Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Rubicon Versus Sahara As A Daily Driver?

Old 07-21-2008, 04:20 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Rubicon Versus Sahara As A Daily Driver?

Hello Everybody,

I have been looking at Wrangler Unlimiteds and could sure use some advice from those of you who are current Jeep owners (or have owned in the past). I live in Houston, TX and will be doing 90% city - stop and go - driving to work during rush hour - driving. The other 10% of the time I will be at my deer camp in Central, TX where I will be driving on a gravel road that is most of the year very dry; but occasionally 4 wheel drive could be needed. No major rocks, boulders, etc that I will be climbing. Just you typical gravel road - farm / deer camp driving.

All this being said I know the Sahara is probably all I need - for the type of driving I will be doing; but my question is this: If I buy a Rubicon Unlimited are there any reasons why I couldn't use it as my everyday vehicle? Aside from it being noiser and a little more bumpy than the Sahara (because of the tires) - what are some other draw backs that I might not be considering?

I am stuck on this idea that if I am going to get a Jeep - then I want the Rubicon because its top of the line as far as Wrangler Unlimiteds go. Even if I am not going to be doing any extreme off roading and primarily city driving - I still want the Rubicon because I know I would be getting top of line. Am I crazy to do such a thing? Is it crazy to drive a Rubicon everyday as your vehicle if you live in a city as large and bad with traffic as Houston?

Please let me know your thoughts. I greatly appreciate your help!

-Corey
Old 07-21-2008, 04:31 PM
JK Freak

if you've got the extra cash, do the rubicon, i would...or mod the hell out of an X
Old 07-21-2008, 04:59 PM
JK Newbie

Go with the Rubicon. It's heavier duty, you get 4.1:1 gearing, 4:1 low, front and rear lockers, elec. disconnect, and for the ride, I drive my 2dr Rubi to work every day ... it rides great. I bought an 07 2dr Sahara for me and an 07 4dr Sahara for my wife last year thinking that was all we need. Since then, I have traded my 07 2dr Sahara for an 08 2dr Rubicon and next spring, the wife wants to trade for an 09 4dr Rubicon. I may not be hitting the hard trails every day, but I love knowing I can. Look out Colorado, here I come! If a Rubicon is in the back of your mind, you will wish you bought one to start with. That's my
Old 07-21-2008, 05:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

I would go cheaper. Stay with the Sahara. Buy as much interior and mechanical upgrades as possible and then spend the next couple years of upgrading things yourself. That way you can personalize it yourself.
Old 07-21-2008, 05:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

The sahara has the 3.73 axle ratio and the rubi the 4.10, so I believe that the rubi will provide better acceleration, but I drove both and went with the sahara. I did not really notice increased noise or bumps, but I was probably just happy the wife said get one.
Old 07-21-2008, 06:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Unless you go wheeling a lot or have the extra$ to dump on something that you will never push to potential I would stick with the Sahara. I bought mine to see pavement 85% of the time and offroad the rest and its more than capable and morfe bells and whistles for everyday driving.
Old 07-21-2008, 10:37 PM
JK Super Freak

We use our Rubicon as a DD all the time. We love it. It is nice that whenever we see a side road and wonder where it goes we can find out and not worry. Yes, you can do the mods on a Sahara or X but you still have to pay for them too. However you can do them as you can afford them especially if you are handy in the garage. If you have the $$$ the Rubi comes ready for anything.

I also like driving around with the word "Rubicon" on the hood for everyone to see. It is an ego boost for me. How often in a lifetime can you feel proud because you have the best? Just MHO.
Old 07-22-2008, 05:10 AM
JK Freak

I have the Sahara as my DD. My wife has an X unlimited. We took the Goodyears SR-A's off her X and put the stock Rubi tires on her X and her gas mileage went down by about 2 mpg around town.

Just a thought.
Old 07-22-2008, 05:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

If you want more liveability around town go with the Sahara but if I was able to get a Rubi I dont think I would be able to pass it up so dont regret ur decision
Old 07-22-2008, 06:05 AM
HEK
JK Freak

I don't know but I have a Rubicon and love it as my daily driver, on the other hand my wife's boss bought a Sahara and wishes he had a Rubicon, I don't wish I had a Sahara....maybe because when I bought the Rubicon I didn't know that Saharas even existed....don't ask..... but I'm happy with my decision...

Quick Reply: Rubicon Versus Sahara As A Daily Driver?