Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Service Denied for abnormal driving conditions.

Old 08-13-2008, 01:12 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Service Denied for abnormal driving conditions.

I purchased a Jeep from the dealership below. It is a stock 08 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited. At 4300 miles the freedom top began crack in the left rear corner. Actually it crack all the way through. They replaced the top with no problems. Now at 10500 miles I took the jeep back in cause the fit on the left side is rubbing the rear drivers side door, while the fit on the right side has about a 3/8" tolerance. When the body flexes the jeep makes a cracking sounds from the door rubbing the top.

Also note that I have never taken the top off.

Anyways the Dealership could not duplicate the sound and asked me to come in and duplicate the sound. So took the jeep to the dealership's rock formation that they advertise with. (Pictured below). I was told that, "That is Abnormal Driving conditions" and what was wrote on the service report was, "Abnormal driving conditions causing top to crack".

I do drive this Jeep daily at a stripmine, that I work at, and put about 50 miles offroad a day on the jeep.

Anyways, could someone tell me what, abnormal Driving conditions are for a Jeep Rubicon? Secondly, what actions should I take?
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	stephens-auto-panorama.jpg
Views:	459
Size:	18.4 KB
ID:	11763  
Old 08-13-2008, 01:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

I would question how "abnormal" something is when it is obviously within the normal parameters of the advertisement (the rock formation).

Interesting. Looks like lawyer time...and another dealership.
Old 08-13-2008, 01:27 PM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome top the forum! Sorry about your troubles with your dealership....

I would ask the dealer to explain to you in what scenario they believe it would be necessary to use your factory installed electronic swaybar disconnect. They will have no choice but to tell you that this function was added as a standard feature on JK Rubicons to provide extra traction while flexing over uneven terrain.

Then you can tell them that, considering the included features, your driving conditions are not only normal for this type of vehicle, but expected.

If they don't realize that rocky surfaces are normal driving conditions for JK Rubicons then they shouldn't be selling them, let alone repairing them, and you should find a different dealer to do business with.

In the end, I can tell you that we've seen hundreds if not thousands of JK Hard Top owners flexing their Jeeps over rocks without cracking their tops. A top cracking due to wheel articulation is not normal.

Good luck!

Last edited by doojer; 08-13-2008 at 01:29 PM.
Old 08-13-2008, 01:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Okie4WD
I would question how "abnormal" something is when it is obviously within the normal parameters of the advertisement (the rock formation).

Interesting. Looks like lawyer time...and another dealership.
"Come on down and test drive a JK on our test track...but don't try driving like this AFTER you buy because we will find a way to deny warranty claims."

Old 08-13-2008, 01:44 PM
JK Junkie

Go back to your dealer and show him this link.....

http://www.jeep.com/en/4x4/off_road_guide/

It is from Jeeps own website and tells and shows how to climb rocks.....then explain to him how nice it will be to own the Dealership when the false advertisement lawsuit is over......Good luck
Old 08-13-2008, 02:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

From the same jeep site above:

"From the original Willys MB to the 2008 Liberty, the Jeep® brand has been the leader in 4x4 innovation and off-road capability for over 66 years. The proof is in our exclusive Trail Rated standard.

We test Jeep® 4x4s on the toughest trails in the world to prove one thing: They can take whatever you dish out. The Trail Rated® badge means that your Jeep 4x4 has been designed to perform in five categories of off-road conditions: traction, ground clearance, maneuverability, articulation, and water fording."

BTW, why would the dealer care, this is a warranty part and they get paid by Jeep to service it!
Old 08-13-2008, 03:12 PM
JK Newbie

Just let you know the caliber of person I am dealing with:

I also took my jeep in for brakes. There answer for that was, the wheels are full of mud and that if the Jeep had been driven on the highway the brakes would still be good. My replay for what was if that was the issue it would not say "Trail Rated" on the side it would come with a "Highway Approved" badge.

I guess I am going to Call DC tomorrow.
Old 08-13-2008, 03:14 PM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah... unfortunately, it sounds like you've got a dealer who is very unfriendly to those who use their Jeeps as intended. Are there any other dealers in your area, or are they the only option?
Old 08-13-2008, 03:19 PM
JK Freak

i don't understand dealers don't they get paid something when they do some warranty work anyway
Old 08-13-2008, 03:29 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We need a sticky about jeep friendly dealers and not so friendly dealers.
We need to spread the word obout the non friendly ones and when their sales start to suffer maybe they will change their position.

Quick Reply: Service Denied for abnormal driving conditions.