Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Rubicon Versus Sahara As A Daily Driver?

Old 07-22-2008, 12:32 PM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pastorsteve
Well the top of the line is the Sahara. The Rubi has more off-road items but it's not the top of the line. I bought the Sahara loaded so it has the rear-locker, sway disconnect, heavy duty suspension/tow pgk, better gearing than stock, and it cost about 5K less than a similarly equipped Rubi.

But it all depends on what you want. I think the Rubi has the same suspension as my Sahara and it rides fine for a daily driver.
Ummmm. Not to get you mad, and I have a Sahara and love it. But the Rubicon is the top of line of the Jeeps, The Sahara is more of a Luxury Jeep with the painted fenders and some other stuff. I had to please the wife so I got the painted fenders. Now I feel mine will go just as many places as a Rubicon and More than a lot of Rubicons because mine does go off road. But
the Sahara does not come or is offered with a rear locker (LSD is an Option, but no Locker) no sway bar disconect (But I have my TeraFlex Disco's) and the gearing is only 3.73 (I have 5.13 in my sahara) Rubicon is 4.10's, made for the offroad and little bigger tires. So yes if your going to keep it on the street the sahara has better gearing, if your to take it off road then the Rubicon has better gearing. I also thought the suspension was too soft in the Sahara so Fox shocks and Teraflex took care of that...........

Last edited by SGT.; 07-22-2008 at 12:42 PM.
Old 07-22-2008, 12:46 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by RuBob
is it the body-colored flares or the street tires that make it top of the line?
Well I'm not totally keen on the painted flares, and the tires are not base tires.....so it must be the experienced driver. And a Jeep that actually sees off-road at 13,000 plus feet.
Old 07-22-2008, 12:51 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by SGT. EVIL
Ummmm. Not to get you mad, and I have a Sahara and love it. ...........
No worries. You won't get me mad......... unless you forget my birthday.
Old 07-22-2008, 12:56 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by pastorsteve
No worries. You won't get me mad......... unless you forget my birthday.
Thanks....

Oh and Ill try not to but.... ummmmm what was I supposed to remember again...
Old 07-22-2008, 06:28 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by deadspot

(i know my reply goes against the recent thread about pointless replies... but you've got to love these debates... )
pointless replys are an art form, not everyone is qualified to participate in their proper placement.

Old 07-23-2008, 05:01 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by hickory_cocaine_55
Hello Everybody,

I have been looking at Wrangler Unlimiteds and could sure use some advice from those of you who are current Jeep owners (or have owned in the past). I live in Houston, TX and will be doing 90% city - stop and go - driving to work during rush hour - driving. The other 10% of the time I will be at my deer camp in Central, TX where I will be driving on a gravel road that is most of the year very dry; but occasionally 4 wheel drive could be needed. No major rocks, boulders, etc that I will be climbing. Just you typical gravel road - farm / deer camp driving.

All this being said I know the Sahara is probably all I need - for the type of driving I will be doing; but my question is this: If I buy a Rubicon Unlimited are there any reasons why I couldn't use it as my everyday vehicle? Aside from it being noiser and a little more bumpy than the Sahara (because of the tires) - what are some other draw backs that I might not be considering?

I am stuck on this idea that if I am going to get a Jeep - then I want the Rubicon because its top of the line as far as Wrangler Unlimiteds go. Even if I am not going to be doing any extreme off roading and primarily city driving - I still want the Rubicon because I know I would be getting top of line. Am I crazy to do such a thing? Is it crazy to drive a Rubicon everyday as your vehicle if you live in a city as large and bad with traffic as Houston?

Please let me know your thoughts. I greatly appreciate your help!

-Corey
I got a Rubicon 2dr and couldn't be happier with it a daily driver. If you ever wanna get nuts and go out Moab or something like that, the lockers are the way to go with the Rubicon. The tires, shocks and suspension are more aggressive too. All depends of what YOU want, but I vote Rubicon
Old 07-23-2008, 06:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

We have 2 Sahara's. The Sahara is the Luxury model and as such is the best for use primarily as a DD. Lockers or not, it tackled medium trails and rocks with no issues in its stock form. Clearance is the same as a Rubi due to the stock 32" tires that come on it. Now if you decide to do a 2.5 BB and 33's you have an extremely capable unit. Lockers and quick disconnects are for expert or extreme trails.
I think you would be happier with a Sahara as your daily driver. Either way, good luck and don't forget to wave!!!!!
Old 07-23-2008, 10:50 AM
JK Freak

Look, I wanted an X with hard top and power package and auto came out to 28k. I ended buying an auto Rubi fully loaded withou soft top and hitch for 30350. Invest a little more now, you'll get the same gas mileage, will be able to go offroading, and will get more for your jeep if you ever have to sell it. Just my $0.02.
BTW the Rubi does ride smoother than the X.
Old 07-23-2008, 10:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

I personally think the Sahara is the Top of Line for luxury and the Rubicon is top of the line for Off roading...just as mentioned above.

But for what you are going to do? I think the Sahara will do everything and anything you need from it. Especially for the intent of what you plan on doing. Sure its cool to say "Yeah I got a Rubicon"...but when they follow it up with "Do you do anything like muddnig or rock crawling?" and you say "I take it to my deer camp." Well it kinda defeats the purpose....

Thats the LOGICAL answer.

The ILLOGICAL answer is: Get the Rubi, just because its badazz
Old 07-23-2008, 12:32 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I waited until I could get a Rubi, and would do it again. The Rubi's may not be more luxurious, but if you plan on using any of the features they are worth it.

Quick Reply: Rubicon Versus Sahara As A Daily Driver?