Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Road worthy tires for Rubicon

Old 04-19-2012, 09:55 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Road worthy tires for Rubicon

Is there such a thing as road worthy tires that will allow the Rubicon to ride more Sahara like on road when not going off roading as much as local on road driving?

Also is lumber support ever available as an option for the 2012 Wrangler Unlimited?
Old 04-19-2012, 10:43 AM
JK Super Freak

Hi and welcome to the forum. The differences between the Sahara and the Rubicon are a bit more than just the tires, but if you switch to an all-terrain instead of the mud tires that come with the Rubicon it will be better on pavement. You can probably find someone here with a Sahara that will be willing to trade you straight across for their rims and tires.
Old 04-19-2012, 10:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

There are plenty of poeple with Saharas that would be glad to trade tires/rims.

Plenty of AT tires that are "road worthy". You have MT tires. AT-all terrain, MT- mud terrain.

Don't know about the lumbar........

If the tires bother you, you may be better off with an X or Sahara, but I personally would not pay the extra for the Sahara. X is the one.

Last edited by Smelt_1; 04-19-2012 at 10:46 AM.
Old 04-19-2012, 06:44 PM
JK Newbie

Hi thanks for all of your experience and feedback. Presently I own the 2012 Grand Cherokee X series with off road package, air lift suspension, trail rated, 2 speed transfer case, all in an amazing do everything vehicle. We're thinking of having the Wrangler as a second car for our family. I've noticed in testing the Rubicon that at higher highway speeds especially it tends to ride knobby with a lot more jerking and hesitating than the smoother responding Sahara version with the more road worthy tires. I realize the Rubicon has a heavier suspension with heavier springs, rock rails skid plates (not sure if Sahara has the skid plates), but the Sahara seems to drive a bit tamer more so for my wife and 3 year old which caused some concern since I prefer the original Rubicon fully loaded version. I thought perhaps as a compromise the smaller road tires vs the knobbier BF Goodrich may do the trick satisfying the rest of the family while keeping all the preferred innards and larger tires for me when using the Wrangler off roadeying and at Jeep Gymboree.

Thanks again for all of your input and thoughtful suggestions,

Jerry
Old 04-19-2012, 06:49 PM
JK Super Freak

You might be interested in checking out the Falken Wildpeak's. They've been getting great reviews all around, both for the off-road prowess, as well as their smooth on-road driveability.

Old 04-20-2012, 08:50 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jlaskin
Hi thanks for all of your experience and feedback. Presently I own the 2012 Grand Cherokee X series with off road package, air lift suspension, trail rated, 2 speed transfer case, all in an amazing do everything vehicle. We're thinking of having the Wrangler as a second car for our family. I've noticed in testing the Rubicon that at higher highway speeds especially it tends to ride knobby with a lot more jerking and hesitating than the smoother responding Sahara version with the more road worthy tires. I realize the Rubicon has a heavier suspension with heavier springs, rock rails skid plates (not sure if Sahara has the skid plates), but the Sahara seems to drive a bit tamer more so for my wife and 3 year old which caused some concern since I prefer the original Rubicon fully loaded version. I thought perhaps as a compromise the smaller road tires vs the knobbier BF Goodrich may do the trick satisfying the rest of the family while keeping all the preferred innards and larger tires for me when using the Wrangler off roadeying and at Jeep Gymboree.

Thanks again for all of your input and thoughtful suggestions,

Jerry
FYI - you wouldn't want to put smaller tires on a Rubi. They're the same height as the Sahara and Wrangler Sport S get and the vehicle is setup to have that size tire on it. You'd be even lower geared and have to reprogram the computer to make everything work correctly if you were to change tire size. It'd be the opposite of putting larger tires on.

Just get a good set of All Terrains in the same size.
Old 04-20-2012, 09:06 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

You could get a set of tires like the Goodyear Duratracs. They are something like an "Aggresive AT".

Or you could just get smoother MTs like a Toyo Open Country MT. The BFG MTs are an OK tire, but I wish Jeep would go back to MTRs or or something else on the Rubicon.

Quick Reply: Road worthy tires for Rubicon