Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

sahara fenders on rubicon

Old 05-04-2007, 07:13 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Rubicon and sahara fenders are the same size and are interchangeable. The Rubicon fenders CAN be painted but I do not suggest it. You are better off buying Sahara fender and have them painted to match.

In regards to which is better? I have a different opinion. The Rubicon and the X fenders are a black textured finish. They certainly handle scrapes and bruises better but over time that texture looks like crap from all the scraches. My Sahara fenders have gotten scraped. Most of the scrapes polish out. Eventually I will need to repaint them but that is less than new fenders.
By the way I work in the collison industry so when I do repaint them It's FREE..

Ok so now all you x and Rubicon owners let me have it.
Old 05-04-2007, 07:22 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by CLACKEY573
The Rubicon and sahara fenders are the same size and are interchangeable. The Rubicon fenders CAN be painted but I do not suggest it. You are better off buying Sahara fender and have them painted to match.

In regards to which is better? I have a different opinion. The Rubicon and the X fenders are a black textured finish. They certainly handle scrapes and bruises better but over time that texture looks like crap from all the scraches. My Sahara fenders have gotten scraped. Most of the scrapes polish out. Eventually I will need to repaint them but that is less than new fenders.
By the way I work in the collison industry so when I do repaint them It's FREE..

Ok so now all you x and Rubicon owners let me have it.
:toung: :toung: :toung: :toung: :toung: .............
Old 05-04-2007, 07:27 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by HappyCurmudgeon
I love my painted flares. I have them scratched up nicely so they blend with the interior. I have bent the crap out of them, they pop back just the same, no paint cracks (yet) i am sure they are coming, but so?...No rueing involved.
LOL! I guess I assume that people who want Sahara fenders want pretty paint--my bad! Yes, you are right--the black fenders scratch up almost as fast as the dash! And, actually, you give me a great idea--at least with the smooth-surfaced Sahara fenders, you can repaint whenever necessary! Hmmmmm....How would a red Jeep look with smooth Sahara fenders spray painted flat black, so that you could retouch as necessary?
Old 05-04-2007, 07:30 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Jeep School
LOL! I guess I assume that people who want Sahara fenders want pretty paint--my bad! Yes, you are right--the black fenders scratch up almost as fast as the dash! And, actually, you give me a great idea--at least with the smooth-surfaced Sahara fenders, you can repaint whenever necessary! Hmmmmm....How would a red Jeep look with smooth Sahara fenders spray painted flat black, so that you could retouch as necessary?
Good plan.
Old 05-04-2007, 07:31 AM
JK Newbie

I called the parts department at a local dealer and they wanted right at $1000 for the fenders, not figuring pant. I'd say that would run a couple hundred more!
Old 05-04-2007, 07:37 AM
JK Super Freak

Spray paint them black? Maybe when they get scratched up enough no need to waste the paint and effort now.
Old 05-04-2007, 07:37 AM
Eternal ***erator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That is exactly what i plan on doing to mine. Eventually. I will keep them as good as possible for a while, when they get to banged up, i fully intend on just taping them off and painting them balck. I would do silver, but it would be expensive to match. Whereas black spraypaint is available just about anywhere, and a can or 2 is all you would need to make them all match.
Old 05-04-2007, 07:57 AM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mrwhite1
I called the parts department at a local dealer and they wanted right at $1000 for the fenders, not figuring pant. I'd say that would run a couple hundred more!

Rubicon and X front fenders are $65.10 each
Rubicon and X rear fenders are $56.85 each

Sahara front $140 and they need to be painted
Sahara rear $128 and they need to be painted.

Your dealer is ripping you off!

I might add. in mY experience so far the fenders get torn off before they get any significant damage.
Old 05-04-2007, 08:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by rupedog
:toung: :toung: :toung: :toung: :toung: .............
Plus, you can't get the Flame Red in the Sahara.
Old 05-04-2007, 09:02 AM
JK Junkie

DC's reasoning behind painted fenders.....
X--------------base model, enough said
Sahara-------lux model, less likely to go offroad, hence the painted fenders
Rubicon------except for the yuppies that purchase as a status symbol, it's going off road, hence back to unpainted fenders to reduce scratches.......right or wrong.

CLACKEY and Bonedigger's Sahara's look awesome. I really like the painted fenders, they just look more finished , and I had the same thought's about putting Sahara's on my Rubicon, but it's black so it's not as noticable.

HMMMMM.........what about buying Sahara fenders Rhino lined, Line-x'd or eqv.? I wonder if that's possible or how they'd hold up?

Last edited by BLKRUBI; 05-04-2007 at 09:04 AM.

Quick Reply: sahara fenders on rubicon