Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Road trip last 1 hour....Jeep Dies

Old 05-23-2009, 03:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Road trip last 1 hour....Jeep Dies

Loaded up the 2 kids the 2 dogs and my wife and we are headed out of town when an hour in we started up the summit and the Engine light starts flashing and dinging, and I lost all power. I would step on the gas and and it would just sputter. Luckily I was able to turn it around and limp back to an offramp. An hour and half later and my patiance gone the JK was towed off and I wont even know anything untill Tuesday as this particular service department isn't open on Saturday. I called the dealer this morning that it was towed too and asked if they could verify that the JK made made it and they gave me the sorry you will have to call your tow company, they would give me the number of the tow company who I had tow the JK off, but they could not walk their lazy a$$ out and see if the JK is in their lot and the key was dropped off at the service department. I have had it with Chrysler, I am ready to sale the JK and the WK this is the second time the JK has been in for work on what seems to be the same issue. WHY did Chrysler drop the inline six for this piece of SH**!

Last edited by Erockhopper; 05-23-2009 at 04:02 PM.
Old 05-23-2009, 03:49 PM
JK Freak

Whow now brother. I understand your frustration. It could a number of things but at the end of the day it will get discovered. Anything that makes a vehicle die is easy to diagnose and usually fix. The headaches are the ones where the vehicle does weird crap like make your dash lights flicker and windshield wipers turn on and off.
Old 05-24-2009, 03:02 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by Erockhopper
WHY did Chrysler drop the inline six for this piece of SH**!

The venerable inline 6 would not meet emissions standards going forward. I doubt your problems are engine related, probably computer/software issues, which the JK has had it's fair share.
Old 05-24-2009, 04:36 AM
JK Newbie

I know how you feel on this one but my issue was the other way around. I bought a new XJ with the 4.0 when it first came out (1987.5). I did not even make it home from the dealer with my new Jeep and was really pissed. Well they towed it in and found the problem and had my new Jeep back the next day. It turned out to be the computer had gone bad and with that replaced my XJ now has 230,000 miles on it and still runs great. Our 07 JK has never been back to the dealer for anything in the two years we have had it and I just bought an 09 last week and hope to have no problems with it as well. They will get your Jeep fixed and it is probley something simple they have over looked.

Good Luck,
Jim
Old 05-24-2009, 09:57 AM
JK Enthusiast

Well had this been the first time I may have been able to overlook a glitch that needed to be repaired. This being the second time for the same issue is where I begin to become less tolerent. The first time they had my JK for almost 2 weeks one week because of their inability to read a computer code and the second being their incompetance to turn a wrench, They sheered a bolt and had to order a new part. None of this information did I recieve a phone call from the dealer, but rather I had to call them, every time. 1 dealer down. My WK is a different matter different dealer. Engine light goes off jeep won't engage when placed into drive. Take it to the delaer (same one I bought it from) and they make the repairs and I am charged for parts and labor I ask what about my warranty, they had not even bothered to look to see if it was warranted. So they look, and oh yes you have a warranty but your not covered for this particular issue. 2nd dealer down. If the issue is as minor as it should be why can't these dealers fix it and fix it in areasonable amount of time. I have owned a CJ-7, YJ, XJ, 2 TJ's and WJ never even had to have any of them to a dealer for issues and now these 2 pieces of junk seem to be in every month. I have been a huge jeep fan and before now would not have even considered another manufacture. It is not that the other manufactures have swayed me, but that jeep is forcing me to look elsewhere. If I can not trust that my new vehicles will provide quality transportation to my family and I, what is left?

Quick Reply: Road trip last 1 hour....Jeep Dies