Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Rubi?

Old 09-12-2009, 04:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rubi?

Have a 2007 JK 2dr(that is actually belongs to my wife) and after a few moderate mods the bug has bit me. If i can't find something new to do every weekend, it's like a day without coffe. After watching me for several weeks mama has said get what you want After looking for a few weeks no I have decided to wait for the 2010 to come to my local dealer then order exactly what I want. My question is, Is the Rubi realy worth the price?
Old 09-12-2009, 04:47 AM
JK Junkie

If this Jeep will be your daily driving. No. Keep your extra money for mods.

If this Jeep will be used for more extreme off-road (rock crawling). Yes, it's the best investment.

Rubi coils and shocks
True locks front and rear lockers
e-discos
Rubi t.c.
BFG Mud tires
DANA 44 front axle
Rock rails
4.1 gear

Last edited by Yoda; 09-12-2009 at 04:51 AM.
Old 09-12-2009, 04:47 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 170 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by KYJEEP
Have a 2007 JK 2dr(that is actually belongs to my wife) and after a few moderate mods the bug has bit me. If i can't find something new to do every weekend, it's like a day without coffe. After watching me for several weeks mama has said get what you want After looking for a few weeks no I have decided to wait for the 2010 to come to my local dealer then order exactly what I want. My question is, Is the Rubi realy worth the price?
You will get yes's and no's, which will average out to get what you want. You already have that answer from your wife.
Old 09-12-2009, 05:01 AM
JK Super Freak

Get the rubi!!!
Old 09-12-2009, 05:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

just got a slew of the newbies at the local dealer. red rock 2 door rubi. 32K. yikes! i love my 07 rubi. you are going to get a lot of different responses. i had a 05 and got the 07. NO REGRETS. friend just picked up a 2 door 09 X. with the rubi wheel/tire package. i have never seen that on the X. new left over 09. got a great deal. go with feels right and MAKES YOU HAPPY!!

side note: driving a rubi: best jeep fix in the world.
Old 09-12-2009, 05:26 AM
jmc
JK Enthusiast

Get whatever you want because that will make you the happiest.
And you won't have any regrets or wish you would have gotten the other one.
Old 09-12-2009, 06:35 AM
JK Enthusiast

buy the rubi......i have a sahara and i just spent $4500 to buy some rubi axles because it was cheaper than modding my D30 and buying lockers. could have saved money up front just by buying the rubi.
Old 09-12-2009, 08:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

^ good info Geeper .

Go for the Rubi if you have the means. My Rubi has change quite a bit since I bought her in 6/08...no regrets of my purchase at all.

Old 09-12-2009, 09:22 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Geeper4x4
First, I must tell you I am a second time JK X owner 2dr and 4dr.
Second, I put pictures in a post even when it's not necessary.

You say you have the bug, and you're asking about the Rubi so I am assuming you already own an X . You also say you are ready to trade so my gut feeling is you're really wanting the Rubi. If you have the financial ability to truly afford the Rubi...

Get the Rubi!

Reasons why you might get the Rubi:

It is the pinnacle of out of the box off-road versatile and capable 4x4 machine on the planet.

Yes, it does cost more but it will have some items on it from the factory that really make it a big step up without buying big dollar mods.

Transfercase - Great box and yes it does make a difference with crawling over obstacles. Also very nice on steep descents. Does the X get the job done? Of course it does but the Rubi T-case is much better.

Lockers- You can't understand how much more capable your rig is with this feature until you go out locked.

4.10 gearing - This can save you some money on a regear right away when you upgrade your tires to 35's.

Dana 44- Although the JK D30 is much improved over older models I still give the D44 the nod. They share many areas and needs for upgrades but if you ask anyone that wheels hard with an X if they wanted a free front D44 to throw in they would take it in a heartbeat.

Rocksliders- is a must have for protecting your body from costly damage.

If you go 4 door- On the 4 door having the electric windows and doorlocks sure is convenient. Again this is the kind of thing certainly not necessary for a Jeeper including me but if it is a DD and/or you have kids it's nice to have.

Now my choice...
I have owned two X's but everyone's situation is different. I don't feel the price is worth going up to the Rubi for me. I know how I wheel and what kind of mods I want. I am modest with my 4x4 funds and I have other hobbies that I put some of my fun money towards. I am a basic kind of guy and pull my doors off as often as possible. I build my own bumpers, rock sliders and quick release pins. I know how to install lockers and what kind I want. My income is good but not without limitations so I bought the kind of Jeep I can truly afford and have no regrets. My X goes where I want and keeps up just fine. My wheeling experience can make up for the minor limitations of the X vs Rubi. If I was in the position financially to own one I certainly would have the Rubi, but I am very satisfied with my X and have no regrets with either of my X purchases. Bottom line is get the most Jeep you can afford and then make it yours because everyone here love a Jeep no matter what model. We even get excited about the new model line coming out each year even though they look just like the one we bought off the lot.

Pics of the last X - Gittin-R-Done

I know what you mean about going out to modify every weekend. I am going to change a few things on the weekends myself. True Jeeper test. Can you tell what is wrong with my stock X picture? You will have to look carefully to notice. If you hold the control key down and use your scroll feature on the mouse you can enlarge the screen to help find it.

My latest X.... just getting started.

X2!!

Wait a minute here, thats no Unlimited... I hope you didnt pay an unlimited price...
Old 09-12-2009, 04:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Like many have said, if you don't plan on going A$$ Nutz crazy modding your new JK the Rubicon would be the best bet if it financially it is in your budget. I'm not in the market right now so I'm not sure the exact difference, but when the wife and I were looking at Wranglers ourselves early this year I think it was maybe a $4-5k difference in sticker price from an X to a comparably equipped Rubicon. So with that in mind, to see that number yeah, it seems like a lot. Amortized over the term of a 60mos loan it's only what $65-85 difference in the monthly payment. If you choose the X, well yeah you have the little bit cheaper payment, but if you want to make it as capable as the Rubi it will cost a fair chunck of $$$ that you now have to have to fork over when you buy the parts. Then of course there is always that dreadful day when you have to make the tough decision and part ways with your JK. If you sell on the street, you'll be lucky to get regain $.25-$.30 on the dollar for mods, if you are forced to trade it in most dealers really won't give you anything for them.

With both the wife I owning Rubi's I have to say they are great rig's. A simple convenience that draws the envy of some of the guys we wheel with is the push button disconnect of the front sway bar. No need to wrench around underneath or having to mess around making sure the sway bar is secured out of the way so it doesn't hit the front tires. As it was mentioned before, the 4:1 transer case is another great thing for crawling over obstacles or descending a steep incline. The Dana 44 axles front and rear with the eletroncis lockers will certainly add to your peace of mind. The D44's for their added durability over the D30's and the lockers for those instances where you that added traction.

Other than that, I know you mentioned wanting to wait and get a 2010 model. Not sure if it you had heard/read any of the rumors or if it will even matter to you but I felt it worth mentioning. If all the talk is true, Chrysler is doing away with the lifetime powertrain warranty and replacing it with a 5yr/100k mile warranty I think starting with the 2010 models (do your research on this). Again this may not be a big deal, but then it might sway toward an 2009. Regardless I felt it worth mentioning.

Quick Reply: Rubi?