Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Rubi?

Old 09-12-2009, 04:29 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Posted this before, but it's worth posting again. Compares 2008 X to Rubicon...

Here's a list of differences I know. Tried to be as comprehensive as possible.

Next Generation Dana 44 heavy-duty solid front. 30 spline vs 27 for the Sahara/X. 4:10 ratio vs either 3:21 or 3:73. The Rubi locker also uses four spider gears as opposed to the non-locker two. "Next Generation" uses same axle tubes and knuckles as the Dana 30. Heck - it the same knuckles as the two wheel drive! Same exact part numbers. Bottom line: Stronger axle shafts, probably stronger spider.

Dana 44 rear the same except the Rubicon uses 32 spline axles vs 30. 4:10 ratio Bottom line: Stronger axle shafts.

Tru-Lok® front and rear, electronic remote locking. Optional rear-only on X and Sahara. Bottom line: you get a front locker for sure, rear depends how the X came from the factory.

Rock-Trac® NV241 OR, manual, part-time, shift-on-the-fly transfer case. 4 to 1 low range. Bottom line: better crawl speeds.

Rock Rails — Black, painted steel, heavy-duty, protective, body-mounted. Bottom line: Better side protection. The actually work quite well!

Sway Bar Disconnect — Electronically controlled, front (4WD models)
(requires Tru-Lok rear differential). Optional on X and Sahara. Bottom line: greatly increased articulation, better off-road control in most circumstances (hint: re-engage the sway bar when off camber - helps a lot).

Tow Hooks — Two front, one rear (requires fog lamps). Maybe. Depends how the X was ordered. Bottom line: you probably have more options to recover your buddy (or to be recovered, but less likely since you have the Rubi).

Two halogen fog lamps, located in front bumper (requires tow hooks). Same "maybe" as tow hooks.

LT255/75R17 BF Goodrich® Mud Terrain, BSW, off-road. Way better tires. Bottom line: More aggressive, bigger tires and more ground clearance.

Stain Repel premium seat fabric, two-tone. Not available on X. Bottom line: You can take scarier lines and clean up better afterward! Doesn't look like the Yes Essentials fabric is available in the '09s anymore.

There are 16 rear and 8 front part numbers for drive shafts (2008 parts list). The same front drive shaft part numbers works for both axles. The rear drive shaft in 2008 had separate part numbers for the 2wd vs 4wd, Command Trac, Rock Trac, 2-wheel drive, gas vs diesel engines, and standard vs automatic transmissions. So there may be mounting differences in rear, but not up front.

Shock Absorbers (gas-charged) High-pressure monotube with Low-Speed Tunable valve technology. Not available on X.

17-Inch Cast-Aluminum Wheels. 18-Inch Cast-Aluminum on Sahra, 17-Inch Steel Wheels on X. Cast-Aluminum painted wheels option on X.

Seven ∞Infinity speakers including subwoofer and 368-watt high-power amplifier. Standard on Rubicon and Sahara. Not available on some X models.

Gauges — Compass, temperature and mini-trip display (includes average fuel economy, distance to empty or elapsed time). Not available on Base X only.

Cool RUBICON decals on hood. Only available as an after-market "upgrade" on Sahara and X.

Other than some miscellaneous options, I think that's about it.

Last edited by AZJeeper; 09-13-2009 at 09:07 AM.
Old 09-12-2009, 04:32 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Three scenarios:

#1. You will never want tires bigger than 33's, and won't ever use lockers. You'll offroad maybe once every two months. In this case, buy the "X" or a Sahara and make a few inexpensive mods (tires, budget boost)

#2. You will offroad at least once a month, and think that you will probably end up with 35's. This means that you'll be wanting a strong axle, good tires, and lockers. In this case, buy the Rubi. If you do end up going to 37's, sleeves, cromo shafts, c's, and trusses will get your Dana 44's to where it needs to be.

#3. You know in your gut that you're going to spend a LOT of money modding the jeep, and can see yourself going to 37's or 40's. In this case buy the "X" because you're going to want (need) Dana 60's anyways...and maybe a Hemi to turn those big 'ol tires
Old 09-12-2009, 05:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by AZJeeper

17-Inch Cast-Aluminum Wheels. 18-Inch Cast-Aluminum on Sahra, 17-Inch Steel Wheels on X. Cast-Aluminum painted wheels option on X.

my 2008 X has 16" rims

Get what you want, but i love my X and yes if i had the money i would get a rubi

Quick Reply: Rubi?