Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Saharas = Mall Crawlers?

Old 12-13-2011, 05:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Uselss thread is useless....
Old 12-13-2011, 06:33 AM
JK Newbie

Lets make this thread useful then and help promote the sahara model. How about all sahara owners meet at a designated spot on saturday 12/17. the meeting will take place at a spot where no sahara owner will be inconvenienced - a mall parking lot near you. So shine up those fenders,heat up those seats, and be ready to tackle some tough terrain.
Old 12-13-2011, 08:03 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by arasco85
Nice neverstock. Is it still a Sahara if you have after market fenders?
good point.... but it does still have navigation, and a rear cam with DVD in motion capabilities... it just so happens I can watch movies in it from the top of trails that most of these people bashing on this thread couldn't climb.

Maybe we should start a thread called RUBI- CRAWLERS.... been on the trail with plenty of those....never even attempted one single obstable....now that is something worth ranting about...spending all that extra money to DRIVE BY all the obstacles!!
Old 12-13-2011, 08:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jeepmont
Lets make this thread useful then and help promote the sahara model. How about all sahara owners meet at a designated spot on saturday 12/17. the meeting will take place at a spot where no sahara owner will be inconvenienced - a mall parking lot near you. So shine up those fenders,heat up those seats, and be ready to tackle some tough terrain.
How would that make anything useful?

Who is this thread even aimed at?

Most JK/JKU's don't go off-road anyway.
"a tacit (if belated) acknowledgement that around 80 percent of Wrangler owners don't do much more than drive their rigs on dirt roads."
http://autos.aol.com/cars-Jeep-Wrang...expert-review/

It isn't just Sahara = mall crawler....
"Most" new Wranglers = mall crawlers...

But in the end, there are plenty of people that wheel whatever they have...just like there are plenty of Rubi owners who ONLY purchased a Rubi for the sticker on the side....and none of it matters in the big scheme of things.
Old 12-14-2011, 08:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

What's wrong with going to the mall? So if you have a Rubi or Sport you're not allowed to go? The fact someone bought a Wrangler and waves makes them "cool". Not a poser.

People thinking Saharas are lame are just insecure.

Plus it's hard to find mud when you live in a city that has a drought and cops are all on your ass about mudding in local areas.
Old 12-14-2011, 08:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Sorry to bring this thread up again I know I know it's a dumb thread lol but I noticed Sahara owners teaming up against Rubis and am trying to help avoid that disaster
Old 12-15-2011, 06:59 AM
JK Newbie

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2038616807.jpg
Views:	331
Size:	99.0 KB
ID:	250269

I had a 2008 Sahara JKU and traded it in for a 2011 Rubicon JKU. I rolled the Rubicon off-roading and totaled it. Luckily I wasn't hurt and it was covered by my insurance company. I am probably going to get a 2012 Sahara 2dr to replace it. If I put swaybar quick disconnects on it the only things I will be missing are the lockers and the lower crawl ratio. My reasons for going back to the Sahara are my Sahara averaged 21 mpg vs 17 mpg on the Rubicon. The miles per tank of gas was 400 for the 2008 Sahara vs 330 for the 2011 Rubicon. I would probably get a sport if I could get it with the NAV radio. I also think the Sahara drives better on the highway. I want to get either Sahara Tan or Crush and i think those colors look better with painted fenders( i know you can now get painted fenders on the Rubicon) The Sahara does equally well on the beach (Outer Banks) and in the snow. And the number one thing I like about both is driving with the top down and doors off. It makes everyday feel like vacation. Having owned both a Sahara and Rubicon I can say both are real jeeps. And what bothers me most is when it is over 70 degrees and sunny and people drive with their tops up.
Old 12-15-2011, 07:25 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jeepmont

Thanks! . . . . the terrain around the Raceway Mall in Freehold, NJ can be pretty rough sometimes . . .

One of the really great things about Jeep is that they have a little something for everyone . . . from a basic 16" wheel machine that you can build on, all the way to the dedicated off-road Rubicon!

I love my Sahara . . . heated seats, shiny fenders and all!

I'm not at all sorry (or ashamed) that I bought it.

All best, and Merry Christmas,
Joe

Last edited by Jersey Joe; 12-15-2011 at 07:45 AM.
Old 12-18-2011, 12:08 PM
JK Newbie

Default Wow...

Good Lord, this thread is rediculous, but there are the same folks on every forum, willing to redicule others and defend to the death whatever it is they own...However, it's good to see there are some sane folks out there discouraging the conflict..
Having owned multiple Jeeps of varying models and also mutiple Toyota's, any rig's offroad-ability can be highly modified to make it better than stock or better than the next dude's rig, just depends on what you want your rig to do...Plus it also includes the owner's driving ablity/finances/wrenching skills...I've met some dumb kids who's daddys $ bought them a tricked out Rubicon, but I could wheel ciricles around them in my modified Sahara. It doesn't mean the Rubi sucks, there are just more factors involved than what color your fenders are. some folks enjoy a stripped down rig, and good on them, less to worry about cleaning...Others enjoy great off-road capability in a nicer package, so what?
My first Wrangler was a stripped out '91 YJ with loud 4.0, 35's, and rhino-lined tub that got hot while driving, but now I love my Unlimited Sahara (3" Teraflex and 35" MTZ's) just as much as I loved that first rig...Just have different priorties now.
Let folks wheel (or drive to the mall) whatever they want and just enjoying wheeling and wrenching on your own rig...If you want to be all about a specific model, start your own club/forum.
Be a proud Jeep owner, but leave the model arguments alone already...Can't believe I actually took time to read this thread..
Old 12-25-2011, 05:45 AM
JK Enthusiast

my Sahara

Quick Reply: Saharas = Mall Crawlers?