Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

RIP...June 17, 2007 - May 24, 2008

Old 05-27-2008, 05:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SGT. EVIL
You know nothing of what your BullS#!^^!8@.......If your wearing your seat belt the computer system will not deploy the airbags at certain speeds and G's due to the air bag causing more injuries than helping in a slow speed crash. The air bag deploys with great force and can cause more injurie than help in a collision. Some frontal collisions at an angle will not deploy the bags and you hear people complain about this. Well its because it will cause more harm to the occupants then help, and again thats why the may not even deploy in a angled frontal collision. In an angled collision you may miss the air bag all together because fo forces pushing you to the side instead of straight on twith airbag and its safer for them not to deploy. The new generation of airbags are completely different from past generations. Thats why do not deploy as often. The computer will compute the collision data as the impact is occuring and may of may not deploy the air bag if you are wearing a seat blet. It will though deploy a bag at a slower car speed if you are not wearing your seat belt. Several people have been injuried in collision that because the "fooled" the seat belt by clicking it behind them or using a dumby clip. The air bags then did not deploy and the occupant was injuried where the bags may have prevent the injury.
Agree with all of that. And I would also add that in this case nobody was injured, which is further proof that the airbags did exactly what they should have done by not deploying.

Sorry about your Jeep. Glad you're okay.
Old 05-27-2008, 06:13 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to hear about your JK... I am happy to hear nobody was hurt!
Old 05-27-2008, 06:30 AM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Glad yall weren't hurt. I guess yall were havin fun?!?!?!? I don't know. Good luck with the insurance thing. On the airbag arguement. It's been a while since I worked in a body shop, BUT all of the manufacturers have guidelines they have to meet. I can't remember exactly what it is......15 degrees from the center line of the bumper sticks in my mind. I think if the impact is not within 15 degrees of the center, the airbag will not go off. I know all of that is correct, except the degree amount. I just can't remember, but I think 15 degrees is right.
Old 05-27-2008, 06:30 AM
JK Freak

You know nothing of what your BullS#!^^!8@.......If your wearing your seat belt the computer system will not deploy the airbags at certain speeds and G's due to the air bag causing more injuries than helping in a slow speed crash. The air bag deploys with great force and can cause more injurie than help in a collision. Some frontal collisions at an angle will not deploy the bags and you hear people complain about this. Well its because it will cause more harm to the occupants then help, and again thats why the may not even deploy in a angled frontal collision. In an angled collision you may miss the air bag all together because fo forces pushing you to the side instead of straight on twith airbag and its safer for them not to deploy. The new generation of airbags are completely different from past generations. Thats why do not deploy as often. The computer will compute the collision data as the impact is occuring and may of may not deploy the air bag if you are wearing a seat blet. It will though deploy a bag at a slower car speed if you are not wearing your seat belt. Several people have been injuried in collision that because the "fooled" the seat belt by clicking it behind them or using a dumby clip. The air bags then did not deploy and the occupant was injuried where the bags may have prevent the injury.
True, i even read somewhere (probably in the manual) that onboard computer records and analyzes all the data(speed, braking force, etc) every 10 seconds. So it figured, the seat belts are on, speed is 10 mph = no need for air bags to deploy.

If it wasn't for the computer, people in cities like New York, would have to get new air bags after every time they parallel park.
Old 05-27-2008, 06:33 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i hope they total it....

ordering another X or gonna go with a Rubi this time around?
Old 05-27-2008, 07:32 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Seryoga
True, i even read somewhere (probably in the manual) that onboard computer records and analyzes all the data(speed, braking force, etc) every 10 seconds. So it figured, the seat belts are on, speed is 10 mph = no need for air bags to deploy.

If it wasn't for the computer, people in cities like New York, would have to get new air bags after every time they parallel park.
Yes, All vehicle are now coming with a "Black Box" that records speed, gear, breaking, force, and they have been in most vehicles for over 10 years...... The box records continuously but you can only get the last ten seconds of what happend.
Old 05-27-2008, 10:22 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

OOOH! I stand corrected oh grandmaster of the air baggeth!
Old 05-27-2008, 03:40 PM
JK Newbie

I can already tell that my insurance company - Fred Loya Insurance - is gonna be a pain in the arse. I hope they total it...I don't want it. But they are gonna tow it from the wreckers yard to their own private yard, which means they are probably gonna drag their feet. Even the tow truck driver said, "Oh man," when I told him who I had for insurance.

Fred Loya Insurance is a big private broker out here. I have been with them for years....because they have been relatively cheap and I was too lazy to change. Plus I have never had a claim with them. Lets see how they behave, but they better be warned. Last time Pep Boys messed up on an oil change, i thumped them between the eyes for $8500 without hiring an attorney. Luckily, my dad is an attorney and we usually handle problems with him giving me some guidance, but I am also a speaker/consultant that teaches, among other things, negotiations tactics, so......

I am definitely gonna get another Jeep, SOON! I think i am just gonna get an X, but I want a fully loaded Rubi. I will probably save the $10K and just get an X with an auto & cruise this time (i wasn't fond of the stick since I cant talk on the cell & drive) and simply put Rubi wheels on it. I have to keep it relatively stock since I travel A LOT for business. I also want a Sirius radio this time...

I am cautiously optimistic, so lets see what happens.

Last edited by citizennobody; 05-27-2008 at 04:03 PM.
Old 05-27-2008, 06:35 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by undertow119
Agree with all of that. And I would also add that in this case nobody was injured, which is further proof that the airbags did exactly what they should have done by not deploying.

Sorry about your Jeep. Glad you're okay.
What I was getting at in my posts was that the airbags in the jk may or may not go off at any given speed and any given impact. You know the way that their supposed to operate, but will they operate like their supposed to. Some people on here get change oil lights, some peoples never come on. With as many probs some people have with jk's and others none, I don't think anyone is exactly certain if their given JK even has airbags that will deploy. I think it's horsecrappola because if the airbags woulda went off and he remained uninjured, they would have been praising the bags from going off when they were suppossed to. My cousin was run off the road into a tree at high speed, the air bags didn't deploy, he was uninjured, but it does make me think after seeing his vehicle what it takes to set them off nowadays. Sorry if I offended Sgt Evil aka Capt Airbag
Old 05-28-2008, 03:42 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by citizennobody
I can already tell that my insurance company - Fred Loya Insurance - is gonna be a pain in the arse. I hope they total it...I don't want it. But they are gonna tow it from the wreckers yard to their own private yard, which means they are probably gonna drag their feet. Even the tow truck driver said, "Oh man," when I told him who I had for insurance.
They will tow it ASAP, simply because they don't want to pay daily storage fee. So its in their interest to get it out faster.

Then they will assess the damage. I'm pretty sure that if the cost of the repairs is more then 70% of the value of the vehicle, then its total loss.

PS: you insurance will no longer be cheap, trust me.

Quick Reply: RIP...June 17, 2007 - May 24, 2008