Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Rubicon is a rock crawling monster.

Old 06-04-2011, 02:50 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rubicon is a rock crawling monster.

Well I spotted a used Rubicon for sale today and drove it around a bit. First thing I noticed was with the 4.10 gears by the time I was doing 35 mph it was already in 5th gear and loving it. Pulled it over to an area where I could put it into 4lo and man 1st gear with that 4:1 xfer case is really low.

Always figured that would be quite a trail rig and now after driving one there is no doubt about it. I don't want to get rid of my modified X just to get a rubi, but if I can't swing a deal for this one I am going to get one for sure.

If you are on the fence about getting one then don't drive one because you will be having to let loose of some more money to get one for sure. There is that much difference between the X and the Rubi. I mean it is like they are totally different Jeeps. I guess the only way it would be a bad thing would be if you did lots of highway driving, might get less fuel mileage with the higher rpms.

Anyway if you like running trails then there is no doubt about it the Rubicon is the one to get. Crawling with it is no problem at all. You only need 1st gear in 4lo if you are going over extremely rough or supper steep climbs.

I like it a lot and can't wait to get one to keep my X company.
Old 06-04-2011, 03:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey man why don`t you just put a lil more money in ur rig? lower gears lockers and the rubi t-case if you want.. i would go atlas 2 but thats my personal choice... swap ur axels d44 or 60 and with all that its even going to be better than the rubi..

personnally i regret the choice i made buying the rubicon juste because the way i want to build it.. 37 or 40 inch tires, those stock rubicon axels wont hold..

just think about it cause i see you got good money spend in ur rig
Old 06-04-2011, 03:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

my 3.73's, non-rubicon transfer case, and soon-to-be sway bar quick disconnects on my X are plenty at the moment.

waiting for the 12's to hit the lots, gonna test drive the piss out of one and consider a trade.
Old 06-04-2011, 04:22 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by superjk10
hey man why don`t you just put a lil more money in ur rig? lower gears lockers and the rubi t-case if you want.. i would go atlas 2 but thats my personal choice... swap ur axels d44 or 60 and with all that its even going to be better than the rubi..

personnally i regret the choice i made buying the rubicon juste because the way i want to build it.. 37 or 40 inch tires, those stock rubicon axels wont hold..

just think about it cause i see you got good money spend in ur rig
Exactly why I am looking for a good used rubi. Want to get the prorock axles, the atlas or used 4:1 xfer case, and the 4bt cummins engine swap. My room mate already has trouble getting into my X so figure to leave the used rubi in stock trim for that reason. It will be my daily driver and if I feel like running a trail while I am out doing my errands it will be more than capable. That way I can save my X for the really tough trails and not use up the big offroad tires on daily driving. There are times just doing the errands for everyday items takes me over a hundred miles round trip and I try to work in a little trail run whenever I can get out to the ones that are open which might have to be done on one of those errand running days.

Just want to get a second vehicle and don't want a car. Can't do all the mods I want to do to this one until I get another one to use while work is being done. Love the way my little X runs the trails already, especially when someone says "your Jeep can't make that trail" and it ends up doing better than theirs.

Hope some of this makes sense.
Old 06-04-2011, 05:13 PM
JK Super Freak

Love my rubi. Dont plan on running more than 35s so the rubi fits me just fine. If I was going to build a monster It would be a stripped x and start from scratch.

Last edited by snowbilt; 06-05-2011 at 01:34 PM.
Old 06-05-2011, 12:45 PM
JK Super Freak

What he said^
Old 06-05-2011, 01:11 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by genesbro
...Anyway if you like running trails then there is no doubt about it the Rubicon is the one to get. Crawling with it is no problem at all. You only need 1st gear in 4lo if you are going over extremely rough or supper steep climbs...
Even more fun with 35s and 5.38s.

Quick Reply: Rubicon is a rock crawling monster.