Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Safety concern..... I hope

Old 04-16-2012, 08:47 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mattyhfd
the reason my dad doesnt want me buying new tires is that he hates my jeep,
haha my dad hates mine also!!!
Old 04-16-2012, 10:35 AM
JK Freak

im not sure how i sound like a spoiled high school student. my question simply asked at what point are mud terrain tires worn to the point where they are unsafe.... the reason my dad doesnt want me buying new tires is that he hates my jeep, because as you "mature adult hobbyists" know , modded jeeps are money pits. if u must know im 21, work 3 jobs which leaves me with more then enough $$, and i attend college full time. i havent ordered my tires because i avoid a conflict with my dad, i think my reasoning is mature enouigh. So ill ask again, what is the point at which MTs become worn to the point where they are unsafe? they have 34k on them and when you hold a dime up to the tread, 2/3s of it shows.....
You could power brake the tread off or pay your friend 20 bucks to slash your tires..depends on how shady you wanna go. I'm guessing the old man won't get the tires until they look like NASCAR tires and you will waste your breath argueing about penny's or dimes worth of tread.
Old 04-16-2012, 10:45 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There are wear indicators in every tire. They look like a little bridge in betwee the lugs/knobs of the tire. When said lugs/knobs are level with these bridges, it is now unsafe. Every tire manufaturer has different specs based on the rubber compounds they use, so going by a coin is never a good method. If all else fails you could always get your dad to buy a jeep and that might make him come around. Until then it sounds like your dad is the economical sort and will not support you buying anything that is "not necessary". My dad was the same way, He bought his Wrangler 3 months ago.
Old 04-16-2012, 10:52 AM
JK Super Freak

My rubi tires are probably worn about like yours are. The main reason I am going to replace them soon is not because they are unsafe, but for better traction and to smooth out the ride. Those thick blocks of rubber really do make a difference on how harsh the bumps feel, IMO. Replacing them will make it easier on the suspension.

If you are still living at home, and/or your pops is paying for some or all of your college, I can understand why you may have to just be patient and live with what you got.

While delivering a harsher ride and less traction, those mudders are probably not yet unsafe. Although if they are down to the wear bar indicators, replace them.

Last edited by Yankee; 04-16-2012 at 11:11 AM.
Old 04-17-2012, 02:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

tie off to a tree or other secure structure
burn out, until the desired level of unsafe tire tread has been achieved
Old 04-17-2012, 05:28 PM
JK Freak

I would replace at that point because they are worn to the point that they WILL hydroplane on a wet road. I would definitely replace before winter.
Old 04-17-2012, 06:05 PM
JK Freak

Buy a tread depth measurement tool to measure them. Check out your states requirements for minimal tire wear to be legal. If its at that point, then it's a no brainer. GA is 2/32nds, if I remember correctly.
Old 04-17-2012, 06:31 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

im not sure how i sound like a spoiled high school student. my question simply asked at what point are mud terrain tires worn to the point where they are unsafe.... the reason my dad doesnt want me buying new tires is that he hates my jeep, because as you "mature adult hobbyists" know , modded jeeps are money pits. if u must know im 21, work 3 jobs which leaves me with more then enough $$, and i attend college full time. i havent ordered my tires because i avoid a conflict with my dad, i think my reasoning is mature enouigh. So ill ask again, what is the point at which MTs become worn to the point where they are unsafe? they have 34k on them and when you hold a dime up to the tread, 2/3s of it shows.....
Umm, do you live at home? Does Dad pay for your college? If not get the tires, worn out or not.
Old 04-18-2012, 03:40 AM
JK Super Freak

I was checking out the tread wear indicators on my Rubi tires. A person would have to run them almost bald to wear the tire down to them from what I could see.
Old 04-18-2012, 03:57 AM
JK Super Freak

they will look bald when they reach the tread wear indicators using your dime you probably have about 3/32 left . good for you working and going to school my son is your age and does the same . he lives at home and works full time and goes to school . your dad is just doing what dads do , im sure he realizes things are tough for you right now with all those irons in the fire and probably would rather you save until you absolutly need new tires . my advice is to be greatful that he cares ( many dont) and wait . those tires will be that much sweeter when you do get them . im in the same boat my wife wants me to wait a month before i upgrade to 35s and new wheels as i just got new tires last year . i feel your pain brother. and remember it wont be long before you can do what you want , when you want . and guess what . your old man will still give you advice lol

Quick Reply: Safety concern..... I hope