Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Saharas = Mall Crawlers?

Old 08-02-2011, 08:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ChryslerChris
Aww come on guys and gals. Gotta lighten up a little. I know for a fact that everyone on these forums are Jeep enthusiasts and that we all love our Jeeps. You’re reading this posts and others for a reason – we all have the same passion, right? But I know for a fact that Saharas were designed specifically to appeal to the non-niche crowd – to basically bring in the people who originally thought the Jeep was too “rough” for use as an everyday vehicle. In truth, the JKU was designed for the exact same reason too.

As a prime example, my wife is somewhat of a girly girl who happens to love Jeeps. She loved my Liberty, drives a Commander and is absolutely thrilled with my modded Sport. (we both hated the Patriot, but who doesn’t?) But she would not drive a Sport or Rubi. For someone like her, a color matched JKU Sahara is THE PERFECT vehicle for her. She probably would never own a Wrangler any other way. I’m 100% sure that once I “accidentally” wrap her Commander around a tree on a solo grocery run someday, a red JKU Sahara is her replacement.

Now I know and respect the ones who buy a Sahara to wheel with and treat it as any other Jeep. That’s just awesome . A Jeep IS a Jeep – they are all capable.

But with “designed for the mass market” vehicles like the Sahara, it will inadvertently draw in non-traditional customers as well. It has happened to Porsche with the introduction of the 944’s and Boxter, or even the Cayenne. I have a slight issue with those people – they truly don’t get it. No waves, snotty, gives you dirty looks because you modded your Jeeps. It’s like folks who go to a Kid Rock concert wearing suits and evening dresses. No offense
Says the guy with an 2011. Those interiors are pretty car like Again - what does it matter? A Jeep is a Jeep. Who cares what reasons a person buys it for? Maybe they wany extra room like I do for my dogs when we go camping?

You'd think you'd learn
Old 08-02-2011, 08:26 AM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by benny

Who's got the coolest soccer Mom, the Mom with the CRV? The Expedition? The Tahoe? I think the Mom with the Jeep is the coolest.
Only if she has an amazing rack
Old 08-02-2011, 08:27 AM
Super Moderator

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by SilverJK12
This is a stupid thread! I have a sahara an use my "mall accessories" with the sahara for good use. I love them! I installed a backup camera for the nav system so I can see when I am in a tight spot backing up over rocks. It is because my spare 35 soon 37 is too big to see around. Yea I have the painted CHOPPED fenders to give more room to flex! I like my upgraded sound system. I hate autos ( luxury IMO) so bought a manual cause that's driving a jeep to me. I have probably added more mods in lights, suspension, winches , skid plates , axle upgrades than 90 percent on this forum.

So to make this title of this thread is just ignorant.....

Ohhh better not buy a 2012 rubicon !!! Or ya gonna get hands free radio controls to listen to Justin beiber on the way to the mall! Lol And no my sahara doesn't even have that. Lol
Couldn't have said it better. I also have a sahara jku that is being built and modded as money allows. Also people who don't like the unlimiteds should realize that they probably saved the jeep name. Before they were introduced jeep sales were way down and building the 4 door opened a whole new option in jeeping for a lot of people. It allows much more versatility for a lot of buyers and you can still wheel and build them as much as the 2 doors
Old 08-02-2011, 08:29 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by BigRedJK
Only if she has an amazing rack
WIN
Old 08-02-2011, 08:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SilverJK12
This is a stupid thread! I have a sahara an use my "mall accessories" with the sahara for good use. I love them! I installed a backup camera for the nav system so I can see when I am in a tight spot backing up over rocks. It is because my spare 35 soon 37 is too big to see around. Yea I have the painted CHOPPED fenders to give more room to flex! I like my upgraded sound system. I hate autos ( luxury IMO) so bought a manual cause that's driving a jeep to me. I have probably added more mods in lights, suspension, winches , skid plates , axle upgrades than 90 percent on this forum.

So to make this title of this thread is just ignorant.....

Ohhh better not buy a 2012 rubicon !!! Or ya gonna get hands free radio controls to listen to Justin beiber on the way to the mall! Lol And no my sahara doesn't even have that. Lol
Nope - yours still sucks. Painted fenders and a Sahara - fail!

Old 08-02-2011, 08:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

One day I'm gonna make a thread to make people flame me.
Old 08-02-2011, 08:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

It's a fact kiddies that the JKU is the new offroading platform. The JKU storm has hit land and its not going any where anytime soon. Look at those guys out in MOAB? Those JKU's are dominating those hills. Nowwwww. I'd love to see those rock boys drive to the east coast for a little georgia clay and massive rocks

I care less what you have in your jeep. You can have the monster of the monster JK's in all of the land, I'll stop and help you fix that axle waaayy before someone in a BMW will. Just from the posts I can see people are involved in this culture for all the wrong reasons... When a $90,000 rig can take his time to assist a $30,000 rig, thats what this culture is all about. I'm a nice guy, I go out of my way to help people, but I would stop and help a jeep long before I'd stop and help any other type of vehicle unless she has a nice rack.

Quit worrying about what everyone else has and concentrate on your ride. How would you feel is some of the $70,000 rig owners told you that your ride was shit? thought so.. We all graduated 5th grade i hope..
Old 08-02-2011, 08:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have no idea why pre-JK Jeep owners think that JK owners are a bunch of tools.
Old 08-02-2011, 08:56 AM
Super Moderator

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by ukie jk

I don't agree. He has a valid point although maybe poorly worded, valid none the less.

In order to increase sales, Chrysler has to appeal to potential car buyers that would normally overlook the utilitarian Wrangler product. By offering something with more creature comforts like leather seats and the new 2011-2012 interior, painted fenders, color matched top and bumper trim they are trying to appeal to a totally different market.

This is Targeted Marketing IMHO.

I see way more stock Wranglers where I live. Mostly Unlimited with hard tops. Both male and female drivers and lots of Saharas. I don't get waves from any of them and I don't get butt hurt about it either.

Not everyone buys a jeep to be part of the "jeep culture" and take it rock crawling.

My .02
Read my last post. I truly don't see the point of this thread. If it weren't for all the soccer moms and mall crawlers buying jeeps we might not have wranglers to look forward to in the future. Why judge someone because they like their stock jeep and make a post about it?
Old 08-02-2011, 09:16 AM
JK Newbie

I think the Sahara's are pretty nice. If I were to get one it would be for the leather, I think that's a great option. The 18 inch wheels are starting to grow on me. I think I'm going to buy the Sport though with the upgraded Infinity system, hard top, trailer tow, tinted windows, limited slip, and 23S package. That way I get the options I want and pay less than I would for a Sahara. I'm planning on getting Rubi rock rail takeoffs. To each their own.

Quick Reply: Saharas = Mall Crawlers?