Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Road Trip ATL to DEN

Old 12-16-2008, 01:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Road Trip ATL to DEN

I'm taking the JK on its first road trip out to Winter Park CO this New Years! Any advice on prepping the Jeep before I go? Is there anything I should look over to make sure it's in proper working order before 10 straight hours of driving. Any heads up before driving 20+ hours in a lifted, soft top Jeep on mud tires
Old 12-16-2008, 01:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

Don't know about the lift and tires, but I drove 2 separate 30 hours in less than 2 weeks January of this year and had a great time. Enjoy it.

The best thing for a long road trip is a book called The Next Exit, you can get it at truck stops. It has every restaurant, gas station etc listed by exit around the nation, its great.

Have fun.
Old 12-16-2008, 05:42 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have fun on your trip Matt!

I would change oil, and make sure all fluids are at the correct levels. I would also rotate the tires and make sure that they have the correct air pressure for tire wear and a comfortable ride. Make sure to replace or clean your air filter!

Not sure this makes any sense but I would also wash it and put some wax on it, a cleaner vehicle always seems to ride better and get better gas mileage.
Old 12-16-2008, 05:53 PM
JK Junkie

I usually, like 08{GA}RUBICON said, check all fluids and change the oil. You shouldn't have too much to worry about if you stay up on regular maintenance. Tire pressure as well is key...Enjoy!
Old 12-16-2008, 08:58 PM
JK Super Freak

Winter in the Rocky Mountains can be harsh. New Years can be cold, snowy, windy, or warm and sunny. Be prepared for a possible slide off. Keep survival gear in the Jeep, including a blanket, boots, candle, matches, T.P., tow strap, shovel, etc. You can find suggestions doing a search. Don't forget to consider cold temperatures so be sure you have the proper anti-freeze. The roads can be very slick so be careful if you don't have much experience on icy surfaces. Most important is watch out for the other guy, he might not have experience on winter roads, leave plenty of room between you and him. And finally, have a blast when you get there. Take lots of pictures!
Old 12-17-2008, 04:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks everyone, I'll be sure to take all of your advice!
Old 12-17-2008, 05:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

I drove from Columbus to Utah this summer with the same setup. 2" BB, stock mud tires, and the soft top. My biggest gripe about the whole thing was the wind noise and hoodlift when driving across the windy plains. Doing 75mph with no wind is fine, but through about a 20mph headwind in the mix and the fuel mileage is terrible, the noise is bad, and the hood looks as if its gonna fly off at any time.

However.....completely worth it to get to the mountains and have a good time. Enjoy the road trip!
Old 12-17-2008, 09:40 AM
JK Enthusiast

I did a 1900 mile round trip over Thanksgiving with 3" and 35's.High winds want to push you around a bit but livable.Just check everything over good before you head out.
Old 12-17-2008, 07:22 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Don't forget cell phone, CB, HAM radio in your "survival" pack.
Communications will save your life at best, a whole lot of trouble at worst.

I'm getting a handheld ICOM with my HAM radio license. If you're traveling in a convoy of one, you can't have enough back-up with communications.

Quick Reply: Road Trip ATL to DEN