Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Rubicon in a stock 2-dooor Rubicon?

Old 07-15-2008, 04:56 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ya you could make it, but this is VERY long trail. Make sure you know what you're getting into. My buddy did it in his crawler 2 years ago and told me Jeep was out there with a bunch of brand new Rubicons fresh off the line running the trail and that quite a few had some major body damage when done. It's definitely capable of making it w/o the damage with a good spotter and alot of patience
Old 07-15-2008, 07:35 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by pearl-drum-man
Yes it can, expect some damage/scraping to the underneath of the Jeep though. FYI even the Liberty and Commander have run it to earn their "Trail Rated" badges.

EDIT- Here's a clip from the press run with them in action:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=UUm3PmeUBN0

I could be wrong, but the "Trail Rated" badge really has nothing to do with te Rubicon Trial. I think it is only the veh branded "Rubicon" that have to do the trail.
Trail Rated
Old 07-15-2008, 04:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by dyolfknip
I could be wrong, but the "Trail Rated" badge really has nothing to do with te Rubicon Trial. I think it is only the veh branded "Rubicon" that have to do the trail.
Trail Rated
Wrong-o! Every jeep that has the "Trail Rated" badge means it has gone through the rubicon without a tow or winch. (has to be under its own power)

Just an FYI.
Old 07-15-2008, 04:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

So uh yea.... you can do it.
Old 07-15-2008, 05:49 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by AV9Inch
Wrong-o! Every jeep that has the "Trail Rated" badge means it has gone through the rubicon without a tow or winch. (has to be under its own power)

Just an FYI.
funny the link I provided doesnt say a thing about that, just that they do in fact "trail test" them.

"From the original Willys MB to the 2008 Liberty, the Jeep® brand has been the leader in 4x4 innovation and off-road capability for over 66 years. The proof is in our exclusive Trail Rated standard.

We test Jeep® 4x4s on the toughest trails in the world to prove one thing: They can take whatever you dish out. The Trail Rated® badge means that your Jeep 4x4 has been designed to perform in five categories of off-road conditions: traction, ground clearance, maneuverability, articulation, and water fording."

Like I said I could be wrong but I dont really see how the Rubicon Trail has anything to do with the trail rated badge.
As far as I can tell it only signifies that the vehicle has passed offroad testing by the Nevada Automotive Test Center (NATC) -- which evaluates vehicles for traction, ground clearance, offroad articulation and water fording.

Another Trail Rated Link - http://www.jeepfan.com/tech/trail-rated.php

But like I said, I could be wrong, I am fairly new to the whole "Jeep"world and have lots to learn. I do think my stocker would have some trouble doing the Rubicon Trail without lockers at best. With my winch maybe, but I havent been there, so dont know.

Cheers and regardless of how it earned the badge, happy wheeling.

Last edited by HappyCurmudgeon; 11-01-2008 at 05:45 AM. Reason: Removed hyperlink
Old 07-15-2008, 08:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

Trail Rated"; meaning that each Jeep model has mastered the grueling Rubicon Trail in stock trim before ever appearing on a showroom floor.

http://car-reviews.automobile.com/Je...ad-test/1413/3

The Trail Rated badge attests to the fact this Jeep could tackle the Rubicon Trail, undisputedly North America's toughest off-road test.

http://www.canadiandriver.com/articles/nm/08patriot.htm

...of an off-road package that carries the 'TrailRated" label (meaning it can do Moab and the Rubicon Trail).

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...n21279786/pg_3

I actually learned this back in the day working for a dealership. My manager told me they told them when Jeep pick up the owner and 5 of the managers, took them down to the rubicon and gave them all brand new TJ's to test on the trail! After wards there was a BBQ, camp fire, then Jeep dropped off a grand piano by helicopter and a musician who played it all night....

JEEPS ROCK!
Old 07-15-2008, 08:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

With good spotting and careful driving you'll be fine. However, I would definitely fit skid plates before you go.
Old 07-16-2008, 03:10 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by dyolfknip
funny the link I provided doesnt say a thing about that, just that they do in fact "trail test" them.

"From the original Willys MB to the 2008 Liberty, the Jeep® brand has been the leader in 4x4 innovation and off-road capability for over 66 years. The proof is in our exclusive Trail Rated standard.

We test Jeep® 4x4s on the toughest trails in the world to prove one thing: They can take whatever you dish out. The Trail Rated® badge means that your Jeep 4x4 has been designed to perform in five categories of off-road conditions: traction, ground clearance, maneuverability, articulation, and water fording."

Like I said I could be wrong but I dont really see how the Rubicon Trail has anything to do with the trail rated badge.
As far as I can tell it only signifies that the vehicle has passed offroad testing by the Nevada Automotive Test Center (NATC) -- which evaluates vehicles for traction, ground clearance, offroad articulation and water fording.

Another Trail Rated Link

But like I said, I could be wrong, I am fairly new to the whole "Jeep"world and have lots to learn. I do think my stocker would have some trouble doing the Rubicon Trail without lockers at best. With my winch maybe, but I havent been there, so dont know.

Cheers and regardless of how it earned the badge, happy wheeling.
Until recently, the Trail Rated badge meant that they ran it successfully on the Rubicon Trail (as I mentioned the Liberty and Commander both did this). I know Jeep does not neceassarily do this anymore, so the current link you have is up to date on how they "Trail Rate" them now. All I was pointing out was that if a stock Liberty and Commander can run the Rubicon (with signifcant body damage), certainly a JK Rubicon can.

Last edited by HappyCurmudgeon; 11-01-2008 at 05:45 AM. Reason: removed quoted hyperlink
Old 07-16-2008, 06:07 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Have you thaught about the TF 2.5BB 250.00 @ Northridge4x4.com and a skid row skid plate 280.00 @ quadratec.com ?
Old 07-18-2008, 01:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

You can do it easy. If you don't do it you'll regret it for the rest of your life. You might want to consider a budget boost and an evap relocation kit or skid. A guy at work was fortunate enough to be invited to "work" the Jeep press roll out of the new Wranglers in '06 at Rubicon Springs. He said they drove all over the place without much trouble. Good spotting is the key. Heck, Toyota drove a new Land Cruiser over the Rubicon, of course they had a film crew and a crew stacking rocks the whole way. Mark Smith runs a trail run thing over the trail and they use stock Rubicons.
Just a hint. Don't toss a steak wrapped in the styrofoam tray and cellophane package it came in into the cooler with ice and soda cans and beer and whatever and expect it to be edible when you get to camp.

Quick Reply: Rubicon in a stock 2-dooor Rubicon?