this one was bought off ebay, from outside the US, "claims" to be legitimate. I can buy copies of CD's and Movies that make the same claims, and LOOK completely real.

Techauthority (who supposedly wrote these) is STILL selling them for $120, people REALLY think a 14.99 version is legit??? seriously??? Anyone with the proper equipment can copy a CD/DVD and print whatever they want on it and make it look completely real, and swear up and down it's real but for 1/10 the price? honestly???? you believe that??? all i have to say is Wow.

until Jeep contacts me and says they gave them to some guy out of the country to sell on ebay, I simply am not believing it, I'm not that gullible.
Old 08-13-2009, 06:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default re

LOL... Happy I think you are rushing to judgement on this. A lot of our Jeeps are built in Canada. So it goes to say there will be legitimate people in Canada selling Jeep (and other Automobile) parts and accessories.

Are you saying Jeep contacts you directly on all "authorized" sellers, resellers and when a dealership goes out of business, and someone buys there back stock, you are notified who purchased those items?
Old 08-13-2009, 06:58 AM
Eternal ***erator

I am not rushing into anything, I am following site policy. Why you are trying to personalize this onto me is beyond me.

I said nothing about Canada building illegitimate Jeeps, what i said was the CD was bought from outside the US, therefor copyright laws are harder to enforce. That was it.

I dont give a whit if you bought it from them, if you have yourself convinced it is legitimate, thats fine with me. I honestly dont care.

I will NOT let threads with links to these manuals be in place as that is the policy OF THIS FORUM.

i dont care who bought what from whom, or whatever other scenario you can conjur up. I am following the site policy. it says NO, the answer is NO. Period.
Old 08-13-2009, 06:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default re

I love this site! I really do.

And I would not intentionally buy stolen or copied items. I contacted the seller directly asked direct questions and checked feedback. I was assured of it's authenticity and content.

What more can a person do?

Quick Reply: Service manual