Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Rubicon Versus Sahara As A Daily Driver?

Old 07-22-2008, 06:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I went with the Sahara since I knew I would drive it a bit more on road than off. Try to isolate what the most important features are to you and then decide. I knew that the Sahara would be all I need since my offroad journeys lead to activities rather than the offroading being the main attraction. If you are going offroading for the pure joy of wheeling, def go with the Rubicon, but if offroading is just incidental, the Sahara should work for you. Good luck with your decision. I can remember taking a long time deciding as well.
Old 07-22-2008, 06:32 AM
JK Super Freak

You know you want the Rubi, get it!
Old 07-22-2008, 06:43 AM
JK Junkie

I love my sahara and wheel it too. It has gone through a ot of changes, but I dont regreat not getting a rubicon. IF its a DD Sahara is good.
Old 07-22-2008, 06:54 AM
JK Freak

I f you can afford it I vote Rubicon. I can't say I have seen to many people post that they bought a Rubicon and wished they had bought something else. But If you get Sahara or X they are all great vehicles.
Have a great day, Grizz

Love my Rubicon
Old 07-22-2008, 07:07 AM
JK Junkie

Buying a Rubi if you don't need it is doing one of 2 things, feeding your ego or spending more than you need to. The Sahara is a more than capable vehicle for your needs and will provide a better ride and fuel economy.

Worst case scenerio, 7 years down the road you decide to use it for trail use then you can take the 7k you saved and has now earned you another 1000 and mod it up.

Just my opinion of course.....
Old 07-22-2008, 08:48 AM
JK Super Freak

Well the top of the line is the Sahara. The Rubi has more off-road items but it's not the top of the line. I bought the Sahara loaded so it has the rear-locker, sway disconnect, heavy duty suspension/tow pgk, better gearing than stock, and it cost about 5K less than a similarly equipped Rubi.

But it all depends on what you want. I think the Rubi has the same suspension as my Sahara and it rides fine for a daily driver.
Old 07-22-2008, 10:11 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by pastorsteve
Well the top of the line is the Sahara. The Rubi has more off-road items but it's not the top of the line. I bought the Sahara loaded so it has the rear-locker, sway disconnect, heavy duty suspension/tow pgk, better gearing than stock, and it cost about 5K less than a similarly equipped Rubi.

But it all depends on what you want. I think the Rubi has the same suspension as my Sahara and it rides fine for a daily driver.
Sorry pastor, but you're out to pasture on this one. The Rubicon is the king of the hill, not the Sahara. Plus, last time I checked, the rear-locker and sway disconnect were not available options on the Sahara, you get them either standard on the Rubi, or options on the X.
Old 07-22-2008, 12:12 PM
JK Super Freak

Well unless you were there when I picked mine up.......... they came on the Sahara. And according to Jeep the Sahara is the "top of the line" not the most expensive. Sorry.
Old 07-22-2008, 12:18 PM
JK Freak

(i know my reply goes against the recent thread about pointless replies... but you've got to love these debates... )
Old 07-22-2008, 12:31 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by hickory_cocaine_55

I still want the Rubicon because I know I would be getting top of line. Am I crazy to do such a thing? Is it crazy to drive a Rubicon everyday as your vehicle if you live in a city as large and bad with traffic as Houston?

Please let me know your thoughts. I greatly appreciate your help!

-Corey

It's not crazy to want "top of the line", but the Rubicon is only top of the line if you are comparing stock X, Sahara and Rubicon OFFROAD! It sounds like you will never use any of the things that make the Rubicon more expensive? It looks the same (OK you get MT vs AT) and drives essentially the same on road. If you've got an extra few grand to spend then go for it. I've lived in Beaumont and Houston and I know that 4.10 vs 3.73 gears is not a big deal as flat as it is!

Now, if you see yourself getting more into off highway stuff(not always easy to predict before you own a JEEP) then the Rubicon could be a better choice. I still think you can take an X or Sahara and put about $2-3K into it and have something that will do >90% of anything you will ever want.

Quick Reply: Rubicon Versus Sahara As A Daily Driver?