Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Second Opinion on Hardtop

Old 03-23-2011, 11:57 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by toad
Jut because it's a jeep doesn't mean we HAVE to deal with a leaky, loud soft top. When I bought my jeep, it came with the hard top. Once I took off the top, I knew I HAD to have a soft top. As much as I love my soft top, it does leak like a MF'er when it rains and it is pretty loud from wind noise. So, I keep the soft top on as my summer top and change to the hard top for the winter. Best of both worlds if you ask me.
I don't understand how different the soft tops can be. What is "very leaky?" Mine will let in a few tablespoons on a high pressure automatic car wash. Rain, and that is torrential Colorado rain with sometimes 30-50+mph winds lets in a few drops. Do I have to wait for the top to be busted to shit for the leaks? My dads 10+ year old TJ top is still within what I would expect for a Wrangler. As in usually dry, with a few wet spots in extreme situations.

Are you guys sure that you have your top on right? I question it because I live next to a guy (apartment) that as far as I have seen has NEVER properly put his top on. Just today I told my wife it bugged me so much that I was going to have to talk to him (I don't know him). She rolled her eyes and told me to mind my own business, but it drives me insane when I see it. He never has the "clips" fully set. Never! It is raining and snowing and the top sits on there without being "clicked" in all the way. All he is missing is that extra 90*, but that would be sure to make it leak like crazy and obnoxiously loud to boot.
Old 03-24-2011, 09:41 AM
JK Newbie

My 08 jeep came factory with a hard top. I recently purchased a factory soft-top off somebody with an 07. I'm having some trouble installing it, but it apparently may need some additional hardware to install. I need some feedback. Thanks.
Old 03-24-2011, 11:14 AM
JK Newbie

It didn't come with any brackets, so I guess I'll be needing to buy them. Thanks for the help!

Quick Reply: Second Opinion on Hardtop