Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

seat rust

Old 10-16-2008, 12:26 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default seat rust

I noticed today that my front passenger seat frame is rusted where the top meets the bottom. (where it hinges) I never saw it before, but the seat was reclined more than normal and I saw it right before I had to be at work. I saw the rust on the parts you can see through the opening in the cloth close to where the seatbelt clicks in. I did not have time to look at the drivers side but with all the leaking this Jeep has had I would be surprised if it isn't rusty too. Is everyones rusty, or is it just mine because of all the leaking issues?

I know I didn't take a photo. I am at work. I will do it when I get off later.
Old 10-16-2008, 12:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine is the same way as well...

Why is it that the passenger side is worse that the driver side?
Old 10-16-2008, 12:50 PM
JK Freak

I haven't noticed my seat frames rusting but then again I've only had mine for a few months. What I have noticed is the E brake lever is covered with a coating of rust already you think they could have at least put a coat of clear on the damn thing.

next homegrown mod will be to pull, dismantel and paint the seat frames along with any other raw steel found inside
Old 10-16-2008, 01:48 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i have a little rust as well.

the thing that gets me all worked up are the little bristles around the ebrake. they stay in the shape that they were in when the brake was pulled and when its down, there is a big old gaping bristle hole.
Old 10-16-2008, 03:46 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

All builders- Honda,Lexus, Toyota, the big 3 etc etc do NOT paint the seat frames. My advice is to disassemble the jeep completely, ( don't forget that e-brake handle) paint the seat frames with high- gloss Rustoleum black. Get some higher quality bristles for the e-brake slot and change them at the same time. After all this hassle the jeep won't be ANY better and it won't be worth 10 cents more.......
Old 10-16-2008, 04:38 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by bigbluejk
I noticed today that my front passenger seat frame is rusted where the top meets the bottom. (where it hinges) I never saw it before, but the seat was reclined more than normal and I saw it right before I had to be at work. I saw the rust on the parts you can see through the opening in the cloth close to where the seatbelt clicks in. I did not have time to look at the drivers side but with all the leaking this Jeep has had I would be surprised if it isn't rusty too. Is everyones rusty, or is it just mine because of all the leaking issues?

I know I didn't take a photo. I am at work. I will do it when I get off later.
Same here too! Only my passenger side. Glad to see at least others have this issue too thought it was just me. Wish it wasnt so though...
Old 10-16-2008, 05:46 PM
JK Jedi

thanks for letting me know. I just wanted to make sure all this interior soaking my Jeep has suffered had not caused the seat to rust. You guys gave me some piece of mind. I have been worried about interior components failing prematurely because of all the water leaking in. I guess tinman thought I was complaining about it or looking for a fix? thanks anyway?
Old 10-16-2008, 05:48 PM
JK Freak

Mine too
Old 10-16-2008, 07:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Mine is rusted too. I noticed it after being at Corova beach for a week.
Old 10-17-2008, 01:13 AM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by bigbluejk
thanks for letting me know. I just wanted to make sure all this interior soaking my Jeep has suffered had not caused the seat to rust. You guys gave me some piece of mind. I have been worried about interior components failing prematurely because of all the water leaking in. I guess tinman thought I was complaining about it or looking for a fix? thanks anyway?
bigblue- I reread my post and I really worded it poorly. I just meant to convey that all these vehicles are built to a price level they will sell at- if it is an item that is not easily seen- you will not see much paint on it - if any. Virtually all seat assemblies I've rebuilt or replaced have been accident damaged or broken from fatigue, not rusted apart. I'm sure that a jeep being rained in constantly would rust the seat structure apart eventually, but even a coat of paint wouldn't help then. As for the bristles we all have to live with those. the older vehicles had rubber seals which eventually would tear up.... We could redo or modify any standard item on the jeep to a higher level of finish than it had originally and like I said previously it wouldn't make the jeep worth a dime more.....just MY 2 cents worth

Quick Reply: seat rust