Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Saharas = Mall Crawlers?

Old 08-05-2011, 10:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I waited 36 hours to get registered just so I could reply to this thread.

I'm looking at a 2012 Sahara. I've been following this website, and a few others for quite a bit of time now.
I don't own a Wrangler.
I've never owned a Wrangler.
But this kind of "snobbery" may keep it that way.

I purchased a used Liberty from Carmax a couple of years ago as a 2nd/winter vehicle (and yes, I'm a 36 year old male). This was the first "Jeep" I had ever owned, and outside of the crappy milage (and iffy Chrysler build), I really like it. After joining a different forum to learn everything I can about the KJ, and discovered the "caste system" then.... Not a fan. (Wow, I did my research and got a smoking deal on a 65th Annv Liberty with all kinds of extra....only to find out it was't a "real" Jeep? Oh noes... I waved at other Jeeps for the first week or so....but no one waved back. Wait...that is for another thread"

The reason why I'm looking at a Wrangler Sahara Unlimited now is because I always wanted one, but it wasn't practical or affordable for me. The 2012 Sahara Unlimted is about as practical for me as I can expect one to be, and the cost is no longer an issue (but gas milage is). I'm looking at the Sahara over the Rubi because there are parts on the Rubi that I simply won't use....so there is no need to pay for them. The Sahara has most of the options and amenities that I want. Mall crawler? Most likely. It won't be lifted, I won't add extra armor, the wheels will probably stay stock (but black rims do look boss). It will have leather...it will have 4 doors, and will probably have an automatic transmission. The top will come down on nice days, it will hit a few light trails, tow a small trailer, and get me through those awful Chicago winters with ease as my daily driver. Most importantly....it will put money in Chrysler's pocket....which will keep Jeep line going.
The funny thing is...the whole "scene" reminds of the motorcycle forum I'm a member of but no longer visit. They used to look down on the RUBS and the squids and "lifestyle" riders. Our particular bikes (2001-2006 Triumph Bonnevilles) were looked down upon by the "real" Bonnie riders who's bikes were made in the 60's and 70's....while we looked down upon the Bonneville riders who got their bikes after 2006 when Triumph switched production from England to Thailand...and from carbs to FI. We also looked down at those who bought Triumph "cruisers".
After awhile...it simply got stupid looking down at people.. Let them enjoy whatever it is they want to enjoy....and I'll do the same.
Old 08-05-2011, 11:57 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by panthermark

I'm looking at a 2012 Sahara. I've been following this website, and a few others for quite a bit of time now.
I don't own a Wrangler.

I purchased a used Liberty from Carmax a couple of years ago as a 2nd/winter vehicle (and yes, I'm a 36 year old male). This was the first "Jeep" I had ever owned, and outside of the crappy milage (and iffy Chrysler build), I really like it. After joining a different forum to learn everything I can about the KJ, and discovered the "caste system" then.... Not a fan. (Wow, I did my research and got a smoking deal on a 65th Annv Liberty with all kinds of extra....only to find out it was't a "real" Jeep? Oh noes... I waved at other Jeeps for the first week or so....but no one waved back. Wait...that is for another thread"

The reason why I'm looking at a Wrangler Sahara Unlimited now is because I always wanted one, but it wasn't practical or affordable for me. The 2012 Sahara Unlimted is about as practical for me as I can expect one to be, and the cost is no longer an issue (but gas milage is). I'm looking at the Sahara over the Rubi because there are parts on the Rubi that I simply won't use....so there is no need to pay for them. The Sahara has most of the options and amenities that I want. Mall crawler? Most likely. It won't be lifted, I won't add extra armor, the wheels will probably stay stock (but black rims do look boss). It will have leather...it will have 4 doors, and will probably have an automatic transmission. The top will come down on nice days, it will hit a few light trails, tow a small trailer, and get me through those awful Chicago winters with ease as my daily driver. Most importantly....it will put money in Chrysler's pocket....which will keep Jeep line going.
The funny thing is...the whole "scene" reminds of the motorcycle forum I'm a member of but no longer visit. They used to look down on the RUBS and the squids and "lifestyle" riders. Our particular bikes (2001-2006 Triumph Bonnevilles) were looked down upon by the "real" Bonnie riders who's bikes were made in the 60's and 70's....while we looked down upon the Bonneville riders who got their bikes after 2006 when Triumph switched production from England to Thailand...and from carbs to FI. We also looked down at those who bought Triumph "cruisers".
After awhile...it simply got stupid looking down at people.. Let them enjoy whatever it is they want to enjoy....and I'll do the same.
Don't let a few assholes on here deter you from what you want. People say whatever they want over the Internet but they'd never say it to someones face. Good first post btw.
Old 08-06-2011, 02:23 AM
JK Newbie

Hey Panthermark , welcome !

Don't ever let others perceptions negatively affect your decisions or your idea of the perfect Ride.

We've had so many different Jeep vehicles over the years I wouldn't know where to start, and while a few of them were real Lemons

Others were among the most beloved trucks we ever owned ( still mourning the passing of the CJ's SJ Cherokee's, the XJ's and those damn sturdy little inline 6's)

That Said ,Anyone who has even the slightest interest in owning one, should march right out and get themselves a Jeep J8,CJ,YJ,TJ,LJ,JK

Sincerely, You haven't lived until you've owned a Jeep at least Once in your life There's just nothing quite like running all over creation in a sturdy little Jeep with the Top down/off (half naked, all goosebumps and the sun warming you to the bone)

We currently have several JK's/Unlimiteds in different Models / trims, the ONLY thing that would concern me about those Hot little Saharas is scraping the paint off the sexy painted fenders while Offroading. Somehow the gouges and cracks in the black plastic on the rubicons and x doesn't seem to elicit the same cringe factor for me.

Listen... take your time, read up, visualize your choices & don't forget to toss in a grain of salt to anything you read

I have it on good authority that You only Live Once, and before you know it you're closer to the end of the ride than the beginning

You go get that damn Wrangler you've always wanted Panther

Last edited by Snowcat; 08-06-2011 at 02:29 AM.
Old 08-06-2011, 02:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

All I can say is JEEP Just Enjoy Everyones Pictures...woohoo
Old 08-06-2011, 03:40 AM
JK Super Freak

I don't own a Wrangler.

Hello and welcome! As the OP let me start by saying I actually LIKE the Sahara. In one of my earlier posts in this thread I mentioned that a Sahara is THE replacement vehicle for my wife when her Commander croaks one day. I have nothing against it. I love all JK's and cool people in general.

And if you dive into the responses, everyone who wrote in is Against discrimination against JK's and people in general. So if you're wary of a bad crowd, Jeepers are the least of your worries. You're more likely to find people who will tow fellow Jeeps out of ditches or help you get out of a high-center situation than probably anywhere else.

There will always be some head butting in any family, even this one. Comparisons and arguments are also human nature. You can expect that anywhere.

Anyway don't let this thread (which turned out to be a silly family argument amongst us almost for fun) deter you from the best vehicle you will ever owe. The JK is an absolute winner.
Old 08-06-2011, 04:39 AM
JK Enthusiast

What he said Haha... I have a basically stock sport and love the crap out of it. I know some look down on me for not having it modded but my money has other destinations right now. As silly as some of this is overall this is the most amazing group you will find on net. About two months ago a guy broke down wheeling posted and within an hour people had spare parts and beer on sight. Also we can be snobs to non wranglers but that is because a wrangler of any style gives you a feeling unlike anything else. I don't consider myself a snob but I just love my wrangler and when someone says "oh I used to have a jeep" and you find out it was a non wrangler you go from having a bond to being annoyed. Just get what you want and enjoy
Old 08-06-2011, 06:17 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't own a Wrangler.
Welcome to the forum.

If you read every post, you can probably see the trend indicating most of the adults on here do not really care what model people buy, or how they use their JK. They do not take the thread subject seriously, because it is ridiculous.

Threads like these may be called "troll" threads because they are trolling for controversy and argument. Many (including me unfortunatly) cannot resist feeding them sometimes. I am trying hard to cure myself of that. They serve no purpose beyond mild entertainment, and filling space.

But, I would like to say that (IMO) basing the decision to buy a JK or not on a silly troll thread is probably not a good idea. There are many actual valid reasons to buy or not buy a JK, of any model, as you have outlined.
Old 08-06-2011, 06:47 AM
JK Super Freak

Location: Simi Valley, Ca., Taylorsville, Ut. and places in between
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't own a Wrangler.

Don't let a few assholes on here deter you from what you want. People say whatever they want over the Internet but they'd never say it to someones face. Good first post btw.

Both replies are well said
Wish I thought of them.
Old 08-06-2011, 07:20 AM
JK Newbie

My first Jeep was a TJ Sahara and I would have to admit that it was a mall crawler. I was damn proud of it 8 years ago. Most saharas you see these days are mall crawlers except the five percent of the sahara owners on this sight who offroad. I wouldn't consider them mall crawlers. They are hardcore offroaders. They drink PBR by the keg, watch Nascar 24/7, wear wife beaters, drive over mountains, and lose sleep over this thread. ROAR!!!!
Old 08-06-2011, 07:24 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm on my way to the mall. Hope I don't get spotted.

Sent from my HTC Evo on the Sprint Network

Quick Reply: Saharas = Mall Crawlers?