Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Road Trip Protection

Old 04-01-2014, 08:42 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Road Trip Protection

I am going to be moving from Fl to Co next month, so that means a lot of miles. I would like to protect my Jeep from bugs and rocks. Anyone have any good ideas?
Old 04-01-2014, 08:45 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Are you saying protection for the road trip itself or for you new home?

I don't think there is any practical protection for the trip that would make much sense value-wise.

In terms of bugs, you could just stop and wash t a couple times along the was so it doesn't get grimy.
Old 04-01-2014, 02:11 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I pulls mine from VA to CO last year behind the haul on a flatbed trailer. No bug or rocks on the jeep. It sets too high to take anything, being that close to the moving truck. How do you plan on hauling the jeep? That would determine your set up for protection, if needed at all.
Old 04-01-2014, 03:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

I used 3M Scotchgard Paint Protection Film Strip on my cars. My Jeep just gets beat up, because it's a Jeep. Not cheap stuff but is good stuff. Scratches on my cars are very hurtful but don't mind on them as much on my Jeep. This does not mean I neglect my Jeep, I still detail it twice a year and wash about once a month. Just because it's a Jeep doesn't make it less of a $20k asset.

As long as you don't let bug guts bake on, you should be ok. You shouldn't have too much problems with rocks due to the high clearance though, just don't follow too close.

If you're willing to fork a few thousand dollars you can also have it vinyl wrapped

Last edited by Canibeat; 04-01-2014 at 03:53 PM.
Old 04-03-2014, 05:41 AM
JK Newbie

I'm going to be driving a total of 1700 miles over a few days. I saw this and wondered if anyone had ever tried it.

3M/Paint defender spray film

http://contentinfo.autozone.com/znet...90000/image/3/
Old 04-03-2014, 06:19 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

1. Don't follow vehicles with large tires too closely. This includes pickups, dump trucks, trailers, or anything that looks like it's carrying rock or sand. Allow plenty of room to pass.

2. Wash the Jeep when you get to your destination to remove all the bugs. If you have access to a coin-op sprayer or pressure washer, this job becomes a breeze.

I've spent some time with car club guys when I owned a sports car. While I understand wanting to keep your vehicle in good shape (and still drive it), some of them went a little crazy. Neurotic crazy. Most of them would use 3M Painter's tape and mask off the front of their vehicle, overlapping the strips in such a way that air couldn't flow under the edge of a tape (kind of like how a roof is laid, to keep water out, except in this case, wind, so the tape wouldn't peel off).

Other than rocks to the windshield, the Jeep does pretty well. Stuff bounces off the plastic bumper and the grille is soft plastic and so are the headlamps, the mirrors are black plastic like the bumpers. There's not a whole lot of surface area to show damage. My thought is to just have a good time, be careful, and skip the whole thing of looking like a pre-production vehicle wrapped in crazy plastic.

Quick Reply: Road Trip Protection