Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Safety concern..... I hope

Old 04-14-2012, 02:47 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Safety concern..... I hope

this may sound weird, but my dad wont let me order bigger tires till my current tires are "unsafe". at what point do MTs NOT have enough tread on them? currently the tread on my tires are only enough to cover about 1/3 of a dime..... i dont think thats enough... i hope
Old 04-14-2012, 02:51 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 172 Likes on 147 Posts

Would the 1/3 of a dime be enough tread if you didn't want bigger tires?

Look for wear bars in the tire treads. They usually indicate the tread has worn down to 1/16".

Last edited by ronjenx; 04-14-2012 at 02:54 PM.
Old 04-14-2012, 03:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Cut the sidewall on one. Instead of getting one new one get 4.
Old 04-14-2012, 03:10 PM
JK Freak

I have the money for 35x12.50 r17 Goodyear MTRs. Pops won't let me get em because I don't "need" them. Currently I have rubi rims and tires.
Old 04-14-2012, 06:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mattyhfd
I have the money for 35x12.50 r17 Goodyear MTRs. Pops won't let me get em because I don't "need" them. Currently I have rubi rims and tires.
Good for your pops. Now wait until you have twice the $$$ for the tires, save 1/2 and spend the rest on your tires.
Old 04-15-2012, 09:46 PM
JK Newbie

Move out and buy TSL Boggers tomorrow if you want.
Old 04-16-2012, 06:41 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

on a positive note, it is good that you are respecting the wishes of your parents... how old are you? why do you "need" to replace your rubi tires?

you are walking a slim line between being a jeep guy that always wants bigger and better things and sounding like spoiled high school kid. if you had the cash to buy/finance your jeep, then you must be doing something right. buy your tires... hopefully the money spent on tires wouldn't be better spent on books for college/etc. if your tires have some life left in them, you could probably sell them on craig;s list to offset the cost of the tires.

i am sure that your father has his reasons to want you to wait to spend $1,xxx on tires. that is ALOT of money to spend if you do not need to. if you need to ask permission for making big purchases, then maybe you are not ready for adult hobbies.
Old 04-16-2012, 07:04 AM
JK Freak

im not sure how i sound like a spoiled high school student. my question simply asked at what point are mud terrain tires worn to the point where they are unsafe.... the reason my dad doesnt want me buying new tires is that he hates my jeep, because as you "mature adult hobbyists" know , modded jeeps are money pits. if u must know im 21, work 3 jobs which leaves me with more then enough $$, and i attend college full time. i havent ordered my tires because i avoid a conflict with my dad, i think my reasoning is mature enouigh. So ill ask again, what is the point at which MTs become worn to the point where they are unsafe? they have 34k on them and when you hold a dime up to the tread, 2/3s of it shows.....
Old 04-16-2012, 07:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

Best bet is go to a tire place that offers free tire evaluations. I think most Discount Tire places do. I never did understand the coin measurement myself. One person says use a dime another a penny. Plus most newer tired have multiple levels in the ridged. Best bet if in doubt check with a tire center.
Old 04-16-2012, 07:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

You're 21 years old. Buy your tires and gently remind your father that you are your own man and no longer a child. Thank him for taking the time to advise you, and briefly explain your reasons for doing it. He will likely not agree with them, but it's a curtesy. Just don't let it turn into an argument and don't go in attempting to sway him.

If this causes a monetary issue later, be prepared for a well deserved "I told you so", but go for it.

I am 26 and recently got my Jeep brand new. Went off roading with my GF and showed up to dinner with mud on it... My father went on a lecture about how I should be treating my new vehicle, and the mud will scratch the paint, and off roading will bend the frame, and everything will end up squeaking and rattling and not fitting properly, and etc etc on and on.

I don't hold it against him, as I realize he is simply trying to give what advice he thinks is best, and is frustrated that I "ignore" it. I appreciate the fact he cares enough to dispense his opinion on my behalf.

Unfortunately some people will never understand.

Quick Reply: Safety concern..... I hope