Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Safety concern..... I hope

Old 04-18-2012, 04:47 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IMHO If the wear bar is close then they should be replaced. If you do it prior to that and the tires still have lots of tread left, you can likely sell them and offset your new tires a fair bit. If you take that route it might be better doing it now then later..

On the other note, im 31, lived on my own for +10 years in a different city then my pops, pay my own rent, paid for my own jeep.... I still get approval from my pops before major purchases- keeps me grounded from blowing my money on the "bigger and better".. He mind you respects my passion and just tries to offer logical advice and will look up prices for/with me..
Old 04-18-2012, 08:41 AM
JK Super Freak

With 34K on them, I would be looking at replacing them soon. Personally, I don't like to let my tires wear down to the wear bars, especially mud tires. I sold my previous JKU with about 30K on the stock BFG MT's. If I had kept the Jeep, I would have been looking for new tires soon. Sure, lots of people get 50K out of those tires, but I once made a regular stop in the rain with pretty worn mud tires, only to find that I couldn't stop. I slid about 100 feet, which was completely through the intersection. Luckily no one was in front of me. Since that incident, I don't let my tires wear down that much, and in that case, I wasn't even at the wear indicators yet.
Old 04-18-2012, 08:44 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Massive burn outs everyday
Old 04-19-2012, 08:21 AM
JK Freak

thanks everyone for answering.... it took a little convincing, but they new rubbers are ordered and according to tirerack, ship tomorrow! new GoodYear MT/R w/Kevlar --- 35x12.50 R15.... pretty pumped
Old 04-19-2012, 08:38 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 172 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by mattyhfd
thanks everyone for answering.... it took a little convincing, but they new rubbers are ordered and according to tirerack, ship tomorrow! new GoodYear MT/R w/Kevlar --- 35x12.50 R15.... pretty pumped
Pictures when done?
Old 04-19-2012, 10:02 AM
JK Freak

you got it!

Quick Reply: Safety concern..... I hope