Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Saharas = Mall Crawlers?

Old 08-06-2011, 07:44 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by panthermark
I waited 36 hours to get registered just so I could reply to this thread.

I'm looking at a 2012 Sahara. I've been following this website, and a few others for quite a bit of time now.
I don't own a Wrangler.
I've never owned a Wrangler.
But this kind of "snobbery" may keep it that way.

I purchased a used Liberty from Carmax a couple of years ago as a 2nd/winter vehicle (and yes, I'm a 36 year old male). This was the first "Jeep" I had ever owned, and outside of the crappy milage (and iffy Chrysler build), I really like it. After joining a different forum to learn everything I can about the KJ, and discovered the "caste system" then.... Not a fan. (Wow, I did my research and got a smoking deal on a 65th Annv Liberty with all kinds of extra....only to find out it was't a "real" Jeep? Oh noes... I waved at other Jeeps for the first week or so....but no one waved back. Wait...that is for another thread"

The reason why I'm looking at a Wrangler Sahara Unlimited now is because I always wanted one, but it wasn't practical or affordable for me. The 2012 Sahara Unlimted is about as practical for me as I can expect one to be, and the cost is no longer an issue (but gas milage is). I'm looking at the Sahara over the Rubi because there are parts on the Rubi that I simply won't use....so there is no need to pay for them. The Sahara has most of the options and amenities that I want. Mall crawler? Most likely. It won't be lifted, I won't add extra armor, the wheels will probably stay stock (but black rims do look boss). It will have leather...it will have 4 doors, and will probably have an automatic transmission. The top will come down on nice days, it will hit a few light trails, tow a small trailer, and get me through those awful Chicago winters with ease as my daily driver. Most importantly....it will put money in Chrysler's pocket....which will keep Jeep line going.
The funny thing is...the whole "scene" reminds of the motorcycle forum I'm a member of but no longer visit. They used to look down on the RUBS and the squids and "lifestyle" riders. Our particular bikes (2001-2006 Triumph Bonnevilles) were looked down upon by the "real" Bonnie riders who's bikes were made in the 60's and 70's....while we looked down upon the Bonneville riders who got their bikes after 2006 when Triumph switched production from England to Thailand...and from carbs to FI. We also looked down at those who bought Triumph "cruisers".
After awhile...it simply got stupid looking down at people.. Let them enjoy whatever it is they want to enjoy....and I'll do the same.
Don't be bothered by this thread or let it change your mind about biying a JK. We are VERY passionate about our jeeps, and get very defensive when someone questions our passion. I personally wouldnt do alot of stuff but would never question what another Jeeper does to his Jeep. If you want to make a hardcore offroader or put 20's and Chrome it out so be it, it's your Jeep.
Old 08-06-2011, 07:45 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by speed2005
I'm on my way to the mall. Hope I don't get spotted.

Sent from my HTC Evo on the Sprint Network
LOL. If they have parking dividers make sure you flex out on it.
Old 08-06-2011, 07:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

I purchasd my Sahara "mall crawler" last summer. I did because I liked the vehicle period. Soon noticed other jeep drivers waving at me. Told my wife about this and she just laughed until she saw it for herself. Now I'm part of this form, this is my first post. Looking at bigger tires and a lift for next summer. Wave at all wranglers. Looking for some trails for my son a I to try out. So take it easy, some of us start out at different levels... given time we might just get there.
Old 08-06-2011, 08:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by panthermark
I waited 36 hours to get registered just so I could reply to this thread.

I'm looking at a 2012 Sahara. I've been following this website, and a few others for quite a bit of time now.
I don't own a Wrangler.
I've never owned a Wrangler.
But this kind of "snobbery" may keep it that way.

I purchased a used Liberty from Carmax a couple of years ago as a 2nd/winter vehicle (and yes, I'm a 36 year old male). This was the first "Jeep" I had ever owned, and outside of the crappy milage (and iffy Chrysler build), I really like it. After joining a different forum to learn everything I can about the KJ, and discovered the "caste system" then.... Not a fan. (Wow, I did my research and got a smoking deal on a 65th Annv Liberty with all kinds of extra....only to find out it was't a "real" Jeep? Oh noes... I waved at other Jeeps for the first week or so....but no one waved back. Wait...that is for another thread"

The reason why I'm looking at a Wrangler Sahara Unlimited now is because I always wanted one, but it wasn't practical or affordable for me. The 2012 Sahara Unlimted is about as practical for me as I can expect one to be, and the cost is no longer an issue (but gas milage is). I'm looking at the Sahara over the Rubi because there are parts on the Rubi that I simply won't use....so there is no need to pay for them. The Sahara has most of the options and amenities that I want. Mall crawler? Most likely. It won't be lifted, I won't add extra armor, the wheels will probably stay stock (but black rims do look boss). It will have leather...it will have 4 doors, and will probably have an automatic transmission. The top will come down on nice days, it will hit a few light trails, tow a small trailer, and get me through those awful Chicago winters with ease as my daily driver. Most importantly....it will put money in Chrysler's pocket....which will keep Jeep line going.
The funny thing is...the whole "scene" reminds of the motorcycle forum I'm a member of but no longer visit. They used to look down on the RUBS and the squids and "lifestyle" riders. Our particular bikes (2001-2006 Triumph Bonnevilles) were looked down upon by the "real" Bonnie riders who's bikes were made in the 60's and 70's....while we looked down upon the Bonneville riders who got their bikes after 2006 when Triumph switched production from England to Thailand...and from carbs to FI. We also looked down at those who bought Triumph "cruisers".
After awhile...it simply got stupid looking down at people.. Let them enjoy whatever it is they want to enjoy....and I'll do the same.
Welcome to the forum. Don't let the losers of the group ruin it for you. There will always be the people that want to ruin fun things for other. The majority of Jeepers (on and off this site) are nice people who will not care if you lift it, keep it stock or whatever. Just enjoying the drive makes you a Jeeper.
Old 08-06-2011, 08:06 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What I dont get is the op drives an X which is a cheaper vehicle than mine. I'm not bent out of shape about this thread I could care less but let's go wheeling sometime op ill show u what my jacked up locked Sahara can do. Sure I wish i would have bought a rubicon and would if I bought another but I sure would not have bought and x. I don't have any problem with x drivers at all its a jk but I don't go looking to bash other peoples jeeps. I 100% honestly know three people who have jk rubicons that never or will never take it off road. Now if I can just get one of them to let me swap out front axles lol.

Last edited by medic_23387; 08-06-2011 at 08:11 AM.
Old 08-06-2011, 08:21 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by medic_23387
What I dont get is the op drives an X which is a cheaper vehicle than mine. I'm not bent out of shape about this thread I could care less but let's go wheeling sometime op ill show u what my jacked up locked Sahara can do. Sure I wish i would have bought a rubicon and would if I bought another but I sure would not have bought and x. I don't have any problem with x drivers at all its a jk but I don't go looking to bash other peoples jeeps. I 100% honestly know three people who have jk rubicons that never or will never take it off road. Now if I can just get one of them to let me swap out front axles lol.
Hey now, you just bashed Xs in your rant. So you are just as sad as the OP. BTW, I own an X, an would wheel your pretty little colored fenders off. Just Sayin...zzzzz
Old 08-06-2011, 08:30 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by EarlyJk

Hey now, you just bashed Xs in your rant. So you are just as sad as the OP. BTW, I own an X, an would wheel your pretty little colored fenders off. Just Sayin...zzzzz
You don't know that you would wheel sh*t off. You better be locked front/rear with a long ARM and 37's to be talking that kind of shit
Old 08-06-2011, 08:36 AM
JK Freak

Can't we all just get along? All jeeps are jeeps, except Op's is a Mall Crawler. J/K
Old 08-06-2011, 08:36 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by medic_23387

You don't know that you would wheel sh*t off. You better be locked front/rear with a long ARM and 37's to be talking that kind of shit
Lol! Touchy touchy pretty sahara boy. Mud an trails ill torch you all day long. I leave the boulders to my beater jeep. Doubt you live anywhere near me (RI) so I wont cont. to play keyboard hero... But by your response you get my point.
Old 08-06-2011, 08:37 AM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My Sahara beat up your stock Rubicon

Quick Reply: Saharas = Mall Crawlers?