Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Riding doorless/topless .. securing items

Old 09-30-2011, 11:31 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I guess I am little more paranoid than most are. I like the bungee cord especially with the hooks in the back.
Old 09-30-2011, 02:24 PM
JK Super Freak

Safari straps
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3479377847.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	62.6 KB
ID:	217437  
Old 09-30-2011, 06:47 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by opolanka222
I'm still new to owning a jeep, but am loving riding doorless and topless. When I commute to work I need to carry a briefcase and on the weekends I play soccer and carry a soccer bag with me. I am paranoid of those items flying out so I just buckle up the bags or the briefcase. I have search high and low for this type of thread and cant seem to find one.

How does everyone else secure items they need to have with them such as gym bags, or other stuff?
In your 4 door, make sure you secure the back floor mats if you haven't taken them out/replaced with heavy slush. Mine almost flew out the first time I was top/doorless. There are a few threads about securing those floor mats.
Old 09-30-2011, 07:10 PM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tuffy security deck if you have a 4-door. That's the most secure enclosure for that. I wish they made a 2-door version with the backseat in. I may have to get an instatrunk to cover up my Bazooka subwoofer when I get it installed.
Old 09-30-2011, 07:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by armycop
Tuffy security deck if you have a 4-door. That's the most secure enclosure for that. I wish they made a 2-door version with the backseat in. I may have to get an instatrunk to cover up my Bazooka subwoofer when I get it installed.
I second this. Works great on my JKU. I'm always carrying a laptop for work and want it out of site on my softtop. I can now go topless/doorless with no problems.
Old 09-30-2011, 07:31 PM
JK Junkie

I throw my briefcase with my laptop either in my passenger floor area or in my backseat floor area. I keep a small jacket, thick beanie, gloves, and my Jeep tools bag laying behind my back seat. Nothing's ever flown out for me.
Old 10-03-2011, 09:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Do people try to steal the floor mats? Does the stock 2012 stereo have a good anti theft system? Also, did everyone have a chip you can pull out so the Jeep can't start unless it's in our did my dealership install those?
Old 10-03-2011, 09:17 PM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

All JK's have a microchip in the key itself. If you get a cheap copy of the key cut, it won't start the Jeep. With an automatic it is a little more secure when it's parked topless/doorless because of the shift lock in Park. With a manual trans, anyone can release the parking brake and put it in neutral.
Old 10-03-2011, 09:44 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Bungee cords for smaller, short trip items (bags, laptop, shopping, small fuel can, Ikea furniture )
Plastic coated metal cable and padlock for anything I want to secure overnight etc., such as camping equipment (stove, lamps, luggage), large fuel and sometimes my road bike.
The metal cable has loops on both ends and is long enough that I can thread it safely through multiple items and around the rollbar. I've never had any problems. The good thing about cables and bungee cords is they roll up and store neatly in the hidden storage box in the back.
Old 10-04-2011, 05:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

Well my biggest issue with doorless is I live in an apartment. I feel like anyone can take something over night. Or throw trash in it.

Quick random question. Is it possible to take the unlimited hard top off without a second person or am I going to scratch it up and drop it?

Quick Reply: Riding doorless/topless .. securing items