Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.
View Poll Results: Rubi VS X
Rubicon Unlimited
68.00%
X Unlimited
32.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Rubicon vs X help me decide

Old 12-23-2008, 01:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rubicon or X??

I recently traded an "X" for a Rubicon and greatly regret it, the "X" took me every place I ever wanted to go and it was alot cheaper.
Old 12-23-2008, 01:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by grayghost
I recently traded an "X" for a Rubicon and greatly regret it, the "X" took me every place I ever wanted to go and it was alot cheaper.
You didn't know this before you traded?
Old 12-23-2008, 02:00 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Doc307,

By your post count, you have been around long enough to know the plus + and -'s of the Rubicon or X models.

I have got the Sahara model, if I would replace it tomorrow I would go RUBICON all the way. The Dana44 and 4:1 transfer case would be the bigest selling point. Pluss don't forget about the Lockers.
Old 12-23-2008, 02:04 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by boots
Doc307,

By your post count, you have been around long enough to know the plus + and -'s of the Rubicon or X models.

I have got the Sahara model, if I would replace it tomorrow I would go RUBICON all the way. The Dana44 and 4:1 transfer case would be the bigest selling point. Pluss don't forget about the Lockers.

I know the only real (-) of the rubi is the extra $$. Just trying to talk myself or get others to talk me into spending it. I know you can build a X cheaper but I don't really want to get into adding lockers & gears. The rubi will also have a higher re-sell value down the road.
Old 12-23-2008, 02:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

I posted this in another thread on this board. When I was shopping for a JK, this was the price diff...

If you spec out an X with as much of the Rubi equipment as you can, you end up with a difference of right at $3000. For this you get 4.10 gears, D44 front, 4:1 t-case, sliders, and the BFG tires.
Old 12-23-2008, 02:27 PM
JK Super Freak

go rubi, you cant go wrong. might as well go for the best if you can.
Old 12-23-2008, 02:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

iw as in your boat i had an 07 sahara and i loved it but after a few excusions i traded it for a rubicon and i couldnt behappier there is somthign to be said about sittign in your jeep while everyone else is outside with a mallet disco'ing. Plus the front and rear lockers is all you need. You can scrape down the price by doing certaint hings. I didnt want power windows i didnt get the super awesome 6 disc changer (did get teh 6 speaker system though) and of youknow your getting new tires tell them you dont want the 32's and order it with saraha wheels or somthing. If youc an wait you can save money by orderign it.
Old 12-23-2008, 02:42 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Buy a X with the rear locker package. You can buy a Rubi t-case for $600+. Drop shafts/ARB in the front D30 or buy a Rubi front axle. With the extra cash build up the suspension/tires/bumpers/etc. Feel free to call me on this. I started off with a X and built it up. I'm not knocking Rubicons, still need a Rubi t-case in mine.and a JK CRD60 and a HEMI and lights and .........................
Old 12-23-2008, 02:42 PM
Former Vendor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by doc307
I know the only real (-) of the rubi is the extra $$. Just trying to talk myself or get others to talk me into spending it. I know you can build a X cheaper but I don't really want to get into adding lockers & gears. The rubi will also have a higher re-sell value down the road.
I think you pretty much have it figured out. And to clarify you can build-up an X cheaper depending on what you need to build up and that you'll be doing a good deal of the work yourself. Add labor prices in there and forget it.
Old 12-23-2008, 02:51 PM
gpb
JK Enthusiast

Newbie talking, but two thoughts:

It seems should something happen to your Jeep, you might have an easier time of recovering what you have into it if a lot of the stuff came stock. So if you'd be essentially building an X into a Rubicon, might be better to just start with it from the factory most of the way there.

Other thought is that by buying a Rubicon you might be able to finance the difference for a lesser rate than if you buy an X and have to use other means to come up with the cash for the upgrades.

Quick Reply: Rubicon vs X help me decide