Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Rubicon Express Vs. Teraflex

Old 10-01-2021, 09:41 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2.5" to 4 " lift advice

Originally Posted by TeraFlex
If you have any questions about TeraFlex products, give me a call.
My rig (07 Jeep JK) currently has a 2.5" RE lift and I'm wanting to go to a Teraflex 4" lift..
because I already have the TF front/ rear coil springs and I was already in need of shocks (front/ rear).
My question is what all will I be need'n to get..!?
Front/ rear driveshafts are also GTG..!
*This is my DD and would like to do trails in the future...I'm a disabled Army Vet and have trouble some times..!

Advice/ help would be VERY appreciated..!!!

Thanx in advance..! ✌

Last edited by Woody003; 10-01-2021 at 11:35 PM.
Old 10-02-2021, 05:23 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,936 Likes on 1,695 Posts

Originally Posted by Woody003
My rig (07 Jeep JK) currently has a 2.5" RE lift and I'm wanting to go to a Teraflex 4" lift..
because I already have the TF front/ rear coil springs and I was already in need of shocks (front/ rear).
My question is what all will I be need'n to get..!?
Front/ rear driveshafts are also GTG..!
*This is my DD and would like to do trails in the future...I'm a disabled Army Vet and have trouble some times..!
Realistically, raising your jeep to 4" from its current setup isn't going to make it any more trail worth than it already is. In fact, raising your center of gravity is only going to make it less stable on the pavement and in off-camber trail situations. You should lift to accommodate tires and unless you're rolling on 37s or larger 4" is really not necessary.

If you're dead set on it, you should consider a full set of control arms with that height, new driveshafts, longer brake lines, and then consider upgrading steering components along the way as well. You're likely looking at a drag link flip (high steer kit). I think it would be better to keep what you currently have and focus on upgrading a few steering things and maybe recovery items for the trails.
Old 10-02-2021, 11:10 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by resharp001
Realistically, raising your jeep to 4" from its current setup isn't going to make it any more trail worth than it already is. In fact, raising your center of gravity is only going to make it less stable on the pavement and in off-camber trail situations. You should lift to accommodate tires and unless you're rolling on 37s or larger 4" is really not necessary.

If you're dead set on it, you should consider a full set of control arms with that height, new driveshafts, longer brake lines, and then consider upgrading steering components along the way as well. You're likely looking at a drag link flip (high steer kit). I think it would be better to keep what you currently have and focus on upgrading a few steering things and maybe recovery items for the trails.
If I'm being honest I'm happy at my current height..
It's just that I like the brand of my 4" set better than my current 2.5".
Maybe I can just trade someone my Teraflex 4" set for a better 2.5" set..!?
Thank you for your input...it's got my mind think'n more clearly!
Old 10-02-2021, 01:31 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,936 Likes on 1,695 Posts

Originally Posted by Woody003
If I'm being honest I'm happy at my current height..
It's just that I like the brand of my 4" set better than my current 2.5".
Maybe I can just trade someone my Teraflex 4" set for a better 2.5" set..!?
Thank you for your input...it's got my mind think'n more clearly!
Being objective and honest, I'd tell you Teraflex isn't all that much better than Rubicon Express in general. One thing to consider is we're talking about springs here. They aren't doing a ton more than holding the jeep up. Sure, you can go down the path of progressive and multi-rate coils, but at the end of the day if the springs aren't sagging on one end dramatically there's really nothing wrong with them. Out of all lift components, these are the least important to have some high quality brand name IMO. If you were just not shopping for lifts to for an unmodded jeep, sure most of us would steer you in a different direction, but it's more important to have some quality shocks for the ride, and other quality items like a really good front track bar, good ball joints, and a good caster correction method. (good control arms if you were going down that path).

My jeep is a Franken lift so I'm not one to worry about all my component manufacturers matching as much as I am that the jeep is built well and performs to my liking. I really don't like Rock Krawler at all, but I still have RK springs under my jeep from 7 years ago......and they are just fine for me.
Old 10-02-2021, 02:49 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by resharp001
Being objective and honest, I'd tell you Teraflex isn't all that much better than Rubicon Express in general. One thing to consider is we're talking about springs here. They aren't doing a ton more than holding the jeep up. Sure, you can go down the path of progressive and multi-rate coils, but at the end of the day if the springs aren't sagging on one end dramatically there's really nothing wrong with them. Out of all lift components, these are the least important to have some high quality brand name IMO. If you were just not shopping for lifts to for an unmodded jeep, sure most of us would steer you in a different direction, but it's more important to have some quality shocks for the ride, and other quality items like a really good front track bar, good ball joints, and a good caster correction method. (good control arms if you were going down that path).

My jeep is a Franken lift so I'm not one to worry about all my component manufacturers matching as much as I am that the jeep is built well and performs to my liking. I really don't like Rock Krawler at all, but I still have RK springs under my jeep from 7 years ago......and they are just fine for me.
I feel the same regarding not caring if all my components match...I'm after ride quality (within my Disability Vet budget). My current setup is a fairly inexpensive 2.5" RE lift with Rancho adjustable shocks that I purchased about 10 years ago. Well the AZ sun and time has me in need of new shocks...and I've ALWAYS hated how much sag is in the rear (without any load)! So, I figured with the shock replacements it'd be an perfect time to change my coils; as well as an overhaul of my interior with everything I've accumulated over the years (typical Jeeper...LOL).
So, I'll be on the hunt for a 2.5 - 3" coils that can handle a load and have good ride quality!? Maybe I'll be able to trade my 4" Teraflex for a set!

Quick Reply: Rubicon Express Vs. Teraflex