Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Rubicon Express Vs. Teraflex

Old 11-24-2009, 01:19 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JasonTCFD
I finally got the approval from the boss (GF) that I can lift my JK. I've been looking at the Rubicon Express 3.5 Super flex for about a month thinking that was the way I was going to go(w/ 35's). Now, I'm also looking at the Teraflex 4" and thinking I may want to put 37's on. I was planning my rig out for the RE Lift with 35's.

What does everyone recommend?

What other consideration's do I need to make if I go with the 37's with 4 inches of lift (i.e. driveshaft, etc.) that wouldn't have to with 35's and 3.5"s of lift?
I think you should start by deciding on a tire size first. That will impact many other things.

For 37" tires on a D30 you have mkjeep right here to provide valuable experience.

Also, consider the effective lift of each kit. I don't know about the RE kit, the TF kit is know to generatea bit of lift beyond the product label.

More lift, means more mods.

Just make the right choice for your needs and taste!
Old 11-24-2009, 03:15 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mkjeep
RE guys must be off today.
Miss me?

Both are great kits and you'll be happy with either one, what about the 3.5" and fender trimming when you go to 37's? Just another thought...
Old 11-24-2009, 03:47 PM
JK Super Freak

Teraflex really is amazing. I have had so many people mention how well my rig drives, etc ,etc. Teraflex is one of the top out their, if not the best.
Old 11-24-2009, 04:28 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by NGINIER
Miss me?
Old 11-24-2009, 05:24 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I love my Teraflex 3" longarm kit. Installed it with a buddy of mine ourselves. The ride is amazing, much better than stock, and any short arm lifted jk ive ridden in. While at the under 6" range longarms may not be required to lift a jk, the ride really is very better IMHO. Plus Teraflex has top notch A+ customer service who is always willing to help if something is wrong. That alone made me choose teraflex w/o even thinking much about any other company. I posted up on here about a squeeky shock and teraflex had a new one on my door step no questioons asked in under a week. So my vote is teraflex.
Old 11-24-2009, 06:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

I drove TF's JKU at the Ouray Jeep Jamboree that had the 3" longarm and 37's. I could not believe the ride, both on and off road. I almost drove away with it back to Iowa.
Old 11-29-2009, 11:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

so really there are just no RE lovers out there, got it!!!!
Old 11-29-2009, 11:52 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The RE guys are broke down on a trail somewhere. Haha, all joking aside , it's gonna be left up to you to make the decision. Any kit, lift can have probs no matter who makes it. If you have anyone available to you that has kits you'd like, go for a test run with them. My first lift was an REBB, no probs, second lift -Superlift 4in- bit of saggy springs under weight, now Tera flex 4in combined with other parts, oh happy day, no probs so far. Eh, just go with what your gut is tellin ya. I will say this, I've had nothing but great service outta the vendors on here, and I'm not just sayin that because I'm a moderator. 95% of the stuff I have was bought before I was even a mod. Joe at TeraFlex is a great guy to deal with and can answer or help you if you decide to go TF. Just my 2cents. I'm sure they're other nice people out there too, or is there hell i'm going back to drinkin beer since I can't be with the brokedown re guys right now
Old 11-29-2009, 09:14 PM
JK Super Freak

Just stumbled upon this so I thought I'd answer. I am really happy with my RE 4.5" LA kit. It drives better than it did stock and the biggest complaint people have about it is the bushings and I haven't been through a set yet, but I definitely baby it compared to most folks around here. Having said all that, if Teraflex had had out their 6" LCG kit when I got my RE kit, I'd have gone with the Teraflex kit instead. I really like that you can upgrade your 4" Teraflex kit to the 6" without replacing everything. I can't do that with my RE kit. Hindsight is 20/20 of course, live and learn, yada, yada, yada. I strongly believe the RE is a great kit, but if you ever plan to go bigger (you're doing it now to get the 4", someday you might want to again) I think the Teraflex kit would be the way to go. Plus, I have to say it's nice to have a rep on this forum to talk to and pick their brain with any questions you might have about their stuff. I guess in conclusion, I don't see the RE kit as having many negatives, I just see the Teraflex kit as having a few more positives.
Old 11-30-2009, 06:16 PM
JK Newbie

Default Late to the party?

Hello...my name is Matt...and I am a RE Lover...

Anyway, I have installed two SF kits, one on my 03 Rubi and the other recently one on the RHD JK. I put 40k miles on the Rubi over 3.5 years with no issues whatsoever. The kit was durable, had crazy flex and the joints were as reliable and quiet as can be, so long as you keep them well greased (monthly). I was not nice to that vehicle, as it was my first Jeep, so for what you get for the money, I could not leave RE when it came time to buy the JK kit.

So, a couple buddies and I installed the following onto the RHD about a month ago:
RE 3.5" SF
37 MTRs
Bilsteins
AEV Rear Track bar bracket, High Steer System and Procal

It took just over 5 hours, including too much Taco Bell for lunch. The kit rides firm yet smooth, with the Bilsteins and the 37 MTRs at 38psi (too high, but still playing around with settings to get the most even wear).
The 37 MTRs clear with about an inch to spare in the tight areas due to the 4.25' of lift that the kit actually netted me, so any settling should still be fine. So far, no problems with the D30, but the 2 offroading trips have been mild. trails and some mud. It doesn't matter though, as a D44 front, gussets and5.13s are waiting for the lockers to be decided on (tough when you are flat broke).

Anyway, sorry about rambling...There are RE guys out there, and I know that I am and have been completely satisfied. It just depends on what is best for you.

Last thing, the Rubi had a 4.5" SF with 35s...the JK with the 3.5" SF and 37s is HUGE in comparison...my wife can barely make it in (and reminds me), but my 2 year old son loves it.

Quick Reply: Rubicon Express Vs. Teraflex