Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Rubicon and water

Old 08-03-2012, 09:55 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rubicon and water

So i have a new 2011 rubicon And im not sure how much water can it handle, i mean, no roof at all and leave it parked outside should i worry about the rain?? Or not at all? It has gps and alll the features
Old 08-03-2012, 09:57 AM
JK Freak

I wouldn't be too worried until water get into the inner workings of the head unit. Mico fiber towel over the face might help too.
Old 08-03-2012, 09:59 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Cover the steering wheel with a plastic bag too. i heard if water gets in there it can cause some problems (believe its with the clockspring)
Old 08-03-2012, 10:42 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Correct me if I am wrong as I've heard this a few times on various boards ... but there is nothing extra in the dash of a Jeep that makes it handle water any better then the next truck/car beside it. Ya it has drain plugs to help drain water if you wash out the floor boards with a hose but water coming from the top and hitting the dash/electrics has no protection, just normal wire connections as found in other vehicles. Just passing on what I've read numerous times, can't say its true or not.

That said ... I haven't been caught in the rain with my JK yet but more times then I can count on the TJ. The most common problem that I've read about (TJ & JK) is always due to the clockspring getting wet and damaged. As the previous posted mentioned, it's located in the steering column so if your leaving your Jeep out in the rain, personally I would at least throw a bag over the steering column to prevent that from getting wet.
Old 08-03-2012, 10:52 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I wouldn't let any part of the dash, steering wheel, front seats, or speaker bar get wet. They all have mass amounts of wiring, switches, and computer network interfaces. But then I'm a retired electrician and computer technician who has seen Murphy's law in action for too many years.

Its a real shame Jeep decided the JK should be a rolling computer network. Its just so wrong!
Old 08-03-2012, 11:15 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Freewill

Its a real shame Jeep decided the JK should be a rolling computer network. Its just so wrong!
Dont blame jeep, blame the "wont someone think of the children!!!" people that force the government to force more and more safety features into cars to be able to be sold.

What we need is a plastic cover that could go over the dash for when you park your jeep.
Old 08-03-2012, 12:18 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Noxian
What we need is a plastic cover that could go over the dash for when you park your jeep.
HHHMMMM....... that's a good idea! something with no creases and something that can funnel the water to the floor instead of the sides.
Old 08-03-2012, 12:31 PM
JK Newbie

A little over a month ago mine was left outside at home while I was at work with the top down and we had a major T-Storm, filled the floor boards until it was overflowing. By the time I got home a few hours later the only problem I had was very wet seats and carpet. Everything worked just fine and I even have an aftermarket NAV/Stereo in it. I have also soaked the dash with the hose while washing it with the top down and had no ill affects to date.
Old 08-03-2012, 07:07 PM
Super Moderator

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts

I just keep my freedom panels in. Protects the electronics and comes off easily
Old 08-04-2012, 08:56 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks everyone! I got a cover so its all good! Im not sure how to post a pic but i try lol! New in forums lol

Quick Reply: Rubicon and water