Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Search And Rescue / CERT JK's

Old 01-20-2011, 07:40 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree with jjw. If possible, we stay off the repeaters. We use Simplex frequently. I'm not a fan of GMRS. We have CB's and Ham's in our Jeeps. Mine also has a scanner built in so I can monitor all the Fire, Sheriff, tactical and mutual aid frequencies.

They changed the test in June of 2010 so all the old books are no longer good. Bummer. I have an old General book. I was going to try for my General license.
Old 01-20-2011, 08:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quite a few of us including me just have the lowest level of FCC license, Technician. Easy to get and gets you on the air legally with powerful equipment. I have a 50 watt mobile in my JK. When I'm on foot I carry a 5 watt handheld.
Old 01-20-2011, 02:25 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by OnBelay
Christine: My boyfriend is highly interested in this. I will PM you for contact information. He is an EMT, an avid rock climber (has lots of gear), and is finishing up his PADI Rescue diver & Amatuer Radio (HAM) certifications. We carry most of the supplies you have listed on a daily basis. As for our Jeep ... it's pretty loaded as well.

-Dawn Marie
It sounds like he's very well qualified. I'll answer any questions he may have.
Old 01-23-2011, 10:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

Hey Christine, for your four wheeling group training, did you utilize any training manuals or was it all practical training in the field? Looking for some reference materials to work with to start up our group here.
Old 01-23-2011, 02:32 PM
JK Freak

We didn't use any training materials. A friend of mine has been extreme rock crawling for over 20 years. He's seen everything, done everything.....so he's been our instructor.
All our classes are hands on. We do monthly rides to test our skills and increase our knowledge.
Then I did searches of local people and found someone to teach Map/Compass and Man Tracking and someone else to teach Wilderness Survival. It's basically a lot of networking and PR.
Since I'm a Volunteer Sheriff I'm already 'in the system' so I hooked up with the Search and Rescue Sgt and Capt. They loved the group and are helping me get more training for the team.

Last edited by Christine; 01-23-2011 at 02:36 PM.
Old 01-23-2011, 02:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

cert certified ( )
zombie certifed ( )
Old 01-24-2011, 01:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks Christine!
Old 01-24-2011, 06:47 AM
JK Freak

Here's a place to start to begin your own CERT team http://www.citizencorps.gov/cert/start.shtm
Just take it a little farther and add 4x4 equipment and skills.
If you PM me your email, I'll send you some of the stuff I handed out to my team.
Old 01-31-2011, 08:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

I am wondering how other teams notify their members that they are being deployed. We used to use the old alpha numeric pagers that worked great and were reliably. Now that cell phones are so widely used our pager service has been shutdown. We currently use text messaging on cell phones with some software but have found it not very reliable. Anyone have any other suggestions?
Old 04-11-2011, 09:32 AM
JK Super Freak

Our S&R team has used usamobility with great results. Very dependable.

Quick Reply: Search And Rescue / CERT JK's