Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Replaced ball joints this weekend.

Old 03-18-2013, 08:30 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did mine this weekend as well. Quotes were ridiculous but I understand now why they were that high. Changed hub assemblies as well. Had to cut the passenger side assembly almost in half before the axle would press out.

My question is my steering is very tight now. Is this normal and just need the knuckles to wear in on the new joints?
Old 03-21-2013, 02:18 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

after several hours of work and anger management i finally got mine all done, after wards it needed a little alignment adjustment so i took it to my local shop, well apparently i need adjustable uppers to be able to align properly...he said 3/4 degree would be best but they don't make them. He suggested going up to 1 degree. did anyone else have this problem, or tips or suggestions? Or do i just need to man up and take them out and replace em?
Old 03-21-2013, 03:04 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did mine at a friends shop. Took 5 hours but that included ball joints, new tie rod, draglink, track bar bracket, Reid knuckles and ten factory front shafts and a full alignment. One of the u joints that cane with my axles was missing a cap so some of that time was spent waiting for another buddy to come by with a spare u joint.

Only ball joint we had issues with was passenger lower. Heating it with his plasma torch helped. The rest came out with little issue.

He had a very nice c press and pro level air tools and it was on a lift so this was a lot easier than doing it in my garage on jack stands.
Old 03-23-2013, 09:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got my alignment done today to see if my C's were bent or not. Looks pretty good from what I know. What do you guys think of this reading?

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130323_130102.jpg
Views:	451
Size:	30.1 KB
ID:	437215

Quick Reply: Replaced ball joints this weekend.