Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Say it ain't so!

Old 12-19-2008, 02:49 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

also im sure some of that above stated prejudice can come from the increase of "non-jeep" drivers. AKA soccer moms who bought a 4 door thinking its a cheaper escalade or some bs like that
Old 12-19-2008, 03:19 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The JK is very capable. I guess what nay sayers are getting at are the reliabilty issues. I haven't had any personally. Problems with my mods, yes, but not the factory parts.

Is the JK less reliable? The wrangler is known for it's Toyota like reliabilty...legendary.
Old 12-19-2008, 03:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

Whenever you mod a vehicle you run the risk of things going wrong, that is just the nature of the game. That being said there is no other stock vehicle that can go as far as a JK. Reliability may be an issue but what do you expect when you are driving over rocks on a regular basis. Stuff is going to break. I personally have not had a problem yet and I wheel mine hard every Saturday and then drive it to work during the week.
Old 12-19-2008, 03:53 PM
JK Newbie

Talking

Originally Posted by scouter4life
That's a bunch of BS, they have more off the floor offroad capability than any previous. We see this with every new incarnation of the Jeep.

here is what has been said with each new version.
  • YJ's were ridiculed for being too nice inside with things not needed and what's up with the headlights.
  • TJ's were ridiculed for coil springs and what's with all the nice luxury items, that dash is just too nice
  • JK's have a bunch of stuff I don't need and why did they get rid of the 4.0.
As you can see there is the repatative "it's too nice/soft" with every release, yet each one gets more capable.

Just take your friends out and show them what it can do. That usually shuts them up.
X2........
Old 12-19-2008, 05:16 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I must put in my 2 cents worth- this WranglerJK ( my second Jeep Wrangler) has been 100% reliable in the 22,000 miles I've put on it. I am a 35 year auto repair professional and I can spot an unreliable- trouble prone piece of CRAP and the JK is NOT one of them. Most reliability issues on the Jeeps are directly related to 20-25,000 20 to 30 year olds flogging the hell out of them every weekend. This leads to BREAKAGE, and many vehicle break the same items. Many- a large percentage of these floggers are participants on forums like these which gives a somewhat skewed appearance of reliability. Virtually all the reliability polls I've seen run around 5 % repeated reliability problems, depending on items polled. This is not at all out of line on a low- cost massed-produced vehicle. Hell even Mercedes was running 130 warranty claims per 100 vehicles built, which was higher than Hyundai. A lot of complaints appear to be non-Jeepers seduced by the Jeep lifestyle and having unmet expectations. These comments are not intended to minimize legitimate reliability issues, but we know all companies have them. Anyway, after all this jawboning I mean to say the JK is a darned good vehicle. My nickles' worth....
Old 12-19-2008, 05:55 PM
JK Freak

I agree that Jk's are reliable. I think a good deal of the complaints are generated from the stealerships service departments. If they would just properly diagnose the problem, fix it right the first time, and stop the lame " Oh they all do that, or we could not duplicate the condition" excuse when there is a problem, their would be very few complaints with the Jeep brand in general.
Old 12-19-2008, 06:16 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lifetime Drivetain warranty. 'nuff said!
Old 12-19-2008, 06:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Frame

Too lazy to look it up- but I remember reading ( I think from Jeeps site) that the JK's frame is 100 percent stroner than previous (TJ) model. I think the JK is rugged, reliable, capable, safe and has pretty good road manners.
Old 12-19-2008, 06:29 PM
JK Super Freak

As to the sheet metal, its thinner because of fuel standards, also to allow a crumple zone to save lives. So...........I don't sit on the hood, don't put no babes on the hood

So far I am very pleased with my Jeep, and don't expect it ever to change, until the Hemi's come with it stock. VBG
Old 12-19-2008, 06:52 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by SaginawMike
Lifetime Drivetain warranty. 'nuff said!
Sorry, but mine is 2007.

Quick Reply: Say it ain't so!