Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Said bye to my '09 JKU 2+ years ago... Finally looking to get another! Need advice

Old 07-12-2016, 08:09 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Said bye to my '09 JKU 2+ years ago... Finally looking to get another! Need advice

Looking into another JKU, maybe 2012-2014 model. It's been 2-3 years and I've missed my Jeep more than anything. If you were to buy a used JKU, what year would you get and why? Or would you jut go with a Stock X, or Sport? etc. Looking for all suggestions and tips. Not really familiar anymore with any equipment/features in which I should be looking for - so if you have any recommendations for that also, that would be great. Thanks!
Old 07-12-2016, 08:26 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Need more info like is it a daily driver? You plan to wheel it? If so what type of wheeling? Etc
Old 07-12-2016, 08:39 AM
JK Freak

Default New Jeep

Originally Posted by j0ker
Looking into another JKU, maybe 2012-2014 model. It's been 2-3 years and I've missed my Jeep more than anything. If you were to buy a used JKU, what year would you get and why? Or would you jut go with a Stock X, or Sport? etc. Looking for all suggestions and tips. Not really familiar anymore with any equipment/features in which I should be looking for - so if you have any recommendations for that also, that would be great. Thanks!
Stay away from a 12. Engine problems. Some may have been worked on, others not. You can probably look up the info. on the problem on this site. They are hard to stay away from, aren't they?
Old 07-12-2016, 09:49 AM
JK Junkie

Received 160 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by saharaharry
Stay away from a 12. Engine problems. Some may have been worked on, others not. You can probably look up the info. on the problem on this site. They are hard to stay away from, aren't they?
True that some 2012 and even some 2013 suffer from left side head problems. However, Chrysler has extended the warranty to 150,000 miles, so that can mitigate the risk of the issue. At least it would be fixed for free if it does happen. My 2012 has been amazingly reliable. Now at 76,000 miles with no problems. Engine still sounds and feels good as new.
Just saying that your warning to stay away from 2012 may be a bit too strong of language. Of course if you find a 2013 or 2014 for a comparable deal, I'd take that over a 2012.
It really is a small overall percentage of 2012's that had the head problem, which jeep will fix for free under 150,000 miles.
Old 07-12-2016, 11:39 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by robsjeep9
Need more info like is it a daily driver? You plan to wheel it? If so what type of wheeling? Etc
Forgot to write that. Would be daily driver up here in Central NY, but the occasional off-pavement, off-road adventure. I used to LOVE taking my '09 off the beaten path into territories which did some damage, and I loved it - but looking into the future, I may not be risking that much anymore as this would be more of a daily driver than anything. Minor lift kit and bigger tires are planned for down the road, but right now focused on getting me and my girlfriend around, plus our soon to be 110lb. Bernese Mountain Dog.

It would be nice if it had the Infinity upgraded system as well since we love cruisin' with the top off !
Old 07-12-2016, 12:41 PM
JK Junkie

Received 160 Likes on 141 Posts

If you plan to add bigger tires, do not settle for the 3.21 rear gearing. The 3.73 will be harder to find, but are worth the effort.
Old 07-14-2016, 09:14 AM
JK Freak

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I don't know what it's like in your area, but around here used JKs are extremely overvalued. It's a way better value to get a new one, especially if you are planning to keep it mostly stock. Maybe the only real difference is if you are looking for a specific model that's either no longer available or a big cost factory upgrade.

I'd just say get a new one with a new warranty and you can get exactly what you want. If you wait until late October you can probably get a 2016 off the lot for a much better deal than even a used one.

But I'd echo others. Get 3.73 gears in any case unless you are ONLY going to ever run the 16" wheels with 29" tires (unlikely). And if you are buying new, pick your top options wisely. If you ever want a premium soft top, get that first. Hard tops are easy to find used and won't have tons of wear on them like you might have with a soft top.

My advice, which I know many others here won't agree with, is do NOT pay extra on a new or used Jeep to get aftermarket bumpers, lift, wheels & tires, etc. Odds are pretty slim that you will agree with the taste decisions someone else made, and there are a ton of other tradeoffs with this kind of equipment so you probably want to make those choices yourself and just start with something stock. I don't consider a Jeep with aftermarket wheels and tires or bumpers to be worth more than it would be with the factory equipment, ditto that for stuff like bedliner on the fender flares or that kind of thing. I'd say start with a stock vehicle and do the mods yourself that make sense to you.

Quick Reply: Said bye to my '09 JKU 2+ years ago... Finally looking to get another! Need advice