Notices
JK Talk General discussion forum regarding thoughts, opinions and rumors about the Jeep JK Wrangler or related subjects that don't quite fit in the Modified, Stock or Electronics forums.

Replace JKU with F150?

Old 07-10-2016, 04:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you haven't driven one lately go drive a new Ram. The ride and drive is amazing, like a car, and the 2500 turbo diesel has plenty of power. One day at work I had to drive a brand new Ford F 250 Super Duty, Ram 2500 Turbo Diesel, and a Chevy 2500 Duramax Diesel and IMO the Ram, with a 4" lift and 35" tires drove the best. I was amazed at the ride and how well it handled. If I were in the market for a new truck I would give the Ram a serious look.
Old 07-10-2016, 04:46 AM
JK Junkie

Received 160 Likes on 141 Posts

Originally Posted by Jonathan_JK
I know it says rated for 11k pounds but I know first hand the 2013 F150 towing a 9K trailer was not good. I took turns driving a friends F150 and a 9K camper and I have to say the thing sucked gas like a $5 whore. It was horrible on 5% grades and higher. I felt like I needed a paddle to help it climb and maintain speed on long grades. Look at an 2008 F250 crew cab with the 6.0 diesel they are around 26k you will be way happier with it.
There are so many variations of the F150 in 2013. Are you sure this one had the 3.5 ecoboost? It makes all the difference in the world. Most reviews say that tows better than the 5.0 V8.
Old 07-10-2016, 04:57 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by robsjeep9
Bub-bye mall crawler!!! Why would you even start a thread like this? Your minds made up.... Don't try to pretend that you still want a mall crawling jeep when you want that truck...... Enjoy it
no need to bash me. My jeep is not a mall crawler. I ordered it specifically with manual trans and 3.73 gears and put a bumper on it so I could tow 5000 pounds with it. Romped around in snow as much as possible. Just because I have rock crawled with it doesn't make it a mall crawler. I think the thread is a legitimate topic to post and have gotten some valuable feedback. I am obviously torn because I love and respect my jeep. In 30 yrs of driving it's the only vehicle I purchased new. I've kept detailed records, including mpg for every single tank of gas over 76,000 miles. Another option I am considering is keeping the jeep, but buying an older pickup like around $5000 that I can use for my towing needs.
Old 07-10-2016, 04:59 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by 2014Wrangler
If you haven't driven one lately go drive a new Ram. The ride and drive is amazing, like a car, and the 2500 turbo diesel has plenty of power. One day at work I had to drive a brand new Ford F 250 Super Duty, Ram 2500 Turbo Diesel, and a Chevy 2500 Duramax Diesel and IMO the Ram, with a 4" lift and 35" tires drove the best. I was amazed at the ride and how well it handled. If I were in the market for a new truck I would give the Ram a serious look.
I'm not in the market for a "new" truck. I'm in the market for a truck priced around $25k. I have read reviews that say the ram drives really nice.
Old 07-10-2016, 06:32 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rob_engineer
no need to bash me. My jeep is not a mall crawler. I ordered it specifically with manual trans and 3.73 gears and put a bumper on it so I could tow 5000 pounds with it. Romped around in snow as much as possible. Just because I have rock crawled with it doesn't make it a mall crawler. I think the thread is a legitimate topic to post and have gotten some valuable feedback. I am obviously torn because I love and respect my jeep. In 30 yrs of driving it's the only vehicle I purchased new. I've kept detailed records, including mpg for every single tank of gas over 76,000 miles. Another option I am considering is keeping the jeep, but buying an older pickup like around $5000 that I can use for my towing needs.
for the record I wasn't bashing you just being stern like when a parent tells his child sh*t or get off the pot. It sounded to me like you had your mind made up with the truck and you don't off-road your jeep...... Hope you find a solution sounds like a plan buying the used truck and still be able to enjoy the jeep as well.
Old 07-10-2016, 07:20 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by robsjeep9
for the record I wasn't bashing you just being stern like when a parent tells his child sh*t or get off the pot. It sounded to me like you had your mind made up with the truck and you don't off-road your jeep...... Hope you find a solution sounds like a plan buying the used truck and still be able to enjoy the jeep as well.
Yeah. I don't have an immediate need since I don't have a heavy trailer and have to help my daughter pay for graduate school. I'll continue to pursue both options for my towing needs. I Very intentionally bought the lifetime warranty when I ordered my jeep because I planned to keep it for many years. Maybe i will still stick to that plan. (Though that F150 with 3.5 ecoboost is incredibly nice).
Old 07-10-2016, 07:22 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 2008 JK and a 2016 F150 XLT 4x4 with the 5.0 V8. I love them both. The F150 will not wheel like a Jeep does and the Jeep will not tow like the F150 will. You need both. Period.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1864083100.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	414.8 KB
ID:	651941   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3214527857.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	550.6 KB
ID:	651942  
Old 07-10-2016, 09:15 AM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

If you don't go off road I think a wrangler is a waste. There are so many better daily drivers. I love my wrangler but if I was not using it off road I'd be in a pickup if I needed to tow. I tow a Jayco 195RB Baja edition with mine but it is on the fringe of being too heavy at 3000 dry. I would look seriously at a Toyota Tacoma as still could go mild off road and better tow capacity. Plus if just wanting something cool just in case they have a strong overland type following.
Old 07-10-2016, 09:26 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by jadmt
If you don't go off road I think a wrangler is a waste. There are so many better daily drivers. I love my wrangler but if I was not using it off road I'd be in a pickup if I needed to tow. I tow a Jayco 195RB Baja edition with mine but it is on the fringe of being too heavy at 3000 dry. I would look seriously at a Toyota Tacoma as still could go mild off road and better tow capacity. Plus if just wanting something cool just in case they have a strong overland type following.
Thanks. By the way, if you are using a weight distribution hitch, the factory setup sucks. I highly recommend the smittybilt XRC bumper as it is rated for 5000 pounds. Really made a huge improvement when towing my former toy hauler with the weight distribution hitch. The crossbar is weak and twists with the factory setup. The XRC solves this and makes the hitch more effective at stopping the jeep from porpoising over bumps.
Old 07-10-2016, 11:12 AM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

Quick Reply: Replace JKU with F150?