Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.
View Poll Results: How "hardcore" of a Wrangler owner will you be in the next 3 years?
Diamond: Rocks shake and tremble at my trail-only rig's mighty approach.
0.85%
Iron: My JK will be modded to handle moderate-to-hard terrain - I'll suffer on-road for it.
20.43%
Hardwood: My JK will see reasonable mods and offroad use, but will remain my daily driver
67.23%
Softwood: My JK will remain near-stock and see some occasional light offroad use
11.49%
Marshmallow: My JK will stay stock, and won't ever see where the pavement ends.
0%
Voters: 235. You may not vote on this poll

(Self-proclaimed) Hardcore Rating

Old 03-13-2007, 05:57 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have no problem being softwood. I plan on towing mine behind our motorhome to colorado and other family vacations. I have two young daughters and doing rough rock trails will not be accepted very well by the three women on my life. I do plan on taking it on many trails up in colorado for some really great off road sight seeing. I really loved Lake city and the surrounding trails when I was there last year. I hope to take my new jeep on some trails like that this year. We used ATVs last year and I would take them as well but a family outing in the jeep would be great fun for the softer side of my family. 6 to 8 hour jonts on the ATVs would never fly with the wife and kids. One rain storm and they would be done...:sad:
Old 03-13-2007, 09:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'm the Hardwood type. My Jeep also has to stay low enough to throw and toddler seat in the back.
Old 03-14-2007, 06:24 AM
JK Newbie

The JK will be built up to at least HardWood or more likely IronWood level
ie, My JK will see many reasonable modifications so as to be capable of handling moderate-to-hard terrain - I'll suffer on-road for it - but it will also remain my daily driver and only see some occasional light offroad use for the first 18months. (The Xterra will be resurrected, SASed and become mostly a trail only rig) … although as the years go by I know the JK will see more and more trail time and run harder and harder trails so that by the end of the 3 years the wheeling I do, “Iron lvl”, will be comparable to it’s build up and full capability.
Old 03-14-2007, 06:47 AM
Eternal ***erator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I said hardwood, although i am mostly marshmallow at the moment. I tend to be a modaholic by nature, so i doubt that will last, but who knows? there are other things in life besides my Jeep.

ok, quit laughing, i didnt mean it.
Old 03-14-2007, 07:09 AM
JK Freak

I went the harwood route. I'll be running 35's when the tread or warrany runs out, whichever comes first. I'll also run 4" of lift. I'd rather have a little extra roo for the rubber. Where I'm at it's mostly mud wheeling. My friends did some tire induced body work on our last Saturday outing. You just never know whats under the water's surface.
Old 03-14-2007, 07:20 AM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think I like most people will use the JK as a daily driver for a few years, let the warranty run out - then its time to step it up a notch. Hopefully in 4-5 years after she's paid off I can buy another DD - something to haul the JK hopefully, then go crazy.

Hopefully by then my wife makes a lot more money, pigs will fly, monkeys will fly out of my ass, and i'll find that pot at the end of the rainbow - in order to pay for all that.
Old 03-14-2007, 07:53 AM
JK Junkie

Talking Informal Analysis

Well, 71 votes in as of this writing, and we have a pretty textbook-looking bell curve going on... no one wants to go to either extreme, but some of us are looking to go harder, and some softer, than what might be considered "normal" for a Jeep.

As for me, I picked Hardwood - I'd love to go Iron someday, but:

1) the wife controls the pursestrings... which is probably a good thing for the sake of my financial health! She already knows that a lift is going on eventually, as are bigger meats (tires) - the question is: how much more can I get "approval" for in the next 3 years...

2) the terrain available here in CT just doesn't justify going TOO extreme... a lift and some 35"ers will probably carry me safely through anything I'll be able to find around here! In fact, my Sahara may be able to clear 90% of what's availabe STOCK... we'll see!
Old 03-14-2007, 08:01 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my jeep will likely be modded somewhere between hardwood or iron...but my thirst for experience, coupled with a complete disregard for my safety or the cosmetics of my rig will push her to iron.
Old 03-14-2007, 08:04 AM
JK Newbie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I checked hardwood. I had a lot of fun offroading with my modified '99 TJ before I sold it. Haven't done much with my '07 yet. Heck, I've had it since 12/12/06 and I'm still under 2,000 miles.

I'm not really a big fan of the ORV park rides. To me, it's much more enjoyable to ride a trail that takes you somewhere...like a remote camping spot that not many people can get to. I did that ALOT in my TJ. I like packing up the gear & beer and hanging out with friends in the middle of nowhere for a couple days.

No Deliverance jokes please...
Old 03-14-2007, 08:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

hardwood for me. i'll get to the mods, mud and forest someday

Quick Reply: (Self-proclaimed) Hardcore Rating